walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Camping at Schiehallion

Camping at Schiehallion

Postby David1988 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:15 am

I am planning to go up Schiehallion for sunrise in a couple of weeks and would like to get a head start on the walk. Is there anywhere suitable for camping halfway up etc? I just don't want to camp down by the road, I always like camping up in the hills.
David1988
Mountain Walker

Re: Camping at Schiehallion

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:42 pm

The hill gets very rocky the higher you get, i.e. big piles of big rocks. But if you go around the back of the hill as it were, away from the car park, tourist route and busy path, you come to a nice wee dell with a burn running through it, with green turf and old ruins of sheilings. This would be a good place to camp, out of the way of hordes on the path, and if the weather turns nasty there is a bothy across the glen, up the facing hill a bit. From this dell you can hike up the path of the burn, and turn up the hill to come to the summit from the west (ish).

Web capture_6-7-2022_12324_www.walkhighlands.co.uk.jpeg
Bottom of this picture shows a burn with old shelings, maybe a better place to camp.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby malolis » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:18 pm

Going up recently another walker mentioned to me that there are a couple of spots you can pitch just before the main boulder field starts. Not sure how easy they are to find though, as it is pretty rocky up there generally.

Word of warning - not sure that overnight parking at the main Braes of Foss car park is an option now. My ticket expired at midnight.
malolis
Walker

Munros:63   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Islands:2

Postby David1988 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:01 am

Caberfeidh wrote:The hill gets very rocky the higher you get, i.e. big piles of big rocks. But if you go around the back of the hill as it were, away from the car park, tourist route and busy path, you come to a nice wee dell with a burn running through it, with green turf and old ruins of sheilings. This would be a good place to camp, out of the way of hordes on the path, and if the weather turns nasty there is a bothy across the glen, up the facing hill a bit. From this dell you can hike up the path of the burn, and turn up the hill to come to the summit from the west (ish).

Thanks for the information, looks a good option. I like the idea of the bothy also.
David1988
Mountain Walker

Postby David1988 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:03 am

malolis wrote:Going up recently another walker mentioned to me that there are a couple of spots you can pitch just before the main boulder field starts. Not sure how easy they are to find though, as it is pretty rocky up there generally.

Word of warning - not sure that overnight parking at the main Braes of Foss car park is an option now. My ticket expired at midnight.

I don't think I fancy scouring about a boulder field for a comfy spot!
I should be ok for parking as we're going to be up there for sunrise so I should be back at the car by 8/9 potentially so it just depends when they start checking tickets. Probably just have to take my chances.
David1988
Mountain Walker

Postby Booga » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:08 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:The hill gets very rocky the higher you get, i.e. big piles of big rocks. But if you go around the back of the hill as it were, away from the car park, tourist route and busy path, you come to a nice wee dell with a burn running through it, with green turf and old ruins of sheilings. This would be a good place to camp, out of the way of hordes on the path, and if the weather turns nasty there is a bothy across the glen, up the facing hill a bit. From this dell you can hike up the path of the burn, and turn up the hill to come to the summit from the west (ish).

Looks like a nice spot on this geograph photo.
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3195317
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:33 pm

Booga wrote: Looks like a nice spot on this geograph photo.
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3195317

I was there a few years ago and it was exactly like that. Very nice and peaceful away from the hordes on the path.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Senja » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:49 pm

Be aware of lekking blackcock. We once found a great site near Schiehallion only to have to stay level on the ground later on to avoid disturbing the grouse that had turned up. In the end they were disturbed by a hen harrier. Off my camping spot list now.
Senja

Munros:132   Corbetts:27
Fionas:189   Donalds:58
Sub 2000:479   Hewitts:298
Wainwrights:97   Islands:64

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion