walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Parking Near Kenknock

Parking Near Kenknock

Postby NickyRannoch » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:18 pm

I know you aren't meant to park at the end of the public road in Glen Lochay anymore but is there any reason you couldn't park up beside the hydro dam on the Innisraineach Burn? From Glen Lyon it looks like a public road all the way there and enough room to park responsibly at either the end of the public road or by the dam gates themselves.

Also is it possible to drive the private road between the two public roads or are there locked gates etc and would you have to approach from the north? I would of course contact the landowner for permission before driving on any private road.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Re: Parking Near Kenknock

Postby denfinella » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:59 pm

Although the road over from Glen Lyon is marked as a public road until the dam on 1:25000 maps, it's marked as private on the current 1:50000 ones. Sorry, I know that doesn't really clarify things!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby NickyRannoch » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:49 am

Hmmm

Not showing as a public road on PKC website but it is on Google maps and the Google car went down it.

In 2022 I think Google might have more clout than the council.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Postby prog99 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:59 am

NickyRannoch wrote:Hmmm

Not showing as a public road on PKC website but it is on Google maps and the Google car went down it.

Must have come in from the north as theres definitely a locked gate just above Kenknock. It was also 2010 that it drove along the road which was a bit of a rollercoaster when I last drove along it in 2006(no gate then)
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby malky_c » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:01 am

prog99 wrote:
NickyRannoch wrote:Hmmm

Must have come in from the north as theres definitely a locked gate just above Kenknock. It was also 2010 that it drove along the road which was a bit of a rollercoaster when I last drove along it in 2006(no gate then)

It might be locked intermittently. I drove over from one glen to the other in 2013; there was a new and rather imposing looking gate above Kenknock then but it wasn’t locked. I took my chances and went through anyway - the road surface going up the hill was dreadful!

I suspect with things getting busier over the last couple of years there is maybe less chance of it being unlocked now. Sorry that doesn’t help with the parking situation.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:17 am

We continued further up the track a few years ago to do Creag Mhor & Beinn Heasgarnich, gave us a nice head start in winter, however the track is awful to be honest.

More recently I seen an SSE van come over the pass when I was doing the Corbett Meall nan Subh, track is rough on that side too. I wouldn't drive across unless I had a 4x4.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby NickyRannoch » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:46 am

So after further research it seems its a public adopted road as far as Lubreoch from the north.

I'll probably just park in the suggested car park as its long way from Lubreoch to Kenknock if its not passable in a Ford Fiesta.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:04 pm

As an update I was up Lubreoch yesterday and took a peek.
Looks like the Russians have been having a go at the road.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Postby Inglsman » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:44 pm

I rode (a motorbike) thru from Kenknock to Loch Lyon today. On leaving Killin there is a no through road sign, bur it is a public road right through, just with two gates. The gates are not locked, they have a sign threatening to lock them someday if anyone leaves one open, which suggests they haven't yet started locking.

As stated about the road is not for the fainthearted. Awesome views on such a summer's day. I'd post pictures, but can't work out your system. (But I did register just to post this reply. )
Inglsman
Wanderer

Postby Senja » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:04 pm

I have seen them locked in the past. I managed to use the road a few times when it was in good nick, but would steer well clear based on my last visit - unless suitably equipped.
Senja

Munros:132   Corbetts:27
Fionas:189   Donalds:58
Sub 2000:479   Hewitts:298
Wainwrights:97   Islands:64

Postby denfinella » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:23 pm

Inglsman wrote:On leaving Killin there is a no through road sign, bur it is a public road right through, just with two gates. The gates are not locked, they have a sign threatening to lock them someday if anyone leaves one open, which suggests they haven't yet started locking.

How do you know that it is a public road though? Just because the gates are unlocked doesn't necessarily mean you're allowed to drive through them. In fact, the "no through road" sign would suggest the opposite.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion