walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Lomond in late September

Ben Lomond in late September

Postby BG213 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:31 am

Hello all. New to this forum. I have a question about Ben Lomond. I will be visiting various areas around Scotland in September and have an idea of hiking up Ben Lomond toward the end of the month when my trip takes me to the Glasgow area. Specifically I thought I'd book a room in the Rowardennan Hotel to make the climb and return in the course of one day. I am experienced with hiking in my area, which involves mountains of up to a few hundred meters ascent and just day tripping, not camping, so the ~1000m and 12km path of Ben Lomond doesn't seem outrageous to do in a day. Judging from the profile picture of the mountain it doesn't even seem as steep as some I have climbed. So my questions for the forum is:

1. How difficult a climb is it for a moderate climber like me? I am not inexperienced, but I am hardly a veteran mountain climber. From the description on the website it doesn't seem that tough, just long (for my experience, though I have done several multi-hundred-meter climbs in a day).

2. Is late September an especially good or bad time to go?

3. How likely will I get a chance to see the spectacular views that are promised from the top? What weather conditions should I look or hope for? Should I book the Rowardennan Hotel a few days waiting the right day or just book two nights (to bookend my hiking day) and just try my best on the day?

4. Besides good shoes, some weather protective clothing, a camera, water and maybe a snack, I never carry any special equipment on my hikes. Do you recommend anything for Ben Lomond?

5. I am thinking of returning the way I ascend and not take Ptarmigan ridge return route. I am used to some rock scrambles and such though. Advice?

6. General advice?
BG213
Wanderer

Re: Ben Lomond in late September

Postby MRG1 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:12 pm

1. It really depends on what "moderate climber" means to you. There is absolutely nothing technical on the mountain, perhaps a few sections where putting a hand down for balance or putting feet onto rock. Rest assured though that it's not much more than a walk.
If you are reasonably fit then it's fine.

2. I've never done it in September but it's likely as good a time as any. You might even get lucky and not meet the local midge population. That (in my understanding) is at the back end of their peak season. You shouldn't experience any snow unless there is freak weather. Be prepared for a wee bit of ice though if the weather turns a bit brisk.

3. How long is a piece of string? :lol:
With regards to what weather you should look out for I guess I'd say the conditions that you are comfortable walking in at home with one caveat: this sounds higher than your normal altitude so bear in mind that low cloud means the summit (and possibly much more) will be covered by it.
I'm quite hesitant to say whether you should book a few days at the hotel. Sorry I'm not much help there.
Personally if it was me I'd probably keep an eye on various weather platforms, if they mostly agree then go for it.
I am possibly guilty of a bit of OCD when it comes to checking the weather but as I said if they all (or mostly) agree on good weather ...
I use (ready for it)
The MET office app, you can choose to view a summit forecast for Ben Lomond there as well as Rowardennan.
The MET office mountain weather forecast on the internet, you can choose an area (Southwest Highlands for Ben Lomond).
The MWIS app or website.
And (honestly it's good) the Norwegian MET office I think it's YR.NO
The windy.com app
Finally mountain-forecast.com
I DID warn you about that OCD :lol:

Another thing I would say is if weather conditions are good you can get an absolutely stunning view by not returning via the normal path, return via the Ptarmigan ridge for a great look along the loch. It's a bit rockier at the start but nothing technical. There is a relatively good path all the way. Worth looking into.

4. I could write a book here, uhm what to say... I carry too much but nothing is too much if you might use it one day :D
Make sure your weather proof clothing is good, trousers as well. Make sure you have warm clothing including hat and gloves.
Don't just take snacks, take food and a hot drink.
Personally I would carry over 1000 calories of food a hot flask and at least 1.5 litres of water.
I really am hesitant to go into all the stuff I carry because I don't want you spend money and likely (hopefully) never needing it.
However if you really want a list I'll provide one, be warned though :D

5. Oops I've already mentioned that but to reiterate yes it's worth it IF you have a view on the day.
If I remember correctly the most "scrambly" bit is the first drop off the summit towards the Ptarmigan ridge but once you're down that first bit it's really not much than a few "steppy" bits in places with a pretty good path.
Bear in mind that that "scrambly" bit only requires hands for balance, it's easy and safe.
If you get good weather then that ridge WILL vastly improve your experience on the mountain, I guarantee it.

6. I can't really think of anything else just now, if I think of anything I'll let you know, don't hesitate to ask if you can think of anything else.
Once others see your post I'm sure you'll get plenty of other responses which includes stuff I'll have missed.

Enjoy.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:24   

Postby davekeiller » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:40 pm

More or less as above.

How difficult Ben Lomond is depends on what you're comparing it to. It's not in any way a technical climb, and the average adult should probably be able to do it in around 5-6 hours. Personally, I'd do the ptarmigan and make it a more interesting walk.
September is usually quite a reasonable time for walking in Scotland, although nothing is ever guaranteed. Personally, I'd just pick a day and go with it, as you can spend the whole week waiting for perfect conditions. The disadvantage of Rowardennan is that it's at the end of the road, and not really on the way anywhere, so it's quite a drive if you want to want to go somewhere else.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:33 pm

It is not difficult as far as scottish hills go. You can find jakeys from Glasgow up there frying sausages and drinking cans of tennents on the summer solstice and even on new years day. On the other hand people have died there too.
For me, if the weather is really poor it's not worth the bother, otherwise you shouldn't have any issues. Not much point going up in poor weather but if it's good the views are fantastic.

All the best. :D

Ben Lomond 19th April 2013
2013-04-19 12.32.04.jpg
Sunset tripper

Postby 9queens » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:05 pm

Definitely go up the Ptarmigan ridge. Quieter and more scenic.
I would say go on a weekday and there may some semblance of tranquility
9queens
Munro compleatist

Munros:244   Corbetts:54
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:3   

Postby BigTed » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:08 am

Ben Lomond is one of the few hills I have failed on. Got halfway up and the wind was so strong we couldn't walk in a straight line. Gusts were blowing us a few feet to the side.

On the other hand my dad used to tell of camping on the top on VE day 1945. The air was so still a candle flame wasn't flickering.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:41 pm

1. It's very straightforward compared to many mountains, climbers include teens in flip-flops, families with kids, the inebriated - included inebriated flip-flop wearing teenage single mothers with kids - all decidedly unwise but it's very often the first Munro people bag.

2. You can't predict the weather. Could be very wet, might be dry. Not impossible to have some snow or ice. A big problem on hills is wind, and again you can't predict that.

3. It can be cloudy, it can be fine, there is no way of knowing. Certainly having a day or two to hand would be ideal.

4. Plenty of water. A wee first aid kit is wise. A phone so you can alert someone if you get into trouble. Nights will be closing in, some form of torch would be a backup. Some midge repellent might be wise (e.g. Smidge).

5. Don't miss the Ptarmigan Ridge if you can. It's lovely. The main path up is a lackluster slog.

6. You're over-thinking things. This is a very well "manicured" route because so many novices climb it each year. It's not an off-road wild, remote exploration. That's not to say it should not be treated with RESPECT, all mountains must. There have been fatalities but I think most of them have been in winter conditions.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion