walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn liath Mor from Torridon

Beinn liath Mor from Torridon

Postby Orosay » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:53 am

Would anyone recommend BLM from the Ling hut path rather than Achnashellach?
Orosay
Mountain Walker

Munros:39   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:19

Re: Beinn liath Mor from Torridon

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:34 am

If you haven't done Beinn Liath Mhor before then I'd do it from the south. Its ridge is probably its best feature and you'd miss out on this from the north approach. You can also link Beinn Liath Mhor to Sgorr Ruadh and Fuar Tholl from which I'd definitely recommend.

The path to the northern approach is rougher and boggier too but will allow you to change things up a bit and link Beinn Liath Mhor to Sgorr nan Lochain Uaine.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:35 am

Not rather than Achnashellach but it's a fine linear route through to Achnashellach.
If doing a out and back from the Torridon side you might be tempted to miss out the ridge which would be a shame.

All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:08 pm

Looks fine on the map, but as some have already mentioned you'd miss the ridge walk.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby al78 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:19 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:If you haven't done Beinn Liath Mhor before then I'd do it from the south. Its ridge is probably its best feature and you'd miss out on this from the north approach. You can also link Beinn Liath Mhor to Sgorr Ruadh and Fuar Tholl from which I'd definitely recommend.

The path to the northern approach is rougher and boggier too but will allow you to change things up a bit and link Beinn Liath Mhor to Sgorr nan Lochain Uaine.

If you are a very strong walker, you might be able to tag on Maol Chean-dearg although it is a big detour and looks like a very scrambly ascent from the NE.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby jmarkb » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:37 pm

It’s a reasonable alternative to the Coire Lair approach. Although you miss out on the full ridge, there is less eroded scree: the going from the end of the path to the summit is straightforward. A link with Sgurr nan Lochan Uaine makes a nice circuit: there is a mostly grassy descent north from the first col E of the summit of BLM.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:31 pm

You could link the 2 Munros easily enough which means you don't miss out the ridge, bit of a longer day. Am planning on doing that in a few weeks time.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Orosay » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:09 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Not rather than Achnashellach but it's a fine linear route through to Achnashellach.
If doing a out and back from the Torridon side you might be tempted to miss out the ridge which would be a shame.

All the best :D

It was actually sgurr an lochan uainie I had been looking at when I saw reference to a path to BLM which got me curious. Achnashellach path in is fabulous so just curious really, thanks
Orosay
Mountain Walker

Munros:39   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:19

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion