walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Inconsiderate B’s

Re: Inconsiderate B’s

Postby Booga » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:43 am

Sadly it seems a lot of people want to have their fun but take no responsibility for their actions. This can be seen in incidents like this, bags of dog mess left everywhere around my village, litter in town centres etc etc.
Part of it might be down to education as I've met first time bothy users who have presumed there's a bin they can leave their rubbish in just like everywhere else, and the concept of needing to "have a campfire" has been ingrained into us from childhood story books to going to music festivals to romantic instagram photos etc etc. I've seen plenty of articles suggesting the outdoors as a great free thing to do with just a small bit about responsible behaviour tacked on the end, and people will only take in the info they want from it.
But I suspect there are a lot of people who just don't care and think they can get away with things like this because there's nobody around to see them do it.
If the whole "Think of others and follow the country code" message doesn't reach some people then maybe we need to also push a message that appeals to these people's egos, how to be a "real outdoorsman", "don't act like a spoilt child who's mum still tidies up after them" etc etc. I particularly liked that sign I saw that said "If we all love Scotland then who's leaving all the litter?".
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby Senja » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:27 pm

Last weekend - big pile of litter and branches on the otherwise pristine flowery summit meadows of the Sleeping Giant/Creag an Fhithich, Kinloch Rannoch.

There will be a big ugly fire scar now and for the next few years. It's not just "neds"
Senja

Munros:132   Corbetts:27
Fionas:189   Donalds:58
Sub 2000:479   Hewitts:298
Wainwrights:97   Islands:64

Postby bar72 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:24 pm

exactly why I'm really enjoying the Corbetts / Grahams. No paths so only really responsible baggers before me. Any rubbish I do find (on a blue moon) I'll pop in a bag with my lunch leftovers and carry out.
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:181
Fionas:70   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby gaffr » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:51 am

Similar although less permanent outrage. The remains and junk wrappings of a takeaway meal for maybe two or three folks. Dumped from a vehicle on the verge up to Feshie Bridge....spilled out from a large takeaway bag provided by well known organisation. Odd thing is that as far as know the nearest outlet for this stuff is Inverness.
On my way back from my weekly visit to the MS Cottage where I could get hold of large plastic bag to scoop it all up.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Bonzo » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:30 pm

Graeme D wrote:
al78 wrote:Welcome to don't-give-a-toss UK. There is a subset of society that believe anything goes if they can get away with it, and unfortunately they frequently do.

Well, when the so called "leaders" (and I cannot stress how reservedly I use that word) at the very top of "don't give a toss UK" believe this, then what hope is there for the plebs!

jupe1407 wrote:There's a general (and lazy) theory that most of these situations are caused by "schemies" and "neds" however I rather suspect a lot of these examples of littering are left behind by kids from relatively well-off/very well-off families simply because they are used to having "other people" to deal with stuff for them.

As a secondary school teacher with daily experience of this very demographic, I think I can safely say you may have hit the proverbial nail on the head sir!

I think you'll find that a walk through the poorer and more affluent areas of your local town or city will generally show your suspicions to be incorrect but I assume that this flies in the face of the thinly veiled political point you're both trying to make.
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby Tringa » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:00 pm

Booga wrote:Sadly it seems a lot of people want to have their fun but take no responsibility for their actions. This can be seen in incidents like this, bags of dog mess left everywhere around my village, litter in town centres etc etc.
Part of it might be down to education as I've met first time bothy users who have presumed there's a bin they can leave their rubbish in just like everywhere else, and the concept of needing to "have a campfire" has been ingrained into us from childhood story books to going to music festivals to romantic instagram photos etc etc. I've seen plenty of articles suggesting the outdoors as a great free thing to do with just a small bit about responsible behaviour tacked on the end, and people will only take in the info they want from it.
But I suspect there are a lot of people who just don't care and think they can get away with things like this because there's nobody around to see them do it.
If the whole "Think of others and follow the country code" message doesn't reach some people then maybe we need to also push a message that appeals to these people's egos, how to be a "real outdoorsman", "don't act like a spoilt child who's mum still tidies up after them" etc etc. I particularly liked that sign I saw that said "If we all love Scotland then who's leaving all the litter?".

Pretty much spot on there, Booga.

I also think there are some who are so used to dropping any bit of litter, be it a sweet wrapped or a food tray from the local takeaway, they don't even think about the action.

I do think that education is lacking, though I would hope parents would school their children into not dropping litter, but I wonder how many children et a chance to have some time in the outdoor education, now. Many years ago when I was teaching we took some pupils away every year for a week at residential centre which I think might have helped a better understanding. I don't know how often that, or something similar, happens now.

Dave
Tringa

Postby jupe1407 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:46 pm

Bonzo wrote:
Graeme D wrote:
al78 wrote:Welcome to don't-give-a-toss UK. There is a subset of society that believe anything goes if they can get away with it, and unfortunately they frequently do.

Well, when the so called "leaders" (and I cannot stress how reservedly I use that word) at the very top of "don't give a toss UK" believe this, then what hope is there for the plebs!

jupe1407 wrote:There's a general (and lazy) theory that most of these situations are caused by "schemies" and "neds" however I rather suspect a lot of these examples of littering are left behind by kids from relatively well-off/very well-off families simply because they are used to having "other people" to deal with stuff for them.

As a secondary school teacher with daily experience of this very demographic, I think I can safely say you may have hit the proverbial nail on the head sir!

I think you'll find that a walk through the poorer and more affluent areas of your local town or city will generally show your suspicions to be incorrect but I assume that this flies in the face of the thinly veiled political point you're both trying to make.

What "political point" were we trying to make?
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Booga » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:48 pm

Probably not just kids judging by the variety of litter I've encountered, and I've read a fair few stories about adults who've been caught not tidying up after themselves, both groups of "neds" and "relatively well off" folks including a couple of doctors from the midlands I seem to remember.

The "It's someone's job to clear up after me" attitude seems to occur throughout society, people see litter pickers in the street, cleaners in cinemas etc etc and if they're of a lazy and selfish disposition can use that to justify their behaviour, even if deep down they know it's wrong.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby al78 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:10 pm

Booga wrote:

Probably not just kids judging by the variety of litter I've encountered, and I've read a fair few stories about adults who've been caught not tidying up after themselves, both groups of "neds" and "relatively well off" folks including a couple of doctors from the midlands I seem to remember.

On Friday when driving back from Braemar a passenger in the car in front of me poured some liquid out of the window followed by some rubbish, and it didn't look like a child.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:32 pm

Just as well - it's a serious offence to throw a child out of a car window! :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:16 pm

Along a similar line I came across this pile of dog **** it was about 20m from the car park for Craigowl Hill in Angus. What is wrong with some moronic dog owners, they bag it up and then dump it for someone else to uplift. Unfortunately the idiots ruin it for the majority.

Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby al78 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:06 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Along a similar line I came across this pile of dog **** it was about 20m from the car park for Craigowl Hill in Angus. What is wrong with some moronic dog owners, they bag it up and then dump it for someone else to uplift. Unfortunately the idiots ruin it for the majority.

Externalising costs, out of sight out of mind, as far as they are concerned there are no consequences so why not? The dog poo issue has become enough of a problem in parts of Sussex that signs have been erected to tell owners to be more considerate and take it home.
al78
Walker

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:43 am

I don't think anyone is trying to make a political point, merely pointing out that it's not only one part of society that is inclined to be lazy and ignorant.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:01 pm

al78
Walker

Postby rohan » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:05 pm

gaffr wrote:Hello Jim777...I must have thought that I was heading out for a Munro all those years ago :lol: ...I did bypass the buildings close to the area of the Lochans.
A by the way, when I returned to Loch Moraig there was a vehicle with CandDo lettering on the side...organisers of walks in the hills. Do they still conduct their business.

They are still on the go but years ago I had some friends who walked with them and I also did a navigation course with them and they certainly would not have condoned this type of behaviour. Most walk leaders do include advice on not leaving anything at all behind including what many people think is accpetable e.g apple cores etc. If you brought it with you take it away with you.

When walking along the Watershed, I have come across other people's empties in remote, off-piste spots. One could have caused me a bad injury as had been thrown into a lochan that I had stopped at for a dip. Fortunately I spotted it before I stepped on it Champagne bottles featured elsewhere along the route.
rohan

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion