walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Rocketing Fuel Costs!

Rocketing Fuel Costs!

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:03 pm

Petrol and diesel prices are going through the roof and there's speculation that petrol prices will hit £2 per litre this summer. :shock:

I have cut down my travelling (no more hills south of Perth :D ) but am lucky that there is plenty choice (and top quality) within a hour to a hour and a half drive from where I am, but I am looking to try public transport also, though it's not great in the highlands.

How are the price rises affecting others plans and any great suggestions to combat this increasingly significant obstacle?
Sunset tripper

Re: Rocketing Fuel Costs!

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:13 pm

How are the price rises affecting others plans and any great suggestions to combat this increasingly significant obstacle?

Car share?.

We had the same conversation on Monday, 3 of us from central belt walking in the NW, worked out less than £25 each.

I'd imagine a return from prestwick to achnashellach will be more expensive and won't probably have a train as late as we finished.

Public transport is a bit of a chicken and egg IMHO, needs to be more affordable, but only way for it to get cheaper is if a lot more of us use it!.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:29 pm

I've swapped my thirsty petrol car for a thrifty diesel, that's helped no end as I was getting less than 35mpg, now I'm returning just over 50mpg so that's took the sting out of the cost a bit.

As AyrshireAlps touched on, our trip to Achnashellach at the weekend there was £25 each, so car sharing with friends definitely is definitely the way forward.

Hypermiling helps, for example antipating the road ahead to reduce braking, keeping the revs as low as possible (without labouring the engine) I'll happily do 60mph on dual carriageways and 55mph on single carriageways. Close windows when travelling faster than 40mph. Remove any roof racks, tyres at the correct pressure. Remove unnecessary items in your boot.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Malky100 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:35 pm

60 next year and fit be bus for me with me gear can't wait lol
Malky100
Walker

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Kenny Raeside » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:42 pm

I drive much more economically now, just back from a jaunt round the Arrochar Alps Munros.
It was a 265 mile round trip but eeking out 62mpg makes it bearable.
£35 or so in diesel for two days in the hills in glorious weather … bargain.
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Postby cruachan06 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:00 pm

Even public transport is barely an option with the way the trains are (aren't) running.

I've also noticed the price of gas canisters is rocketing, Halfords is still pretty cheap (got a voucher, not where I'd normally buy from!) but online prices are going crazy.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby davemorrissey » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:02 pm

Turn off air conditioning. In my car it seems to boost efficiency by up to 15%.
davemorrissey

Munros:82   Corbetts:12
Fionas:11   Donalds:37+18
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:24
Islands:19

Postby KatTai » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:36 pm

I've been a lot more conscious about eco-driving, dropping from 70 to 60mph on the dual carriage way boosted my car (diesel) to around 60mpg, also finding it a lot better for my mental health stopping the rushing! Unfortunately short trips to work (no public transport to get there) does make that drop a bit. Looking at camping trips and will be staying closer to where I camp rather than travelling around so much. With dogs public bus transport is pretty much a no, fine for short trips (if they are allowed on!) but not for any distance and trains I find are just extortionate especially if not booked well in advance.

The vast majority of my driving is for leisure rather than commuting to work so I could make significant savings by cutting out hiking but that is what I enjoy so I will probably just take the costs and enjoy my days out!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Gareth Harper » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:37 pm

The price of fuel is indeed shocking.

As for mpg, just bear in mind if you are going by the mpg display that cars tend to have these days – well they lie to you. I suspect that it is the case across all or most car brands.

For example. On a trip last year to South Wales and back last year, the car was telling me it was averaging 54mpg. I was well happy with that (4wd Skoda Yeti diesel). Yet when I did the sums (ie calculated it the old way) it worked out at 46mpg. Still not bad, and to be honest a bit more realistic, but quite some difference.

Filled it up this evening. 96 quid.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby KatTai » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:39 pm

davemorrissey wrote:Turn off air conditioning. In my car it seems to boost efficiency by up to 15%.

It's amazing how much air con drops efficiency! What particularly annoys me is my car will automatically turn it on some settings too so I have to remember to switch it off again.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:53 pm

At the moment it's not affecting my plans. I've spent thousands over the years doing the Munros and Corbetts and moved to Inverness a few years ago to facilitate hillwalking which meant foregoing job opportunities and money I'd have made had I stayed in the Central Belt. I don't have kids either so don't have to worry about providing so it's easy enough to take that stance.

Ultimately I have no intention of becoming a rich corpse and would rather enjoy life. That being said, I imagine I'd have a change of tune if petrol prices doubled again, though we'll probably be dropping nukes on Russia by that point.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby boriselbrus » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:01 pm

As for mpg, just bear in mind if you are going by the mpg display that cars tend to have these days – well they lie to you. I suspect that it is the case across all or most car brands.

This is true, but it's not always the wrong way. My last Mazda claimed 65mpg but was actually around 60mpg. My current Kia claims 61, but is actually 64.

I tend to be more aware these days, not just for cost but for environmental reasons as well. I used to happily go from Perth to Torridon for a weekend, now it would have to be for a few days at least. Weekend trips have to be south of the Great Glen.

I did do a 3 day walk using the train recently. Took the train from Dunkeld to Blair Athol, then walked via the Minigaig and Kingussie to Dalwhinnie before getting the train back to Dunkeld. The train was £22.50 and I had to sit on the floor by the toilets as there were no seats. Not the best advert for public transport.
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Postby Fiona Reid » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:09 pm

For years we've tried to go away for the weekend or at least one night so as to reduce the driving/day trips etc.

We moved from the cental belt to the Highlands in 2021 so now have a lot more on our doorstep. We can wander up a Munro from our house if we choose 😀 and have good climbing a few miles away.

We were using the train and Highland Railcard combo to do trips from the house and had a bunch more trips planned but Scotrail helpfully screwed that plan. Tempted to ask for a refund on the Railcard or an extension.

We'll keep going to the hills etc but might be a bit more picky on weather.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby simon-b » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:01 am

Don't forget the double whammy of the change from standard E5 petrol to E10. For those with cars not compatible with E10, they now have to pay the extra for premium E5, which was meant for expensive performance cars. Now those who can only afford a little old, modest petrol car have to buy the most expensive fuel. And for those who can use E10, it apparently doesn't get you as many MPG. Those of you quoting consumption figures on this thread, have you calculated what difference E10 is making yet?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby al78 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:05 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Petrol and diesel prices are going through the roof and there's speculation that petrol prices will hit £2 per litre this summer. :shock:

I have cut down my travelling (no more hills south of Perth :D ) but am lucky that there is plenty choice (and top quality) within a hour to a hour and a half drive from where I am, but I am looking to try public transport also, though it's not great in the highlands.

I'm sucking it up and am paying more for fuel. I am currently on my way from W Sussex to Braemar which is more than one £70 tank, but is still much cheaper and more practical than getting a train to Aberdeen followed by a 60 mile bike ride. The fuel cost might be rising but it has a way to go before it compares with the price of an equivalent train journey. A return trip by car to visit my family costs around £65, the return rail fare costs around £110 now that advance tickets are extremely hard to come by.

I'm just hoping my long journey to explore the southern and eastern Cairngorms and Grampian mountains isn't completely wasted by a week of clag and no views, like I had in June 2019.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion