walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Sgurr na Lapaich, Glen Affric

Re: Sgurr na Lapaich, Glen Affric

Postby KC Pendragon » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:54 pm

al78 wrote:
KC Pendragon wrote:
al78 wrote:I didn't think Sgurr na Lapaich was ever a munro. It is likely because of its lack of prominance on the ridge.

Thanks but it definitely was.

It has since been stated it was demoted in 1921, and my Munros book doesn't list it as a munro, hence why I was confused.

:thumbup:
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:138
Fionas:12   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:7

Postby KC Pendragon » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:56 pm

jmarkb wrote:For anyone interested, there is a spreadsheet detailing all the historical status of the Munros and Tops which you can download from http://www.hills-database.co.uk/downloads.html

Will definitely give this a read, cheers
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Postby KC Pendragon » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:59 pm

KC Pendragon wrote:
The Rec wrote:I remember looking across to this one from Tom a Choinnich and worrying that I'd missed one out doing the Mullardoch Round, so I'm rather glad it's not one.

That said there seems to be plenty of Munros that seem less worthy!

:lol:

How long did it take you to do the Mullardoch round? I’m in awe of anyone managing that in one go, an amazing achievement
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Postby Verylatestarter » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:50 pm

In the end its the quality of the hill that counts not the fact that it's on somebody's contrived list. Climb it and be happy!

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

Postby KC Pendragon » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:00 pm

Verylatestarter wrote:In the end its the quality of the hill that counts not the fact that it's on somebody's contrived list. Climb it and be happy!

John

Thanks John. Believe me, I only climb hills because it makes me happy however I also find the history interesting. Hope you’re a happy walker too :thumbup:
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Postby The Rec » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:13 pm

KC Pendragon wrote:
KC Pendragon wrote:
The Rec wrote:I remember looking across to this one from Tom a Choinnich and worrying that I'd missed one out doing the Mullardoch Round, so I'm rather glad it's not one.

That said there seems to be plenty of Munros that seem less worthy!

:lol:

How long did it take you to do the Mullardoch round? I’m in awe of anyone managing that in one go, an amazing achievement

just under 18 hours I think. Started at 3am and used all the daylight. I wasn't good for much for a few days after!
The Rec

Munros:282   Corbetts:60
Fionas:10   Donalds:17+10
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:99   

Postby Senja » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:01 pm

Sgùrr na Lapaich and Glas Leathad Beag give the pleasure of doing a "munro" without the associated wear and tear. See what most of Munro's Tables looked like around 1982.

There will always be anomalies - I cannot believe that every top bunged up in 1997 being on NTS land was a coincidence.
Senja

Munros:132   Corbetts:27
Fionas:189   Donalds:58
Sub 2000:479   Hewitts:298
Wainwrights:97   Islands:64

Postby Robert Haynes » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:32 pm

KC Pendragon wrote:Spent a wonderful day yesterday walking Càrn Eige, Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Mam Sodhail and demoted Munro Sgùrr na Lapaich. Anyone know the reason for demotion? As it can’t be due to height, guessing it must be something to do with insufficient distance from Mam Sodhail?

Munro's list is ultimately pretty arbitrary - there's no formal definition of what makes a 'mountain' bigger than a 'top'. Every attempt to find one has wound up having to make exceptions somewhere along the line!

That said, Sgùrr na Lapaich does seem to be one that comes up somewhat frequently as justifying promotion to a mountain.
Robert Haynes
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:13 am

If we are talking about tops "worthy of being a Munro", here's another one:
Sgùrr an Iubhair (1001m, reascent 76.8m), subsidiary Top of Sgùrr a' Mhàim in the Mamores.
I think it was a Munro once but was demoted to a M. top...

Last month we repeated Sgorr Gaoith in the Cairngorms to add Munro top Geal Charn (haven't posted it yet, I'm badly behind my TR's, blame Vladolf for that!). Geal Charn has only 54m of reascent but it feels like a separate part of the ridge, at least it felt like that to me.

I'm sure we could debate for a long time, pointing at different tops and suggesting which one deserves to be a full-fledged Munro and which one doesn't... But to be honest, does it really matter, don't we climb hills for fun, not just to tick them off on some list... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Cheers
BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:00 am

When I was young in the 1960's,our family used to regularly visit Glen Affric at Easter and I always used to stare in awe at Sgurr na Lapaich, often with a plume of spindrift soaring from the summit. Some day, I told my Dad, I will climb that mountain and look down on Glen Affric from its summit. I had never heard of Munros then. It finally happened in July1994, when I ascended it via the stalkers path that starts at Affric Lodge, as a great start to climbing Mam Sodhail, Carn Eighe, Tom a Chonich and Toll Creagach. Whatever its classification, it's a fine mountain in its own right.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:06 am

Sgùrr an Iubhair was promoted, somewhat controversially, in 1981 and then demoted again in 1997!

For anyone interested in all the history of the list, there is this book: https://www.smc.org.uk/publications/other/munroists-companions
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Robert Haynes » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:26 am

jmarkb wrote:Sgùrr an Iubhair was promoted, somewhat controversially, in 1981 and then demoted again in 1997!

For anyone interested in all the history of the list, there is this book: https://www.smc.org.uk/publications/other/munroists-companions

I have just dragged my copy out to refer to the excellent article therein by Donald Purchase, in which he attempts to codify a definition of a Munro. He recommends the following hills for promotion:
  • Glas Leathat Beag (Ben Wyvis)
  • Sgurr na Lapaich (Affric)
  • Sail Mhor (Beinn Eighe)
  • Stob na Doire (Buachaille Etive Mor)
  • Cairn Lochan (Cairngorms)

He also proposes thirteen demotions - Sgùrr an Iubhair being just one of them. Notwithstanding a lack of appetite from the SMC to revise the list of Munros, his approach seems generally sound to me!
Robert Haynes
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:23 pm

I reckon it's best to tick off every Top, demoted Munro, former Top, >900m Corbett and unnamed bump on all your favourite Munro summit plateaux & ridges, to reduce the risk of 'Compleaters Nightmare', ie hearing about a new Munro on your death-bed :shock:

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby Verylatestarter » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:26 pm

Boris

I'm not so sure I'll be worried about a stray Munro on my deathbed. I'll still be worried out the two Premium Bonds my nan gave me when I was born - I'm sure one must have come up by now!

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Postby Verylatestarter » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:35 pm

Robert

maybe a better categorization would be:-

The good
the bad and
the ugly.

Clearly what is good is in the 'eye of the beholder' so strict definitions should be irrelevant.

my (limited) experience is; try some good ones and knowledge/observation will reveal further great hills to try and sometimes it's better to revisit a good hill than tick off a new dull one.

'Keep on pushing'

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion