walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

1997 Munro promotions

Re: 1997 Munro promotions

Postby lucid nonsense » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:39 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:The whole white mounth round raises questions, especially in the light of the Sgor Gaoithe hokey-cokey but I still can not fathom how Tolmount and Tom Buidhe remain separate munros.

1km apart and 70m up and down.

Yes, that seems silly when Glas Leathad Beag in the Ben Wyvis range isn't a Munro. It's a 3 mile walk along the ridge from the main top of Ben Wyvis, it has 132m vertical separation from top that is between them, Tom a' Chòinnich, and it's visible for miles.
lucid nonsense
Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:4

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:22 pm

ScotFinn65 wrote:
One that confused me (although not part of a recent promotion) is Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach.

Coming from Lochnagar it is only about 60m re-ascent, although separation is about 3km. From this side, it is a big lump of nothing. :wink:

A good alternative route for Lochnagar is from Glen Callater or even starting at Braemar where it's a fine cycle along the road and as far as the bothy at Loch Callater. From there a great stalkers path takes you pretty much all the way to Lochnagar, easily taking in Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach on the way if you like. This route is not heavily promoted on WH or the munro book, so far quieter than the Glen Muick approach. While I don't consider myself a Munro bagger I did visit Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach summit on this approach to Lochnagar. I almost certainly wouldn't have if it wasn't a Munro so maybe I'm in denial :D .
Sunset tripper

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:49 pm

All this talk of what is, or what should be a Munro, or any remeasure needs parked until at least the end of September, until I complete. 😂😂
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:58 am

ScotFinn65 wrote:
jupe1407 wrote:When was Creag Pitridh promoted? It's like an 90m reascent or something after Geal Charn :lol:

One that confused me (although not part of a recent promotion) is Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach.

Coming from Lochnagar it is only about 60m re-ascent, although separation is about 3km. From this side, it is a big lump of nothing. :wink:

I did those 5 pretty early on in my round and I do remember getting to CaCB and thinking "surely this isn't it, that was way too easy" :lol:

On a wider note, I've read a few times that Munro was considerably biased towards the 'Gorms, hence a couple of Sgor Gaoithe's tops being munros at one time, as well as Carn-Cloich Mhuillin (his intended last hill). Beinn Iutharn Beag was also a munro in his list as well as Carn a'Bhinnien. I did consider going and visiting all the hills on his original list but laziness and an unwillingness to spend ages trying to get the massive UK hills spreadsheet to work killed that idea :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby weedavie » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:52 am

al78 wrote:I am beginning to think it isn't worth worrying about whether a particular hill is on a list or not. As far as I'm concerned, if a hill provides views of outstanding natural beauty and/or some impressive geological sights, I am interested in climbing it. There are many hills that are way short of Munro height but provide an excellent reward to effort ratio.

It's ok getting sniffy about lists but it's hard to stay unaffected. I had to be on the Westmoreland Yorkshire boundary recently. I just picked out the most attractive ridges from the OS and walked them. But I was definitely influenced by Marilyns (even though I'm not half way down the list and can't see myself getting beyond 60%).

I visited High Seat, with the idea of going on to Hugh Seat, just for the crack. It's all very Moorfoot-like so the pub seemed more attractive and that won out. Imagine my chagrin to find I had not got myself another Marilyn as High Seat is disqualified by Great Shunner Fell, seven unattractive kilometres away! Yes I was just free ranging, yes at a primitive level I was bagging.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby lucid nonsense » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:37 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:A good alternative route for Lochnagar is from Glen Callater or even starting at Braemar where it's a fine cycle along the road and as far as the bothy at Loch Callater. From there a great stalkers path takes you pretty much all the way to Lochnagar, easily taking in Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach on the way if you like. This route is not heavily promoted on WH or the munro book, so far quieter than the Glen Muick approach. While I don't consider myself a Munro bagger I did visit Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach summit on this approach to Lochnagar. I almost certainly wouldn't have if it wasn't a Munro so maybe I'm in denial :D .

When I climbed Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr and Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach I came in from Glen Callater. I hadn't planned on adding Lochnagar but it was a very sunny day and I did so anyway. I think I could see the Caithness Morven about 90 miles to the north.

But don't do what I did, which was to park 3 miles south of where Glen Callater meets the A93 and walk over on the path that leads eastwards to Callater Lodge. I think I thought it would be better because it was marginally shorter and there would be fewer people trying to park there. But in the event, I came down to Callater Lodge on the way back at about 7pm having done about 16 miles. I looked up at the tussocky 500 foot climb I had left myself to get back to the car, and the easy level track I could have been going down, and thought, "yeah thanks, past me".
lucid nonsense
Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:4

Postby weedavie » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:36 am

lucid nonsense wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:But don't do what I did, which was to park 3 miles south of where Glen Callater meets the A93 and walk over on the path that leads eastwards to Callater Lodge. I think I thought it would be better because it was marginally shorter and there would be fewer people trying to park there. But in the event, I came down to Callater Lodge on the way back at about 7pm having done about 16 miles. I looked up at the tussocky 500 foot climb I had left myself to get back to the car, and the easy level track I could have been going down, and thought, "yeah thanks, past me".

On the other hand, that's a nice way to do a circuit of Tolmount and Cairn of Claise, throwing in the Corbett, Creag nan Gabhar, if you're feeling your oats. I encountered an adder and some short-eared owls last time I crossed it.

Nobody seens to have mentioned the spectacular Stuic approach from Invercauld, a fun circuit with Lochnagar.

I've an odd fondness for the hill. First time I was on it was a superb winter's day. The last time I still enjoyed though this was all I saw.
tarm.jpg
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby Robert Haynes » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:04 am

DopeyLoser wrote:Anyhow, it is what it is. I suspect the time for fidgeting with the Munros is pretty well over. Time to make your own list with whatever rules you fancy.

One of these days I'll get around to writing up my list. 2,000 foot altitude limit - but using Alpine rules, so 300m drop needed to count as a Mountain. Stac Pollaidh makes the list, but Cairn Toul becomes the highest Subsidiary Peak in Scotland.

Actually, the 319 Mountains are pretty much good to go. It's the sorting of the 555 Independent Peaks (30 to 300m drop, but the key col below 2,000 feet) and 1,244 Subsidiary Peaks (30 to 300m drop, key col above 2,000 feet) that's time consuming.
Robert Haynes
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby prog99 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:05 pm

Robert Haynes wrote:
DopeyLoser wrote:Anyhow, it is what it is. I suspect the time for fidgeting with the Munros is pretty well over. Time to make your own list with whatever rules you fancy.

One of these days I'll get around to writing up my list. 2,000 foot altitude limit - but using Alpine rules, so 300m drop needed to count as a Mountain. Stac Pollaidh makes the list, but Cairn Toul becomes the highest Subsidiary Peak in Scotland.

Actually, the 319 Mountains are pretty much good to go. It's the sorting of the 555 Independent Peaks (30 to 300m drop, but the key col below 2,000 feet) and 1,244 Subsidiary Peaks (30 to 300m drop, key col above 2,000 feet) that's time consuming.

The 319 are easy with a few filters on the dobih spreadsheet.The others can’t be too difficult I think, will have a look
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Colin1951 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:05 pm

The thing about the List is, I don’t think it was ever intended to be fully rational and reasonable. After all why should it, when it relates to something as sensible and rational as climbing to the summit of 500-odd hills, many of which, god love them, are tick infested heathery lumps.

Makes you appreciate all the more, the ones that aren’t!
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion