walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

The saddle

The saddle

Postby weesmudge » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:16 pm

Evening all you knowledgeable folk.
I'm looking to leave the campsite at glensheil heading south up Sgùrr na creige to then follow it around on to the saddle is it a decent walk up this section I'm going to be loaded up with a large pack as I'm intending to continue along the ridge to Cluanie camping along the way.
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Munros:134   Corbetts:4

Re: The saddle

Postby prog99 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:21 pm

Can't help exactly but I've descended to the campsite after the saddle and the tops via the 690m spot height(or thereabouts)

btw, if your ticking munros the summit isn't the trig point but a little bump to the east.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:24 am

You might find this TR from malky_c useful: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=66206 - looks like a bnice way up! Going over Biod an Fhithich to join the normal route up the Saddle is another option.

If you are continuing along the South Shiel ridge, it is worth noting that there is a potentially tricky bit of route finding to get off Sgurr na Sgine, as a direct descent towards the Bealach an Toiteil is not feasible. You need to head SW for 250-300m, drop down to a section of old wall, and follow this back towards the col.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:45 am

I haven't done that route but Sgùrr na Creige looks like it could be a bit sketchy. :?

I'd avoid doing Biod an Fhithich as two of my friends did it and it was overgrown and time consuming just to get up to the ridge, which is then undulating.

I'd probably stick to the path that hand rails the Allt a' Choire Chaoil.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:56 pm

It was 30 years ago, but we once pretty much ran all the way down from the pt 814 bealach north of Sgurr Leach nan Each, east down into Coire Uaine and then back to the campsite along the glen. Though we were young and fit, it must have been pretty straightforward for me to have done it, even then!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion