walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walking / Hiking in Wales

Walking / Hiking in Wales

Postby soniajackett » Wed May 18, 2022 11:45 am

Hi all,

We've decided to get out of our comfort zone / do something out of the ordinary and go walking this year in......Wales! :lol:

Going in July with our 4 year old Australian Shepherd. We're all keen walkers, love scrambling - Freya (our dog) has done plenty a munro and long hike with us.

Looking for recommendations for good day hikes in Wales. It's when you look outside Scotland for advice on hiking you realise how truly amazing a resource WalkHighlands is (So thank you Paul and Helen and everyone else that contributes).

We'll obviously be doing Snowdonia (and very early too to avoid the crowds), staying in North West Wales so walks around there please. Tryfran looks cracking but is it possible with a dog?

Thanks all!
soniajackett
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1
Islands:9

Re: Walking / Hiking in Wales

Postby prog99 » Wed May 18, 2022 1:13 pm

Be prepared for some parking shenanigans on the popular hills.
We helped rescue a dog and it’s owners off of Tryfran, very complex hill if you don’t know it.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby simon-b » Wed May 18, 2022 1:36 pm

Hi Sonia. If you're used to Munros you'll know all the usual measures to take regarding mountain weather. One other thing worth mentioning is that, if you hit a July Welsh heat wave, be prepared for very warm conditions even at 1000 metres high, which can be very dehydrating and energy sapping. This isn't guaranteed, of course, the usual British mountain weather unpredictability is the norm. But I've felt noticeably hotter on Welsh 3000 footers than I ever have on those in Scotland or the Lake District.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Skyelines » Wed May 18, 2022 1:45 pm

If you want to avoid the crowds you could go up the Carneddau from Aber Falls. The hills north of the Carneddau are really nice.
There are the Moelwyns which can be done from Croesor. A bit further south are the Rhinogs and Y Llethr.
If you are interested in archeology Yr Eifl is worth a look with the hill fort of Tre'r Ceiri on its flank.
And of course there is the Nantlle ridge from Rhyd Ddu, a great walk.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 18, 2022 2:00 pm

I think my top picks would be:

Snowdon Horseshoe (start very early or late).
Tryfan and the Glyders (Tryfan N ridge and Bristly ridge good scrambles but optional - Tryfan via Heather Terrace should be fine for the dog).
Y Garn and Elidir Fawr from Nant Peris.
Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Llewelyn and Yr Elen from Bethesda (optional scramble in Crib Lem).
Cnicht and Moelwyns from Croesor.
Nanttle Ridge (but not so easy to make a natural circuit).
Moel Siabod for a short day

Outwith Snowdonia:
Rhinogs
Cader Idris

Be prepared to be stung hard for parking charges!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed May 18, 2022 2:15 pm

jmarkb wrote:I think my top picks would be:

Snowdon Horseshoe (start very early or late).
Tryfan and the Glyders (Tryfan N ridge and Bristly ridge good scrambles but optional - Tryfan via Heather Terrace should be fine for the dog).
Y Garn and Elidir Fawr from Nant Peris.
Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Llewelyn and Yr Elen from Bethesda (optional scramble in Crib Lem).
Cnicht and Moelwyns from Croesor.
Nanttle Ridge (but not so easy to make a natural circuit).
Moel Siabod for a short day

Outwith Snowdonia:
Rhinogs
Cader Idris

Be prepared to be stung hard for parking charges!

I think my own list would be very similar!

Dogs do go up Tryfan by the North Ridge, but I'd say unless your used to scrambling regularly with your dog, you might want to try some shorter scrambles.

I'd also add that for a change of scenery, heading for a day on the Lleyn Peninsula is lovely (with possible hill option or Yr Eifl), or over to Anglesey for some coastal stuff.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby soniajackett » Thu May 19, 2022 9:36 am

Amazing, thank you all very much. I will look into those routes and see whats what. I'll let you know how we get on!
soniajackett
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1
Islands:9

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion