walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Leaving gear behind while summiting

Re: Leaving gear behind while summiting

Postby Senja » Wed May 25, 2022 10:51 pm

Never considered it a problem. Once returned to a pack to find it full of ptarmigan (Suilven) but otherwise I have been left alone - likewise the bike (which I use as I cannot walk more than about 10km). I used to carry a orange/black scarf to aid finding it again.
Senja

Munros:132   Corbetts:27
Fionas:189   Donalds:58
Sub 2000:479   Hewitts:298
Wainwrights:97   Islands:64

Postby rgf101 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:40 am

It depends what the circumstances are and exactly what you're leaving. Once you're off busy routes, it's most likely safe. The Ben Nevis main route can be very busy, so I wouldn't leave anything on the path. But if, say, you'd be camping on the far side of the halfway lochan, I'd happily leave a tent with backpack inside* there while I went up and back down - the chances of anyone trekking over from the path to poke around inside are next to zero.

*in terms of risk of theft, I'd be happy. I'd feel guilty about spoiling the view.
rgf101

Postby Girl Outdoors » Thu May 26, 2022 11:13 am

Never ever had a problem. But anywhere that I've left gear is well off the beaten track and remote anyway. And I've always left it hidden behind rocks or other means of seclusion as well. And all my gear including tent and rucksack is blend in with the environment colours so dosent stand out. No one is likely to notice my tent pitched on the hill let alone stashed.

As to finding it again? I have a sure fire way of finding it that wont let me down.
Girl Outdoors
Wanderer

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu May 26, 2022 11:31 am

Just saw this on Facebucket's All Things Cuillin page:

ATC.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Thu May 26, 2022 12:01 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Just saw this on Facebucket's All Things Cuillin page:

ATC.jpg

What is the likelihood of someone being swayed by that appeal who was scummy enough to steal it in the first place?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Fiona Reid » Thu May 26, 2022 12:10 pm

I've left gear lots of times when doing an out and back to a summit. I'll always keep my mobile, car key etc with me.

I'd think twice if somewhere really busy though, e.g. near main paths in the Lakes or busy hills like Ben Nevis etc.

Ravens are very good at raiding rucksacks. There's some very smart ones on Buachaille Etive Mor. Climbers often leave their sacks at the foot of Rannoch Wall whilst they climb. The Buachaille ravens have sussed out both zips and drawcords rather well. We watched one break into our pals rucksack for an apple, it opened the rucksack lid zip and helped itself. Shouting at it made no difference.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby mproudfoot » Thu May 26, 2022 1:45 pm

I've done that plenty of times, leaving my camping gear and/or my bike whilst summiting, without worrying about it. Generally the more remote a location is, the safer it's likely to be - most of the thieving gits probably wouldn't bother with a 5mi walk in/out to steal someone's stuff, though I probably wouldn't leave my stuff in obviously sight around some of the more popular hills (e.g. Ben Lomond). That said, I no longer spend over the odds on expensive gear - a Vango tent, a fairly cheapo sleeping bag/mat, and a budget hardtail mountain bike are barely worth nicking.
mproudfoot
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:21   Donalds:28+11
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:10

Postby PonSta » Thu May 26, 2022 6:34 pm

Big thank you to everyone who has replied. We've certaintly gotten alot of response and we'll be cautious if we decide to drop something off. So if anyone of you are planning on hiking along the Great Glen way by the end of June, beginning of July and hear or see six swedish dudes looking lost don't be afraid to say hello. :lol: 8)
PonSta
Backpacker

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun May 29, 2022 4:41 pm

Interesting discussion. Did Beinn Dearg circuit near Ullapool back on Tuesday.

Left my bag behind the wall before popping up to the summit of Beinn Dearg. Then again before popping up Cona Mheall. I didn’t hide it but placed it such that most people wouldn’t notice it and also marked it on my GPS. It is, for me, a long route, so stashing my bag makes things easier and on balance reduces risk. I was knackered after that walk and rested the following day.

Yesterday I did Maoile Lunndaidh using my ebike to access the hill. First time I have used my ebike to access a hill. Fantastic! I could potentially do it without the ebike, but I would have been absolutely done after the walk. And yes despite what I assume to be the very low risk of my bike being nicked I still hid and locked it. After the walk I was just about as fresh as a daisy.

I guess as others have said, the key thing is how busy the area is.

Really surprised to hear somebody lost gear on the Cuillin. Not good.

Have a great walk Pon Sta.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Backpacker » Mon May 30, 2022 12:16 pm

I'll need to try and find it again but I recollect a post on FB (unsurprisingly) where someone had found a stashed rucksack on a hillside (might've been down south). Lots of people commenting did the right thing etc etc, only for a rather irate owner of said rucksack to comment he had to cut his walk short when he came back from whatever top (said he'd been about 45 mins) to find it missing.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion