walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Access to Beinn Sgrithall from Northeast

Access to Beinn Sgrithall from Northeast

Postby Verylatestarter » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:28 pm

Does anyone know if the bridge over the Abhainn a Ghlinne Bhig close to the Strath a Chomair woods (at NG866158) has been repaired yet?

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

Re: Access to Beinn Sgrithall from Northeast

Postby prog99 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:34 pm

I know someone who was there last month and it was still declared unsafe to cross.

Another alternative start is from NG 77988 13563
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:02 am

On the same hill, has anyone who has climbed it got any thoughts / comparison of the recommended WH way up and way down - that is, from the Loch Hourn side?

To me, it looks more pleasant (assuming good weather) to climb it by the Coille Mhialairigh woodland and the west ridge, walk along from the summit to the 906m top for the additional views, and then go back down the same way.

This appears to avoid the unappealing screes of the recommended WH ascent, but still shows 95% of the views.

Would be glad of anyone's opinion on that - thanks!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:14 am

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:On the same hill, has anyone who has climbed it got any thoughts / comparison of the recommended WH way up and way down - that is, from the Loch Hourn side?

To me, it looks more pleasant (assuming good weather) to climb it by the Coille Mhialairigh woodland and the west ridge, walk along from the summit to the 906m top for the additional views, and then go back down the same way.

This appears to avoid the unappealing screes of the recommended WH ascent, but still shows 95% of the views.

Tim

The Coille Mhiarlairigh route is a boggy, overgrown mess. I've descended that way twice and wondered both times why that's the route people seem to take.

If I were doing Beinn Sgrithreall again I'd do Beinn nan Caorach and Beinn na h-Eaglaise first then use the WH ascent route as my descent route. That or work out a route from the north or west.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby prog99 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:46 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:On the same hill, has anyone who has climbed it got any thoughts / comparison of the recommended WH way up and way down - that is, from the Loch Hourn side?

Tim

The way I suggested skips the woodland by using the landcover track then a bit boggy past Loch an Lochain then good up the west ridge. Makes for a nice linkup with Beinn a' Chapuill
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:58 pm

Tim

I've only done the WH route or fairly close to it, which is pretty much the SMC route that came before it. The ascent direct from Arnisdale is fine and the scree is fairly short lived and mostly avoidable. I remember the whole ascent being steep but no issues. The views are sublime throughout doing the standard circuit. I quite enjoy the descent through the woods also, giving a bit of variation.

I wouldn't consider going up there if the weather wasn't guaranteed - the vistas are that good.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:55 am

Thanks very much Sunset tripper, prog99 and iain_atkinson_1986 - much appreciated!

That is all good food for thought. We are a few friends staying in Kintail for a week next April, and we plan to do Sgritheall on the best weather day that we get because of its views.

In an ideal world, neither scree nor scrambling among trees would be my group's preference, but I think we might need to put up with a bit of both. If we are lucky with the weather, the views will be well worth it.

Approaches from other directions look really interesting, it seems like a great hill from every direction. I also like the look of Coire Min and its lochan. But I think those options are for me to do on a solo walk sometime.

Much appreciated

Tim
(Appetite-whetting view that our group had of Sgritheall from Sgurr a'Mhaoraich, back in 2016)
25685927100_80429d1387_b.jpg
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Verylatestarter » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:33 am

Thanks all,

I was keen on the NE approach as it gave the option of including the two Corbetts and thought Corie Min might be the best descent if I did the Munro first. It goes without sayin that hill deserves a good day (fingers crossed).

I'm not sure if the river is fordable further East.

regards

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion