walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Falls of Glomach from Glen Elchaig - start point query

Falls of Glomach from Glen Elchaig - start point query

Postby denfinella » Wed May 18, 2022 9:07 pm

The WH route to the Falls of Glomach via Glen Elchaig starts at the car park near Killilan school, on the north bank of the river.

However, there appears to be a car park further up the glen at Camas-luinie which would shave off a good few miles of approach track (it's on the other side of the river, but there is a bridge marked on OS maps to get across a few km further up.

Is this shorter route still viable? I've an inkling that the WH route indeed used to start at Camas-luinie too - perhaps something has changed that has made this route problematic?

Would also appreciate opinions on how much in spate the burns just before the falls would need to be to be unsafe to cross, e.g., what about after this week's rain?

Might be an option for tomorrow...
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Falls of Glomach from Glen Elchaig - start point query

Postby dav2930 » Wed May 18, 2022 10:36 pm

We started at Killilan because that approach is great for bikes. If not cycling, I would assume the Camas-luinie approach is shorter and quicker, though I've not been that way. There's a substantial footbridge over the main burn just before entering the gorge. The path up through the gorge to the falls is quite narrow and exposed but safe enough with care. And the falls themselves are jaw- dropping - well worth the effort.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu May 19, 2022 12:40 am

I'm not up to date enough for your first question but I would recommend starting from Killilan. You need to assess the burns when you get there but I can't envisage any issues after the recent weather.

It's a fantastic route up to the Falls (the greatest falls in the whole of the land)

All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Paul Webster » Thu May 19, 2022 7:18 am

We used to have it from Camas-luinie which was shorter as you say but also wetter / rougher, so I decided to swap things to use the great track. Both do work!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby denfinella » Thu May 19, 2022 7:40 pm

Thanks all. We walked to the falls from Camas-luinie today and they were indeed very impressive.

No problems at all with the burn crossings, but plenty of water coming over the falls.

As Paul says, the path along the south bank before it joins the Killilan track is quite wet at times, but it was quite scenic and probably did save some time, which was useful as we were walking elsewhere earlier in the day. With a bike the Killilan route would definitely be much better!

There were several cars parked at the Killilan car park as we drove past, but we were the only ones starting from Camas-luinie. A sign of just how popular WH is nowadays? :) The path up to the falls was quite busy with Cape Wrath Trail hikers.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion