walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glenshee Parking

Glenshee Parking

Postby pmilne » Sun May 22, 2022 9:47 am

Planning to do East Glenshee Six on Monday. Parking at the Shee. Looking at their website, they charge £3.

Is this correct?
pmilne
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   

Re: Glenshee Parking

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun May 22, 2022 10:07 am

Yup. Think you're supposed to print off a ticket yourself and put it on your dashboard. I turned up not knowing this and the place wasn't open yet but went and paid later which they were fine with.

There are plenty of other places to park but it'll probably involve some road walking.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby davemorrissey » Sun May 22, 2022 5:15 pm

Or, if you believe a different page on their site it's £5. https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Parking-Facilities-at-Glenshee

It's a few years since I parked there and I had no idea it was a paid car park, perhaps it wasn't then. Anyway for the East 6 I parked in the layby 2km North of the ski centre, as suggested by the WH route. That probably requires a very early start now.
davemorrissey

Munros:82   Corbetts:12
Fionas:11   Donalds:37+18
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:24
Islands:19

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun May 22, 2022 6:40 pm

I was there last month they had a few signs up asking for £3 to park on the waste ground on the other side of road. You can pay at cafe or online. Wouldn't surprise me if they have now bumped that up to £5. I'm not sure they expect you to pay that if you are only going in for a coffee. Never charged there before and there is plenty free parking round about if you don't wish to give them a fiver. If you do there is toilet facilities so it is a personal choice.

Cairngorm ski Centre charging for parking now also with new automatic barriers. Plenty of parking outside the barriers which most people were using when I got there early.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby pmilne » Sun May 22, 2022 9:07 pm

Thanks. I was wanting to park there rather than 2km North so i didn't have to trek down after finishing the walk but if its a fiver, id rather park further down in the lay by for free.

Thanks for everyone's input
pmilne
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   

Postby KatTai » Sun May 22, 2022 9:46 pm

Oops, was there a couple of times last year and never noticed anything about paying for parking :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun May 22, 2022 11:27 pm

KatTai wrote:Oops, was there a couple of times last year and never noticed anything about paying for parking :lol:

It's a fairly new thing at Glenshee, a evil (😈) practice spreading from the south that never seemed necessary in the highlands until fairly recently - not sure what changed?. I didn't see that many cars displaying a ticket but some people do like paying for parking on a bit of wasteland, and if it gives them some piece of mind or feeling of security fair enough. :?

More seriously though, I don't think it is compulsory and there are plenty other parking options in the area anyway. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby al78 » Mon May 23, 2022 9:18 am

If you are doing the east 6, you could leave a bike at the car park 2 km north of the ski centre, park at the car park about 2 km south of the ski centre, and do a linear route over the six munros, cycling back to the car at the end (it is not that much of a climb to the pass from the northern car park).
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby al78 » Mon May 23, 2022 9:26 am

Sunset tripper wrote:
KatTai wrote:Oops, was there a couple of times last year and never noticed anything about paying for parking :lol:

It's a fairly new thing at Glenshee, a evil (😈) practice spreading from the south that never seemed necessary in the highlands until fairly recently - not sure what changed?.:D

The area is becoming more and more rammed full at certain times of the year like in the South, so the car parks become rammed full like in the South, so the local authority decides it is reasonable to charge for parking. The highlands is in danger of becoming a victim of its own success as a tourist destination.
al78
Walker

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:04 am

al78 wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:

It's a fairly new thing at Glenshee, a evil (😈) practice spreading from the south that never seemed necessary in the highlands until fairly recently - not sure what changed?.:D

The area is becoming more and more rammed full at certain times of the year like in the South, so the car parks become rammed full like in the South, so the local authority decides it is reasonable to charge for parking. The highlands is in danger of becoming a victim of its own success as a tourist destination.

Not sure the council has anything to do with these charges tbh.

Given that ski resorts will be unviable in Scotland in the near future I don't think it's unreasonable for places like Glenshee to adapt their business and try to recoup money from other sources. If it's still 3 quid I think that's very reasonable for somewhere to leave your car for several hours (with CCTV) that has toilets and somewhere to get something to eat and drink. 5 quid is pushing it a bit but would by no means be outrageous compared to some other places.

I'd actually rather see more places charging for parking so long as facilities are also provided. It'd make a nice change from having to leave your car on a verge somewhere hoping that it doesn't get ticketed or crunched by a tractor.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby al78 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:44 am

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:
al78 wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:The area is becoming more and more rammed full at certain times of the year like in the South, so the car parks become rammed full like in the South, so the local authority decides it is reasonable to charge for parking. The highlands is in danger of becoming a victim of its own success as a tourist destination.

Not sure the council has anything to do with these charges tbh.

Given that ski resorts will be unviable in Scotland in the near future I don't think it's unreasonable for places like Glenshee to adapt their business and try to recoup money from other sources. If it's still 3 quid I think that's very reasonable for somewhere to leave your car for several hours (with CCTV) that has toilets and somewhere to get something to eat and drink. 5 quid is pushing it a bit but would by no means be outrageous compared to some other places.

I'd actually rather see more places charging for parking so long as facilities are also provided. It'd make a nice change from having to leave your car on a verge somewhere hoping that it doesn't get ticketed or crunched by a tractor.

I was thinking more of the general case of car parking charges, not specifically the Glenshee ski centre. Parking charges are a common thing that gets complained about on here. The Lake District and Snowdonia charge quite high prices for parking in certain honeypot areas, which I suspect is a combination of them being rammed full and the local authority seeing it as a source of income. If the Scottish highlands continues to get busier and busier during the peak tourist season, I can see charges for constructed car parks at least becoming more widespread and more expensive over time. The problem with the Scottish highlands is the public transport alternative in many parts outside the big towns and cities is sparse and patchy, and frequently unsuitable for anything other than easily accessible hills or short to moderate hill days. The Lake District by contrast has an excellent bus service which makes linear walks across ranges of fells very easy if you base yourself at one of the main population centres e.g. Keswick or Ambleside (at least it did 20 years ago).
al78
Walker

Postby JohnZD » Mon May 23, 2022 12:44 pm

Must be new. Don’t recall that from last year. Interesting to know the coverage area as lots of people park at the high point with the path to Glas Maol.
Glen Coe has signs up for parking but it’s a donation.
JohnZD
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:8
Fionas:55   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   Islands:17

Postby jupe1407 » Mon May 23, 2022 3:13 pm

I think the charging probably began last year - I did the Cairnwells earlier in the spring - no charge, when we came back in July for the eastern 4 there was a charge and they had a warden guy going about with a contactless terminal - it was £3.

I don't really have a problem with it tbh, as stated above Ski resorts make hardly anything over our increasingly rubbish winters now and it's not unreasonable to charge £3 for the use of their land, toilet facilities etc. As others have stated anyone who doesn't want to pay it can easily park further away.

It's a comparative bargain to the Spittal of Glenmuick's facilities of a half decent toilet and a visitor "centre" with perhaps the worst tasting vending machine coffee in all of Scotland.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby tigerburnie » Fri May 27, 2022 9:58 am

I was charged a £5 earlier in the year, not sure if they actually "police" it as I never noticed any staff leave the building, small price to pay for a day out really.
tigerburnie

Munros:6   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion