walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Unexpected path on my Cairngorm walk today

Re: Unexpected path on my Cairngorm walk today

Postby gorillagorilla » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:46 am

Looking at the aerial photography data on google maps, ordnance survey or elsewhere often helps with understanding what paths may or may not be there.
gorillagorilla
Mountain Walker

Munros:74   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:7

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:33 am

This is great for looking to see if paths exist, but generally needs to be used before lunch, as the site runs out of data later in the day, I've used it for years. :D

https://wtp2recorder.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby adamwatson500 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:14 am

A (relatively) new tool we've been using when planning days out in the hills is the "heatmaps" produced by Strava. This might be a subscriber only feature these days, but the global running heatmap gives a pretty astonishingly accurate picture of the path network, both constructed and informal/stalkers, as the data is entirely driven by people walking or running the route.

It also clearly shows where there isn't a path - as the heatmap turns to a myriad of slightly different tracks taken individually to e.g. traverse across a boggy bealach or open hillside.
adamwatson500

Munros:78   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:89   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:08 pm

Aye, heatmaps is a very good utility, even just to see if someone, anyone, has walked where you're looking! :D
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby prog99 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:34 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:Aye, heatmaps is a very good utility, even just to see if someone, anyone, has walked where you're looking! :D

Of course they could all be searching out that non existent path that the map says is there.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion