walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wild camping spots on Harris and Lewis?

Wild camping spots on Harris and Lewis?

Postby BrightEyes16 » Sat May 28, 2022 7:44 pm

Looking for some nice secluded spots away from the campsites. Has anyone got any knowledge of any or suggestions for areas to look in?

As a side note, would we need to bring our own wood to make (safe) fires, or is there enough woodland to get by?

Thanks.
BrightEyes16

Re: Wild camping spots on Harris and Lewis?

Postby Skyelines » Sat May 28, 2022 8:13 pm

There isn't much woodland in Harris and Lewis and what there is tends to be plantations rather than natural woodland.

The access code does not grant the right to take firewood from natural woodlands or plantations, taking firewood without permission of the landowner is theft.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Tringa » Sun May 29, 2022 8:19 am

Just take a stove, easier to light, easier to control and less damaging to the environment.

Dave
Tringa

Postby ohsosky » Sun May 29, 2022 9:37 am

BrightEyes16 wrote:Looking for some nice secluded spots away from the campsites. Has anyone got any knowledge of any or suggestions for areas to look in?

As a side note, would we need to bring our own wood to make (safe) fires, or is there enough woodland to get by?

Thanks.

I cant advise on camping spots I’ve never been but you would need to bring your own fuel as Skyelines said. Unless you can gather driftwood from the coast? I’m not sure how feasible this would be.

I would recommend one of the folding fire boxes if you must make a fire
ohsosky
Backpacker

Postby NickyRannoch » Sun May 29, 2022 2:07 pm

Almost every inch of land is someone's croft or machair which you shouldn't be lighting fires on or soaking wet.

There's a beautiful campsite at Horgabost which I would highly recommend.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby davekeiller » Sun May 29, 2022 3:12 pm

I understand the appeal of it, but lighting fires is actively discouraged. If you want to light a fire, then the responsible way to do it is to go to a campsite that allows fires and follow their rules.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Phil the Hill » Mon May 30, 2022 12:59 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:Almost every inch of land is someone's croft or machair which you shouldn't be lighting fires on or soaking wet.

There's a beautiful campsite at Horgabost which I would highly recommend.

I'd second that recommendation. You can camp on the short grass in the dunes behind a stunning beach and there's a toilet block.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby KatTai » Mon May 30, 2022 8:08 pm

There was a wild camping site at Uig where I camped, there were toilets there and it was a nice quiet location though there were quite a few other people there the dunes gave a lot of privacy. There was a charge for motorhomes to stay there in a a parking area, I can't remember if a donation was asked for when camping.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion