walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Assynt/NW - hillwalk options for little ‘uns

Assynt/NW - hillwalk options for little ‘uns

Postby JWCW2014 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:34 am

We’re away up to Assynt for a week with the kids. Whilst my son (8) and I have plans to do Suilven (he’s a keen bagger now and tackled some longer days but chose this after being impressed by a video on YouTube kids.)

My daughter who is 5 is keen to climb a mountain rather than a hill (her brother has been winding her up about only having completed hills!) - she’s managed quite a few walks of around 5-6 miles with up to around 2500 feet of ascent. She’s also fine over boggy ground or pathless sections (and oddly prefers the former).

Does anyone have a good recommendation for the above? I’ve had a look at a few of the hills up there but not having climbed them before unsure about how challenging the terrain would be in each case and don’t want to suffer from ‘looks fine on the map’ and then march them up to march them back down again after abandoning!
JWCW2014
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1+0
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:11

Re: Assynt/NW - hillwalk options for little ‘uns

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:44 am

JWCW2014 wrote:We’re away up to Assynt for a week with the kids. Whilst my son (8) and I have plans to do Suilven (he’s a keen bagger now and tackled some longer days but chose this after being impressed by a video on YouTube kids.)

My daughter who is 5 is keen to climb a mountain rather than a hill (her brother has been winding her up about only having completed hills!) - she’s managed quite a few walks of around 5-6 miles with up to around 2500 feet of ascent. She’s also fine over boggy ground or pathless sections (and oddly prefers the former).

Does anyone have a good recommendation for the above? I’ve had a look at a few of the hills up there but not having climbed them before unsure about how challenging the terrain would be in each case and don’t want to suffer from ‘looks fine on the map’ and then march them up to march them back down again after abandoning!

As long as she'd be satisfied with reaching the ridge rather than the (scrambling) true summit, Stac Pollaidh is a proper adventure for kids. I first did it aged 6, my brother was 4. The main track that goes round the back is steep with rocky steps at times, but its a good track. The eastern top is probably achievable, a simple short scramble from the col.

Track

Summit view with eastern summit on right.

I know an under 4 year old who's been to the bealach on Suilven, but we did get to the bottom by canoe! The long walk in is more of a problem than the hill.

Ben, on left, 3 years and 364 days old.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby mmill » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:06 am

I would say that the first summit of Quinag - Spidean Coinich, would fit your spec. It is abstraight forward steady ascent. You can do up and back the same way. Fantastic views and the option to extend if you feel they could manage more.

For a lower level walk the bones caves is a great family one.
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby jmarkb » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:46 pm

Stac Pollaidh is a a great option if the lack of a true summit is not a problem. Spidean Coinich is also a great choice: there isn’t a clear path all the way but the going is easy across low angled slabs and stones, and it benefits from a high start point.
Other possible options would be Cul Beag from the west (shorter and drier but steeper than the WH route) or Sgurr an Fhidhleir from Conacraig https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/sgurr-an-fhidhleir.shtml - a spectacular summit but the ascent is perhaps a bit lacking in interest.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby JWCW2014 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:39 pm

Thanks all really helpful responses - some of suggestions above we’re on the possible list and helpful information provided on the route itself, thank you this is really useful.

Great photos above too - and agree that the walk in (rather than canoe/kayak) to Suilven would be a problem. Ascent seems to be the great leveller for little legs but flatter sections are often the struggle.
JWCW2014
Walker

Postby KatTai » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:27 pm

jmarkb wrote:Sgurr an Fhidhleir from Conacraig https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/sgurr-an-fhidhleir.shtml - a spectacular summit but the ascent is perhaps a bit lacking in interest.

Just added this one to my wishlist! Sounds like a good one to do with the dogs :D
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby walkingpoles » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:05 am

I wanted to propose cocoa mountain in Durness. But they seem to have closed due to shortage of staff. :(

Not a hill, but Sandwood Bay may be a winner.

Enjoy the trip!
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby jmarkb » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:10 am

KatTai wrote:
jmarkb wrote:Just added this one to my wishlist! Sounds like a good one to do with the dogs :D

You can extend this a little into a nice circuit over the two tops of Beinn nan Caorach.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby al78 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:53 pm

How difficult is it to get to the true summit of Stac Pollaidh if you are not a rock climber?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby ChrisButch » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:20 pm

al78 wrote:How difficult is it to get to the true summit of Stac Pollaidh if you are not a rock climber?

The difficulty is more in the coming down, especially if you've got dodgy knees. Nasty 1m+ step down at the bottom.
ChrisButch

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:53 pm

al78 wrote:How difficult is it to get to the true summit of Stac Pollaidh if you are not a rock climber?

Its a short awkward scramble but with a long drop below it. I'd say you need previous scrambling experience and ability to confidently do it, knowing you then have to reverse the move to come down. Its not, though a hard or sustained scramble, just a bit awkward and exposed.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby cantabrigian » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:24 pm

Try the (fairly easy) walk from Inchnadamph to the Traligill caves, which includes the exciting roaring cave (Uamh an Tartair).
cantabrigian
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby JWCW2014 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:48 am

cantabrigian wrote:Try the (fairly easy) walk from Inchnadamph to the Traligill caves, which includes the exciting roaring cave (Uamh an Tartair).

Thanks - we’d looked at that, both kids very interested in doing that one.

Thanks for all the replies above, this forum really is an excellent resource with such helpful members.
JWCW2014
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion