walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Kintail

Kintail

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:59 pm

Looking for some thoughts of my fellow walkers and climbers.
Looking at doing the 21 Munros either side of the A87 in Kintail. I thought I’d do the south ridge walk plus the other two the first day and then take 6 each day on the north side of the A87 working my way back east.
I’d be wild camping so wouldn’t have the hassle of finding my way back to digs each evening.
Any tips or suggestions most welcome.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Re: Kintail

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:15 pm

I don't know what your fitness levels are like, but that's an ambitious undertaking with a camping camp. Water is scarce on the SGS7 and I don't recall seeing much water on the Brothers & 5 Sisters Ridge either. So you'd need to plan your refills. If you pull it off in 3 days that would be a memorable trip. :D
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:21 pm

Thank you WWW. That’s exactly the kind of insights I was looking for. I must admit water I hadn’t given a great consideration to other than having a camelback in my rucksack.
Fitness wise I’m happy to walk over twenty miles on consecutive days. Just not sure how much height loss and gain there would be on the north side of the 87.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:20 pm

There will be a lot of ascent involved. Here's the route for the south 9 Munros, 2750m of ascent and 26 miles:

https://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/shiel.html

Sisters and Brothers, 3900m of ascent and 22 miles.

https://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/kintailroute.html

If you've got a desktop PC or laptop you can use the GPS map function on here and plot a route to get an idea of distance and ascen:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:40 pm

Much appreciated WWW. It certainly looks like a lot of effort but my time up north is very limited these days so have to try and optimise my trips north.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:29 pm

My partner ran them all bar The Saddle (she got hungry) in a day.

In two days; I’d stay at the Shiel campsite, leaving my tent up. Drive up to the Clunie and day one walk one side back to your tent, day two do the other side back to your car. Then drive back to collect your camping stuff. That way your not carrying camping stuff and two days food.

I have also done them camping high over three days which is a far more civilised approach but the sack is heavy on day one. The pull up to the South Sheil Ridge is easier and less steep at the Clunie end so easier on day one if carrying kit. You can find water high if you look, but won’t find it everywhere.
Scraggygoat

Postby NickyRannoch » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:49 pm

I don't think water is all that big a deal. Plenty folk carry enough to do those as 3 single day walks so just fill up in the morning and where you can on the ridge.

I'd be tempted to do 7 on day two and add Ciste Dubh onto the end of the Brothers or highish camp under An Cnapach. No point descending and then reascending there.

Personally I would find any one of those days hellish but just about doable. Three in a row? Not for me but you know your own body.

Good news is each day probably gets progressively "easier".
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:04 pm

Scraggygoat wrote:My partner ran them all bar The Saddle (she got hungry) in a day.

In two days; I’d stay at the Shiel campsite, leaving my tent up. Drive up to the Clunie and day one walk one side back to your tent, day two do the other side back to your car. Then drive back to collect your camping stuff. That way your not carrying camping stuff and two days food.

I have also done them camping high over three days which is a far more civilised approach but the sack is heavy on day one. The pull up to the South Sheil Ridge is easier and less steep at the Clunie end so easier on day one if carrying kit. You can find water high if you look, but won’t find it everywhere.

I definitely won’t be running it ! Thank you for the advice.
Like the three day camping high approach. In my own mind that’s kind of where I was going. Start at the Cluanie, do the south ridge plus the other two day one. Cross over and do the western six north of the 87 in day two and the eastern six day three finishing back at the Cluanie.
Last edited by Walkinmyfootsteps on Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:08 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:I don't think water is all that big a deal. Plenty folk carry enough to do those as 3 single day walks so just fill up in the morning and where you can on the ridge.

I'd be tempted to do 7 on day two and add Ciste Dubh onto the end of the Brothers or highish camp under An Cnapach. No point descending and then reascending there.

Personally I would find any one of those days hellish but just about doable. Three in a row? Not for me but you know your own body.

Good news is each day probably gets progressively "easier".

Good advice thank you. High camp sounds like a plan on day two. Seven on day two may prove to be a God send come day three from what you are suggesting.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:21 am

From your total of 21, l assume you will do the 5 north of the Cluanie on the north side, after Ciste Dubh (assuming you do the SSR from East to West).

If so, the doing the sisters then the brothers from West to East does leave a long time without water (if you don't drop down.100m) to resupply. I did this on a warm day with direct sunlight and used 4ltrs by the brothers ridge. By the end of the day l was parched.

Spending the last 3 hours staring at the Cluanie dreaming of that pint 🍺🍺🍺
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:50 am

ScotFinn65 wrote:From your total of 21, l assume you will do the 5 north of the Cluanie on the north side, after Ciste Dubh (assuming you do the SSR from East to West).

If so, the doing the sisters then the brothers from West to East does leave a long time without water (if you don't drop down.100m) to resupply. I did this on a warm day with direct sunlight and used 4ltrs by the brothers ridge. By the end of the day l was parched.

Spending the last 3 hours staring at the Cluanie dreaming of that pint 🍺🍺🍺

Thanks ScotFinn, yes that would be the plan. Not sure I would have the energy to drop down to 100m. Hoping my camelback will suffice if I use it sparingly. With the weather recently I’m not expecting hot, dry days. Plan may have to change if that were suddenly to present itself.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion