walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hill of Fare access from Raemoir

Hill of Fare access from Raemoir

Postby Andy Milne » Fri May 20, 2022 7:20 am

I passed here on the way back from the Cairngorms yesterday.
The area that you used to park on has now been filled over with soil and protected by some very large rocks.
They look to have only left a single lane through, for the houses further up, and with no parking space available, just to make anyone aware that was hoping to park here
Andy Milne
Hill Bagger

Munros:230   Corbetts:42
Fionas:18   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Hill of Fare access from Raemoir

Postby Paul Webster » Fri May 20, 2022 9:07 am

This is really disappointing to hear. Originally the hotel owner wanted us to tell people to park at the hotel, which was the case for years. Later we were asked to change things to bar this when it became an exclusive use venue. We've also made several changes to the route on their later requests around privacy and have complied with these - they even provided our wording for this parking.

This was a very popular local walk. The access code states that "Where appropriate, such as where there is a lot of informal parking causing local concerns, work with your local authority and other bodies to see if a formal car park could be provided" but this is a part of the code that is never mentioned / ignored all over Scotland.

:(
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Backpacker » Fri May 20, 2022 12:11 pm

I was going to post this later

I walked it before from Raemoir with no issues, went over during the week after work to find the parking area, off limits, with no other parking really available nearby, I went to one of the other car parks to climb it from the north, not as fine a walk and a bit too short
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby AyronC » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:22 pm

Hi on a slightly related note, I often do a circular route from the Echt side, right across the tops towards the hut and descend down to the hotel in order to cut through to the farm at the other side of the hotel and climb back up the hill past the quarry but this morning I found the gate at the back of the hotel was locked with a brand new padlock and what looks like new posts and barbed wire at either side. I had to squeeze under the gate to get past it. I'm pretty sure though that this track and gate is for public access up onto the hill? Or is there another way up I'm missing?
AyronC
Mountaineer

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:40 am

Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby AyronC » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:34 am

Thanks, reported..
AyronC
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion