walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Unexpected path on my Cairngorm walk today

Unexpected path on my Cairngorm walk today

Postby al78 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:02 pm

Today I decided to do one of my planned walks in the Cairngorms based on the MWIS forecast, which unfortunately turned out to be way out, even though it was issued yesterday. The route was Carn a Mhaim, Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm. Heading south from the latter, I noticed a well made path heading to Carn Crom, but there is no path marked on my OS map, although it was revised in 2011. This path skirted round Carn Crom and took a heading straight to Derry Lodge, taking a partially stepped route around the Creag Bad an t-Seabhaig crags. This made the last section of my walk faster than expected. I recall one route map showing a diversion SW to Gleann Laoigh Bheag before turning back east to Derry Lodge. Does anyone know when this path was constructed, and why? It is a bit odd looking at a Lake District-like primary route path* whilst being surrounded by a panorama of mountains and glens, with not a trace of humanity in sight.

*Like the last similar looking Lake District path I used, the descent began to upset my knees.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: Unexpected path on my Cairngorm walk today

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:59 pm

The path isn't marked on my paper map either (any excuse to get my map out for a look :D )........... but a path is shown on the digital map on walkhighlands 1.25k and 1.50k
Screenshot_20220613-205035_Chrome.jpg
Sunset tripper

Postby prog99 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:34 pm

I think its quite old. I can see it on photos I took on my 1st visit in 2007 and looked well worn then. Its probably formed from walkers then had some repairs(I assume its had some rework?)
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Scraggygoat » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:53 pm

IIRC it’s been there at least twenty years and was always quite good. It’s had work done on it in the past five years. Can’t remember when the steps were put in.

Note the OS selectively revise, they do not resurvey. Selective revision commonly means just adding information they have been informed of, often via planning.
Scraggygoat

Postby ChrisButch » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:57 am

This is unsurprising. There has never been a reliable relationship between paths visible on the ground and paths indicated on an OS map.
ChrisButch

Postby Girl Outdoors » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:23 am

ChrisButch wrote:This is unsurprising. There has never been a reliable relationship between paths visible on the ground and paths indicated on an OS map.

This is all part of the fun exploring and finding them! And the reason why I always carry a fine tipped pen in my rucksack to annotate my OS map later.
Girl Outdoors
Wanderer

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:25 am

The path has been there for over twenty years as already mentioned, though i suppose it has been upgraded since then as it has become a more popular route.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby AyrshireAlps » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:35 am

This is unsurprising. There has never been a reliable relationship between paths visible on the ground and paths indicated on an OS map.

Absolutely, the dashed line and reality in Scotland are often 2 different things. Usually a struggle for those from south of the border as the landscape is so set in stone. The right to roam means paths appear and disappear regularly, and sometimes when they stay for a while, they get work done on them to stop them becoming a big wide mess. Sometimes. :D
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby MRG1 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:11 am

That's why I always ensure that I also have access to a few maps based on the Openstreetmap data.
They're not perfect but they have many more of the paths not shown on the OS maps
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:24   

Postby prog99 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:22 am

prog99
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:33 pm

The coverage here https://www.ramblers.org.uk/mappingscotlandspaths is quite good these days - a pity the underlying mapping is not that great.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Girl Outdoors » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:54 pm

a pity the underlying mapping is not that great

Thats because the background map is Open Street Map. I find OSM to only be useful to research a specific area to get some clues as to what other paths might possibly exist? Whether they really exist on the ground or accessible is another matter. OSM also omits many rights of way. Coupled with the lack of surface features or contour lines makes OSM of limited use IMO
Girl Outdoors
Wanderer

Postby prog99 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:07 pm

Unsurprisingly mapping streets will be of limited use on the hill. However as always there’s an alternative https://opentopomap.org/#map=14/57.03450/-3.60824
prog99
Munro compleatist

Postby MRG1 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:37 pm

prog99 wrote:Unsurprisingly mapping streets will be of limited use on the hill. However as always there’s an alternative https://opentopomap.org/#map=14/57.03450/-3.60824

Ironically they actually rely on Openstreetmap for their data, in my understanding.
I would say the opentopo maps are my go-to to but with two caveats.
As Girloutdoor says, they have their limitations, I tend to find most of the established routes are well accounted for though.
Also they're sometimes difficult to see on a screen in bright sunshine. Thankfully I walk in Scotland so that isn't always a concern :lol:
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:24   

Postby Scottk » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:39 pm

It’s a good path and at one point there is a high path and a lower one. In winter conditions or if there is still snow, it is best to take the high path as the lower is treacherous. It is surprising how long the path is to get back to Derry Lodge from Derry Cairngorm.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion