walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Spittal of Glen she to Breamar

Spittal of Glen she to Breamar

Postby Paulbrewer421 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:02 pm

Hi guys and gals,
I’m camped at spittal this weekend and am already planing my next trip which will be a big one I’m doing a three day wild camp this weekend, the next trip next week I want to start at spittal and hike to Breamar split the walk in two I can do it in one but I’m going to be wild camping for 6/7 days and want to conserve energy. My question is does anyone know of a route I can take apart from walking on the road?
Any help would be much appreciated or is it going to be a case of off roading it?
Paulbrewer421
Mountain Walker

Re: Spittal of Glen she to Breamar

Postby malky_c » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:30 pm

The obvious route would be up Gleann Taitneach to Loch nan Eun, then onto An Socach and follow the long undulating ridge to Morrone. There is then a path to drop you right into Braemar. I think between Loch nan Eun and An Socach would be pathless (probably) and some of the ridge between Sgorr Mor and Morrone as well (although this bit should be mostly easy going). You could always drop down Glen Ey to Inverey if you would prefer to stay off the summits, and follow various forestry tracks and minor roads from there to Braemar.

Another high route would be to the east, following the Cateran Trail briefly then a stalker's path/quad bike track towards Creag Leacach. Then Glas Maol, Cairn of Claise, Carn an Tuirc and drop down the path to Loch Callater. Easy vehicle track down Glen Callater then follow the main road for the last couple of miles into Braemar. Easy walking up on the plateau assuming half-decent weather.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:04 am

Interesting question - couldn't resist trying to map some options :roll: :crazy: including malky's to see what sort of difference there would be.
As malky notes, there are options - most involve some pathless sections and some height gain so depends on how much you're wiling to accept.

Going by road A93 suggests 25km and 400m ascent so that's probably the most efficient.

A93.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Going up the east comes in at about 29km but the ascent is 940m

East.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Combining west and east is longer at 33km but reduces the ascent to 790m

West&East.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Going up the west and over Morrone decreases distance to 30km but ascent back up to 880m

West-Morrone.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Staying in the west but going to Inverey increases distance to 32km but ascent drops to 670m

West-Inverey.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Please note that all are approx and are off the map so actual ground conditions may vary. From my own limited experience of the area, I found off path walking fairly straightforward but the conditions were quite dry at the time.
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:13 pm

None of rockhopper's maps take in the long northward ridge off Carn Aosda, which is a very pleasant route if you can incorporate it somehow,.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion