walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Leaving gear behind while summiting

Leaving gear behind while summiting

Postby PonSta » Sat May 21, 2022 11:02 am

Hello everyone!
I am new to the site and brand new to highland hiking as well.
However I have experience of hiking here in Sweden where I'm from.

This summer me and some friends of mine are coming over to Scotland for the first time to summit Ben Nevis and to hike the Great Glen way.
When I'm hiking here in Sweden leaving tents and larger backpacks behind while summiting is no big deal since everyone does it. So therefore I'm wondering if this applies to Scotland as well. Could our group feel safe leaving our gear behind while summiting Ben Nevis for example?

Thanks in advance for any replies and maby we'll see some of you along the trail!
PonSta
Backpacker

Re: Leaving gear behind while summiting

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun May 22, 2022 11:48 am

PonSta wrote: ...When I'm hiking here in Sweden leaving tents and larger backpacks behind while summiting is no big deal since everyone does it. So therefore I'm wondering if this applies to Scotland as well. Could our group feel safe leaving our gear behind while summiting Ben Nevis for example?

It all depends where you are camping. If on a campsite, such as the one in Glen Nevis which many people use for attempting Ben Nevis, I think you would be safe enough. But if you are just camping away up in the hills and glens, it may not be safe to leave your kit. Years ago it was usually ok, but now there are many more people going to the hills, people who lack the old-fashioned ethos of not stealing other peoples' stuff. My plan to spread the good word of not stealing from tents by impaling the severed heads of theives on spikes, or leaving them in piles on hilltops across the highlands, is apparently frowned upon these days. :shock:
Pile of Skulls#1.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby gld73 » Sun May 22, 2022 11:57 am

As above (minus the skulls :lol: ) - fine to leave things on an official campsite, but no way I'd risk leaving stuff anywhere else in the vicinity of Ben Nevis. More remote mountains really only done by dedicated by hillwalkers it's probably okay, but Ben Nevis is a busy mountain and it's not worth the risk of someone spotting your stuff and thinking "ooh, free stuff has been left lying around!".
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby TheRealLurlock » Sun May 22, 2022 2:34 pm

Don't mountain bikers who ride in to get to summits faster find places to hide their bikes all the time?
TheRealLurlock
Backpacker

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Postby PonSta » Sun May 22, 2022 2:35 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
PonSta wrote: ...When I'm hiking here in Sweden leaving tents and larger backpacks behind while summiting is no big deal since everyone does it. So therefore I'm wondering if this applies to Scotland as well. Could our group feel safe leaving our gear behind while summiting Ben Nevis for example?

My plan to spread the good word of not stealing from tents by impaling the severed heads of theives on spikes, or leaving them in piles on hilltops across the highlands, is apparently frowned upon these days. :shock:
Pile of Skulls#1.jpg

Ah yes.. Just like the good old days :lol:
No but jokes aside, thank you all for the respone. Shame that people can't tell yours from mine. Guess we'll just have to suck it up and carry our loads. 8)
PonSta
Backpacker

Postby denfinella » Sun May 22, 2022 5:06 pm

Depending on the area you were planning to leave your stuff, you could probably find somewhere out of sight where it would be safe enough. As long as you remember where you left it!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby al78 » Sun May 22, 2022 5:45 pm

If it is not safe to leave your kit outside campsites, what do you do if you walk into Culra bothy and intend to bag the nearby munros over 2-3 days?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Jim777 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:37 pm

I used to do quite a bit of solo wild camping in the past where it was required to gain some of the more distant summits.In these instances I would camp overnight and set off in the morning leaving behind my tent, sleeping bag etc..What I would do is take the stuff sacks for them with me making the load for summiting a lot lighter.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun May 22, 2022 7:45 pm

I only ever leave my pack in the more remote areas and only at the bealach (col) when nipping up to the summit.

Tents are usually safe in campsites but take your valuables with you.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Mal Grey » Sun May 22, 2022 8:27 pm

As others suggest, in more remote and less popular areas, I wouldn't expect a problem. However more touristy spots, and Ben Nevis is definitely one of those, unfortunately don't see the normal high standards of behaviour and respect that you'd hope for in mountain or wilderness areas. I therefore wouldn't leave my gear on or near these popular routes. You'd be fine on campsites though, I'm sure.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby NickyRannoch » Sun May 22, 2022 9:15 pm

Its perfectly safe but that would stop people giving their state of the union speech.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Alteknacker » Sun May 22, 2022 10:25 pm

I've done this many times - usually at a bealach, so in relatively remote places. The only problem I've experienced is finding the sac again. I once spent 45 minutes locating my sac after I'd left it among rocks while I did an out-and-back to a Munro.

I've also passed sacs a goodly number of times while out on the hills.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby malrc » Mon May 23, 2022 10:49 am

I too have left my backpack (again, usually at a bealach) many times. Including in Lochnagar/Glenshee which attracts a reasonable number of more casual walkers. I've never had any issues. However, that's not to say it will always be the case, especially somewhere like Ben Nevis. I would personally leave my stuff behind...

Has anyone on here actually had stuff nabbed?
malrc
Hill Bagger

Munros:48   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:20
Islands:3

Postby DavidShepherd » Mon May 23, 2022 11:50 am

I've left stuff behind on a few occasions - in more remote areas and in Glencoe where it's been pretty heavy foot traffic past the tent and had nothing stolen.
I think most people would be respectful of stuff and to be honest I think there's a lot of old fashioned folk on this site that think young people in the hills equals disrespect and vandalism.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby ChrisButch » Mon May 23, 2022 3:02 pm

One of those mini culture shifts which over time add up to something bigger. There was a time when route descriptions, guides etc would routinely say 'leave your rucksack at the col'. No longer.
ChrisButch

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion