walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Need a trail recommendation

Need a trail recommendation

Postby rantri » Tue May 17, 2022 1:24 pm

Hello everyone

I'm planning to visit Scotland in October for a backpacking trip. I'm in good shape, have all the ultralight gear. But no match experience in backpacking.
I was overwhelmed by the number of long trails in Scotland. Can anyone please recommend to me a beautiful trail of about 100-150 km to focus on?
Is October is a resemble season for hiking?
rantri
Backpacker

Re: Need a trail recommendation

Postby MRG1 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:27 am

I've not completed any if the long distance walks, I'm more of a day walker, you'll probably get some very informative replies once people see your question but in the meantime I'll try to offer up my opinion.
The most obvious choice might be the West Highland Way, the infrastructure seems to be well established for accommodation and transfer of everything (apart from your daypack) from accommodation to accommodation.
It's just over 150km long.
But one thing that is really catching my attention is you saying that you have "all the ultralight gear."
Do you mean good quality 3 / 4 season gear but light in actual weight?
If not then you may need to assess your gear for a trip to Scotland in October.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:24   

Postby MRG1 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:34 am

Sorry I forgot to respond to your last bit.
October in Scotland can be very nice to hike in.
However, as I've already hinted at, October is the point at which the weather really begins to start turning towards winter so be aware of that, there can be lovely sunny days as well as cold, windy, wet days.
On the plus side it's out of the famed midge season so you'd be unlikely to be eaten alive :D
Hopefully some long distance walkers will reply to you to give a better idea of a suitable long distance walk for later months.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:24   

Postby NickyRannoch » Thu May 19, 2022 11:51 am

When in October? First week and last week are very different temperatures and hours of light.

Do you want to camp or stay in hotels/hostels?

How many days do you want to be walking?

The light and the landscape can be really beautiful in October but it can also be very cold as winter starts to arrive and overnights dipping below zero and snow aren't unheard of.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Holly » Thu May 19, 2022 9:25 pm

I would as others suggest , consider the WHW. Its a good option at that time of year for again the reasons mentioned. You are not far from camping spots although if you are coming the end of October some camp sites if you plan on using them might close so worth checking. A shorter route but a lovely one where you could spend some extra time doing some Munros/hills is the Glen Affric trail. The route is on here. There is a bothy half way too which may be utilised but also handy to camp near.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby davekeiller » Sat May 21, 2022 1:45 pm

October is very much a month of changes.
The autumn equinox is about 21 September, so at the beginning of the month, sunrise will be shortly after 7am and sunset shortly before 7pm, giving about 11 hours of daylight. By the end of the month, you've probably lost 2 hours a day off that. The further north you go, the earlier sunset will be.

The first frost can be expected sometime in late October, and the first storms of winter often hit in late October or early November. On the other hand, you might get stable high pressure giving crisp, clear days with vivid colour and blue skies.

October is also the end of the tourist season, so places like campsites, B&B's or youth hostels may well be starting to close for winter.

Probably the best options if this is your first long distance walk would be the West Highland Way or Great Glen way. Both are fairly well trafficked and neither is too far from civilisation.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Essan » Sat May 21, 2022 8:47 pm

Affric Kintail Trail would be a good option

http://www.affrickintailway.com/
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion