walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cape Wrath trail with a dog

Cape Wrath trail with a dog

Postby KC Pendragon » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:55 pm

Planning the CWT next year with my very able wee dug. Lots of research underway however still in the planning stages - any tips from those who’ve walked the trail with their dog? Cheers!
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:138
Fionas:12   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:7

Re: Cape Wrath trail with a dog

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:27 am

Check out 'Hounds of Howgate' on YouTube. He did the CWT with his collie Moss, and shares lots of useful info about taking his dog along on the trail. He actually had to carry her for the last section to the lighthouse.

Also Mountaineering Scotland have this useful article on taking on the hills: https://www.mountaineering.scot/activities/hillwalking/taking-the-dog
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby KC Pendragon » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:36 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:Check out 'Hounds of Howgate' on YouTube. He did the CWT with his collie Moss, and shares lots of useful info about taking his dog along on the trail. He actually had to carry her for the last section to the lighthouse.

Also Mountaineering Scotland have this useful article on taking on the hills: https://www.mountaineering.scot/activities/hillwalking/taking-the-dog

Thanks! Your video of the trail is one I’ve watched and really enjoyed. Had a wee moment when you spoke about missing your partner, think for me it will be more mentally than physically challenging although certainly not underestimating the latter either. I’ll definitely be looking at stages where I can have my dog (and me!) picked up if necessary.
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:138
Fionas:12   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:7

Postby ScotFinn65 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:07 pm

In addition to Hounds of Howgate, there's also Endorphins CWT with a dog on YouTube

ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:36 pm

KC Pendragon wrote:Had a wee moment when you spoke about missing your partner, think for me it will be more mentally than physically challenging although certainly not underestimating the latter either.

Yeah, I totally didn't expect that to be honest, I thought it would be the physical side I'd struggle with. So expect the unexpected as they say. :lol:

Enjoy though, the planning is fun too as long as you don't over think everything.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Holly » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:51 pm

I also recommend Hounds of Howgate. Its entertaining and very useful! I have done the CWT with my dog and she was great company. She has the ruffwear pallisades pack which is detachable from the harness. Useful and I would decant food daily into it so it wasn’t too heavy for her and she still had a job to do. Helped with the weight of my pack too. Never a shortage with water access. I used a waist belt lead which was really handy if fording rivers so if she were to lose footing she couldn’t be swept away. Left me able to use both walking poles to keep balance. She was tired at night so she was never restless in my tent. I used Permethrin on her harness and on the her wee quilt to kill off any ticks that might have attached or were on her fur. Do that with my own clothes too. Would give her a wee treat when I stopped for a break and like me , she lost weight at the end of the journey :-) It was also useful to carry a wee microfibre towel which she carried in her pack for drying off before going into the tent. I used a wee fold down dog bowl. I carried paracetamol (on vets advice) in event she might have sprained anything but it wasn’t needed. Waterproof jacket for her which was really to reduce wet dog smell in the tent but I got used to it. Things I should have done?,,,,,,, took less food… I had far far too much food for her. Should have used a falconry bell so I could hear her if she strayed too far from the tent when I was putting it up… I have this now. I didnt but now have the Garmin Alpha 200i with collar which has the benefit of Inreach facility so both of us benefit. Especially beneficial as a fair bit of the trail has no reception. Enjoy :-)
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Man X Dog » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:37 pm

I'd love to do that route with my dog too. I can't offer any route specific advice but I've done a few through hikes of up to two weeks with my terrier. To add to the good advice above, I always take a little med pack for the dog in case he gets snagged on anything nasty. Tic Twister is a must, I took out about 15 in one particular day! Mushers Secret was good for keeping his paws in good shape too. Other than that, it's dog dependent but I think having a rest day in the middle where you don't do much mileage is a nice way to look after them. I'm not sure how tough this route is so it might not be necessary but always worth considering 👍
Man X Dog
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion