walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Getting to Pennan without a car?

Getting to Pennan without a car?

Postby BlueNo4 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:33 am

Hi. In anticipation of my trip to the Moray coast, I watched Local Hero again for the first time since it came out (and thereby betraying my age).

I would love to get to Pennan and see the phone box (which I know wasn't really installed until after the movie had come out) and try not to annoy the locals too much.

I won't have a car, and I understand it's very difficult to reach by public transportation. Any ideas, though? If it would be easy enough to get somewhere within a ten kilometre walk, I'd be happy to walk there and back.

Thanks,

BN4
BlueNo4
Walker

Re: Getting to Pennan without a car?

Postby nigheandonn » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:55 am

It looks like Saturdays only from Banff https://bustimes.org/services/273-banff-gardenstown-or-fraserburgh-2

Otherwise Gardenstown from Banff (same bus), or occasional midweek buses from Fraserburgh to New Aberdour https://bustimes.org/services/74-fraserburgh-rosehearty-and-new-aberdour
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby jmarkb » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:51 pm

The walk to Pennan from Gardenstown is about 7km along the roads, or there is a more adventurous, scenic and longer route around Troup Head - see this walk report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41013
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:02 pm

Oddly enough I watched Local Hero last night, girding my loins for a trip up to the North West highlands. Pennan is tricky to get to, and not much to do once you are there. I arrived a few years back (by private car) to find the inn closed for refurbishment, when I had been looking forward to their legendary dressed crab, which I had enjoyed years before. I note from their website the place is now a B&B with a bar but no restaurant. http://www.thepennaninn.co.uk/
If you want a Local Hero setting with nice coastal walks (see where Old Ben's beach-combing cabin stood at Camusdarrach beach - look out in the movie for the distinctive pine in the background then they are at Ben's cabin - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/map6_32fw.shtml) with easy public transport by bus or train, then head for Arisaig (via Fort William). The hotel/pub has a bunkhouse or there is a campsite, or plenty of B&Bs. Lovely views free of charge. And they do excellent seafood...

Bens Cabin3r.jpg
Ben's Cabin on Camusdarrach beach

Tall pine behind Beachcombers cabin Camusdarrach.jpg
Distinctive pine tree behind Camusdarrach beach where Ben's cabin stood.

Camusdarrach beach#1r.jpg
Camusdarrach Beach view

Rum from Camusdarrach#r.jpg
Isle of Rum from Camusdarrach
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:15 pm

This short clip speaks volumes...

Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby BlueNo4 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:33 pm

Volumes indeed. Love that scene, among many others.

Thanks for the guidance everyone.

Camusdarrach looks like it would take about four hours to reach from Burghead, where I'll be based, but since I like public transportation, I'm not ruling it out. Might depend on the rail strike situation, though.

BN4
BlueNo4
Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:10 am

I was on the Moray Coast today, between Findlater Castle and Cullen which I just realised isn't on the official trail, but shouldn't be missed really if you're on the Moray coast anyway. We saw a pod of dolphins, close up, at least 10 in number.
If you do the entire trail on your visit and keep an eye out to sea, you are almost certain to see dolphins or Whales.

There was 4 of us today, 2 on 2 legs, 2 on 4 legs and 1 badly broken arm, but good to be out!

20220611_123452.jpg

All the best with your trip. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby rohan » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:28 pm

I would echo what Sunset Tripper says. I have been gradually walking the East Coast, mainly in winter to keep up my fitness at carrying an full pack and would recommend all of it. I have just reached the Moray Coastal Path ( from the east) but the whole coast is really interestting. I walked the Macduff to Fraserburgh section in January over 2 days (I started walking midday and finished at midday 2 days later) and had my lunch at Pennan watching the waves break over the breakwater. The section from Troup Head to Pennan did involve a bit of a long road detour as there didn't seem to be an obvious coastal route but I would recommend you coming back and doing the coast east from Cullen. Maybe I should do a TR. I have now ( at various times) walked the east coast from the Forth Road Bridge to Portgordon in day trips as well as longer spells. I am not precious about doing it all in one direction as it can depend on bus times back to Aberdeen and my last bus home.
Re whales and other wildlife, there have been recent sightings of orca and humpback in the Moray Firth. There is a seal colony on Craigroan.
rohan

Postby BlueNo4 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:15 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

Right now, it looks like I might be able to get a little beyond Cullen on this trip, but that will be the extent of it. Except when I take the bus from Elgin to Aberdeen, I'll look and see if I can break it up into a couple of legs with a detour into Pennan with the help of a spur line and a taxi or something.

BN4
BlueNo4
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion