walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Parking Cluanie Inn

Parking Cluanie Inn

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:27 pm

I see the over the road car park is now for hotel and bakery patrons only.

Im always persuadable to buy a pint and a pie but as anyone had any issue parking there all day?
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Re: Parking Cluanie Inn

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:45 pm

Yes noticed that sign also. You could give them a phone, but there is the wee road nearby on the old road that goes over the Cluanie where there are parking options. That was ok last time I passed.
Sunset tripper

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:50 pm

I don't know how aggressively they are trying to enforce this. As well as the spaces at the start of the old road, there is also a layby a short distance to the west.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby NickyRannoch » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:04 am

Cheers. Have used the one over the Cluanie before but I like my sleep and don't fancy my chances at 10am on a Saturday.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Postby SummitViews » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:46 am

They are currently charging over 230p for a litre of diesel
Exercise your rights , park where you want and don’t give them a penny :)
SummitViews
Mountaineer

Munros:31   

Postby NickyRannoch » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:54 pm

There isn't a right to park on private land.

As I said, happy to make a contribution by paying for a service, was more looking for info on whether or not anybody had had bother for leaving the car there all day.

Not really fussed about the fuel price either. I know some folk in the highlands who ran garages. They made about 5 per litre on fuel, or about £2.50 per tank, and made their money on people coming into the shop.

I doubt many people buying fuel at the Cluanie is also popping in for a meal so they have a right to try and make a bit of money off it.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Postby Shuginho » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:14 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:There isn't a right to park on private land.

As I said, happy to make a contribution by paying for a service, was more looking for info on whether or not anybody had had bother for leaving the car there all day.

Not really fussed about the fuel price either. I know some folk in the highlands who ran garages. They made about 5 per litre on fuel, or about £2.50 per tank, and made their money on people coming into the shop.

I doubt many people buying fuel at the Cluanie is also popping in for a meal so they have a right to try and make a bit of money off it.

probably the first person I've ever seen trying to justify the fuel prices at the Cluanie :lol:

I'm sure the millionaire owners will be ok, even without scamming the passing public (who are daft enough to pay it).
Shuginho
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   Corbetts:4
Fionas:12   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:11   
Islands:24

Postby NickyRannoch » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:21 pm

Not really a scam though is it given the prices are clearly advertised and its no more than 20 or 30 miles from alternatives in all directions.

I have been up and down that road for the last 20 years and have managed not to use them yet.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:56 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:Not really a scam though is it given the prices are clearly advertised and its no more than 20 or 30 miles from alternatives in all directions.

I have been up and down that road for the last 20 years and have managed not to use them yet.

I believe the Cluanie is powered by diesel generators so they need fuel deliveries anyway. I don't know anyone who buys fuel there so it is most likely unsuspecting tourists who are keeping it viable. It was always expensive for fuel there but it was good that the rough parking area was welcoming and free to visitors to the area. The vast majority of highland locations like Cluanie has free parking though it is being eroded away and many landowners in the highlands now are seeing it is easy to make a fast buck, like has being going on further south for years. Not saying the Cluanie is doing this, maybe they genuinely need the space for customers?

The main issues with parking that came to light in the lake district is the extra hassle involved. Always folk on here worried about where to park or getting a ticket which was no real consideration in the past.
The lake district eventually had to bin the parking company that was thriving off the misery it was causing visitors and even locals with its aggressive policing of parking areas.

It's outrageous what has been allowed to happen in Argyll with the high charges in certain areas.
Always surprises me that on their own watch the gov is turning Scotland into the place it is so desperate to get away from. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:26 am

It's outrageous what has been allowed to happen in Argyll with the high charges in certain areas.Always surprises me that on their own watch the gov is turning Scotland into the place it is so desperate to get away from. :?

Agree that parking charges in Argyll are ridiculous. On the other hand, parking charges are set by land owners not government. I’m guessing the parking charges you refer to in Argyll are set by Argyll and Bute council.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby al78 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:59 am

Gareth Harper wrote:
It's outrageous what has been allowed to happen in Argyll with the high charges in certain areas.Always surprises me that on their own watch the gov is turning Scotland into the place it is so desperate to get away from. :?

Agree that parking charges in Argyll are ridiculous. On the other hand, parking charges are set by land owners not government. I’m guessing the parking charges you refer to in Argyll are set by Argyll and Bute council.

Ridiculous, but if someone is providing a product or service, they will charge what they can get away with. From their perspective, the charges are not too high as long as people are willing to pay to park and they are making money, unless people have no choice but to park there, in which case it could amount to exploitation. That is the capitalist system in action.

I seem to remember the contentious parking charges were around double figures which does seem excessive for a rural area. Out of personal interest I looked into how much it would cost me to park in Farringdon if I ever had to go into the office when the trains were not running and it was £23 for the day, which seems quite reasonable for a London car park.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:00 pm

Ridiculous, but if someone is providing a product or service, they will charge what they can get away with. From their perspective, the charges are not too high as long as people are willing to pay to park and they are making money, unless people have no choice but to park there, in which case it could amount to exploitation. That is the capitalist system in action.

I’m assuming the charges in question are the Argyll and Bute council car parks. I don’t live in Argyll and Bute, but I’m not aware of any Scottish Councils or Park Authorities having been privatised.

I parked in Balmaha yesterday. I didn’t pay any attention as to who owns and runs the two car parks, but presumably it is either the Council or the Park Authority. The car parks are substantial for a little village and there’s a nice visitors centre with decent and clean toilet facilities. I paid £3.20 to park for the day. If you are heading to Balmaha by car on a sunny summer weekend either get there early or have a plan B because those two car parks will fill up quick.

Oh a roll n slice is called a Lorne sausage brioche bap in Balmaha by the way – gosh! Very nice they are too, and so they should be at 3 quid and 90p. Yeah a wee bit o capitalism going on there. Nice coffee too I have to say.

I passed the big Arrochar car parks a few weeks ago. Argyll and Bute council have responded to complaints in regard to the charges by dumping a couple of porta cabin bogs in the car park. Nice. :(

I’m happy to park at Balmaha. I don’t use the Arrochar car parks anymore.

Anyway a bit off topic – sorry.

Yeah I’ve use the Cluanie Inn parking a couple of times in the past. I think the hotel has gone way upmarket. I guess the best bet is to ask if you can park up, and mention you’ll be in for a gourmet brioche bap organic butchers steak burger, french fries and pint after the walk – seems fair.

I’ve still got the south side to do. Hoping I can park in the layby further down the road and hitch to the Cluanie and start the walk. But not sure how Covid has impacted with regard to thumbing a lift. I know I still pick up walkers now and again.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ffiill » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:24 pm

Fuel price is exorbitant considering its £1.86 a litre for diesel at Asda Inverness and not much more at Jet in Beauly.
The owner could well afford to give the fuel away if he so wished.He is an Indian multi millionaire who recently sold his world airline catering empire to concentrate on buying hotels inthe Highlands.
He did have plans to turn Glengarry near Tomdoun into a themed highland village holiday resort.He did this in India where he built an authentic Hill Station resort all in the best possible taste!
Park where you will but if I were you I would leave the hotel well alone. Please though if walking back to your car down the road remember that this is the main road to Skye which at this time of year is a lethal mix of visitors,Kamakaze bikers and locals trying to get on with their lives.
ffiill

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion