walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Moray Trail - public transit between Lossiemouth and Buckie?

Moray Trail - public transit between Lossiemouth and Buckie?

Postby BlueNo4 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:25 pm

I'm having a wonderful time walking the Moray Coastal Trail, and appreciate all the more the recommendations some of you have made (including taking it in the first place). Will be sure to pay it forward by providing a report once I'm back home.

I've got a question about the Lossiemouth to Buckie leg for any who care to indulge me.

Today, I walked Burghead to Lossiemouth. Loved it. It also took me MUCH longer than the 4.5 hours noted on this site. I'm sure that's a normal or normal-than-longer time for many of you, but I'm a slow walker who's prone to taking detours, periodic sit-downs to stop and take in my surroundings; and falling into conversation with just about any local who wants to talk to me :)

In case I start to run short on time on my way to Buckie, I had been thinking of stopping at Spey Bay, but there don't seem to be any buses to or from there at the moment. Do any of you know if there are taxis from SB, or might there perhaps be some other place between Lossiemouth and Buckie I might find a bus or taxi?

Otherwise, I guess I'll just need to speed up my ways.

Thanks,

BN4
BlueNo4
Walker

Re: Moray Trail - public transit between Lossiemouth and Buc

Postby BlueNo4 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:11 am

Meant “longer-than-normal” in my message above rather than “normal-than-longer,” of course. That was walker’s fatigue, I think :)
BlueNo4
Walker

Postby prog99 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:23 pm

Garmouth is on the bus route and is just before spey bay, where do you need to get to?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:47 pm

Garmouth to Elgin then Elgin to wherever you're based should work. Might take a while and end up costing as much as a taxi so maybe worth checking what a taxi will run you in advance.

Good to hear you enjoyed Burghead to Lossiemouth. One of my favourite walks!

:thumbup:
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby BlueNo4 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:23 pm

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

As it turned out, I kept going until Portgordon and then, courtesy of the https://bustimes.org/ site that had been shared with me here, I was able to find a bus back to Elgin before taking a taxi to Burghead (but not before finding a great fish and chips place (is it okay to give names, or is that out of bounds?)).

Could have continued all the way to Buckie, but I would have been going through the motions.

And yes, iain_atkinson_1986 I particularly enjoyed the Burghead>Lossiemouth stretch just east of Hopeman.

BN4
BlueNo4
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion