walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Corrour to Fort William

Corrour to Fort William

Postby ohsosky » Thu May 26, 2022 3:42 pm

I’m planning to walk from Corrour station to ft William over the next few weeks depending on the weather. I’ve had a look at the map and I’m going to cross the bridge at the lodge down the bottom of Loch Treig and stick North of the Abhainn Rath, heading west for Meanach but will most likely camp if not empty because my dog likes to bark at people in the night :?

If I keep sticking North it looks like I should not have to cross the wire bridge at Glen Nevis, at least that is what my map is telling me. I’m worried about getting the dog across any other big crossings too if anybody has walked this and can point any other big obstacles out to me or any advice!

ohsosky
Backpacker

Re: Corrour to Fort William

Postby Ewen1966 » Thu May 26, 2022 3:55 pm

Just finished Rannoch to Glen Nevis. Slept in Meanach on Tuesday night. Every burn between Meanach and Steall was in spate yesterday and it was difficult crossing. I had to wade 3. :D
I couldn't be bothered walking upstream too far and if it hasn't been raining it should be cross able with the dog. Two English guys I met had done it the day before with their Spaniel.
If it rains like this week, then it may be more difficult. Can you carry the dog?
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   

Postby ohsosky » Thu May 26, 2022 4:06 pm

Ewen1966 wrote:Just finished Rannoch to Glen Nevis. Slept in Meanach on Tuesday night. Every burn between Meanach and Steall was in spate yesterday and it was difficult crossing. I had to wade 3. :D
I couldn't be bothered walking upstream too far and if it hasn't been raining it should be cross able with the dog. Two English guys I met had done it the day before with their Spaniel.
If it rains like this week, then it may be more difficult. Can you carry the dog?

Thanks for the info! I can carry him, he is a miniature schnauzer and less than 10kg. He will protest at being carried but if I splash him with a bit of water he will quickly stop :lol: I think I will wait for slightly better weather. I don’t mind the rain but he will be miserable, I seem to have one of these water hating dogs? Not great in our climate :?
ohsosky
Backpacker

Postby prog99 » Thu May 26, 2022 5:03 pm

Your crux will be getting a train!
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby BigTed » Thu May 26, 2022 6:14 pm

Corrour to Spean Bridge is a decent alternative. No tricky stream crossings as far as I remember. Lessroad walking to get to the station at the end. Choice of bothies.

Either straight through from Loch Treig head or to Meanach then up over the bealach to the Larig bothy.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby ohsosky » Thu May 26, 2022 6:20 pm

prog99 wrote:Your crux will be getting a train!

I have made “alternative arrangements” as per scotrail advice 8)

D99B9806-0C6B-4AC5-93E8-60E61ECA3C22.jpeg
ohsosky
Backpacker

Postby Essan » Thu May 26, 2022 8:36 pm

You'll not need to cross the wire bridge at Steall - the path through upper Glen Nevis is on the north side of the river. Only crossing is the Abhainn Rath west of Meanach, but that should be fine unless in spate.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby TheRealLurlock » Thu May 26, 2022 10:00 pm

I've done this exact route recently as part of a larger walk from Dalwhinnie to Fort William via Corrour (the Thieves' Road).

You should be aware that the ground becomes extremely rough and boggy to the East of Staoineag and remains so almost the entire way to Steall. Whilst there is a path marked on most maps, it is often underwater, muddied over or difficult to follow. If it is raining the many tributaries of the Abhainn Rath may become difficult to cross. I would say gaiters are a necessity and even then you may end up with water-filled boots, depending on the conditions.
TheRealLurlock
Backpacker

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Postby al78 » Thu May 26, 2022 10:49 pm

TheRealLurlock wrote:I've done this exact route recently as part of a larger walk from Dalwhinnie to Fort William via Corrour (the Thieves' Road).

You should be aware that the ground becomes extremely rough and boggy to the East of Staoineag and remains so almost the entire way to Steall. Whilst there is a path marked on most maps, it is often underwater, muddied over or difficult to follow. If it is raining the many tributaries of the Abhainn Rath may become difficult to cross. I would say gaiters are a necessity and even then you may end up with water-filled boots, depending on the conditions.

I've thought of having a go at this route with the addition of maybe taking in some Munros en-route. If you start at Corrour and pack light, it should be possible instead of going along the glen, to either climb onto the Mammores or the Lochaber range and follow the ridge to near Fort William. I think there is a conveniently placed bothy near the base of Stob Ban.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby ohsosky » Fri May 27, 2022 3:08 pm

BigTed wrote:Corrour to Spean Bridge is a decent alternative. No tricky stream crossings as far as I remember. Lessroad walking to get to the station at the end. Choice of bothies.

Either straight through from Loch Treig head or to Meanach then up over the bealach to the Larig bothy.

Thanks for the suggestion, I might try this too. Looks less boggy so probably better for the weather just now
ohsosky
Backpacker

Postby ohsosky » Fri May 27, 2022 3:10 pm

TheRealLurlock wrote:I've done this exact route recently as part of a larger walk from Dalwhinnie to Fort William via Corrour (the Thieves' Road).

Thanks for the info. It shows some bog on the map but good to know just how boggy it is. I think I’ll wait for slightly better weather for this one. At least less rain, my main worry is river crossings with it being in spate
ohsosky
Backpacker

Postby Scottk » Fri May 27, 2022 11:46 pm

I walked this about 10 days ago. Path is ok but very boggy. There isn’t any big crossings to make. The ground round Meanach is bad and pretty chewed up as they had the Scottish 6 day trial event (motorbikes) going through there recently. It is easily walked in a day but there are a couple of decent camp spots closer to Steall falls.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sat May 28, 2022 11:44 am

No need to cross the wire bridge, but as others have said the approach (and beyond) to Meanach is boggy.

Corrour Station is a fantastic launch pad for mini through hikes. We did a cracking winter hike from Corrour to Glen Coe, catching the bus at the ski centre back to Bridge of Orchy to fetch the car.

WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby ohsosky » Sat May 28, 2022 1:38 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:No need to cross the wire bridge, but as others have said the approach (and beyond) to Meanach is boggy.

Corrour Station is a fantastic launch pad for mini through hikes. We did a cracking winter hike from Corrour to Glen Coe, catching the bus at the ski centre back to Bridge of Orchy to fetch the car.

I think I’ll get a set of walking poles, hopefully helpful in the bog and your river crossing using them has convinced me :lol:

Great video. Looks like a good route. I don’t know if I could stomach walking by the dam like yous did though, I’d be too feart :shock:
ohsosky
Backpacker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sat May 28, 2022 7:17 pm

ohsosky wrote:Great video. Looks like a good route. I don’t know if I could stomach walking by the dam like yous did though, I’d be too feart :shock:

Cheers mate, they used to let you cross the dam which imho is probably safer. Good route all the same. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion