walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Mullardoch 12 , anyone ?

Mullardoch 12 , anyone ?

Postby Kenny Raeside » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:30 am

I’m thinking about trying to do the Mullardoch 12 over the next month or two , or when we get a 3 or 4 day settled high moving in. Preferably mid week.
I realise it’s a big undertaking and to test myself I’ve done a couple of 4000m+ / 30+ mile trips over a couple of days recently , and although tired it’s been enjoyable.
I think the Mullardoch route is approx 4500m and 34 miles if memory serves me well. I’d plan on doing this over 3 days with 2 camps after possibly Munro 4 and 8.
First nights camp would be at the head of the loch given the availability of water source, I’m not sure how available the water is on the southern 8, have just ordered OS maps 25 and 33 but if anyone can provide any first hand experience then I’m all ears.

Can anyone advise if signal is available on the summits ? If not then perhaps I’ll have to bite the bullet and get an InReach , but I’d rather not.

I’d also welcome any fellow walkers who are interested in the route .. anyone ?
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Re: Mullardoch 12 , anyone ?

Postby Scraggygoat » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:03 pm

Can’t remember anything about phone signal, checking in is not my cup of tea.

Last time I did it (N side first), I didn’t camp at the head of the Loch at the end of day one, but ascended most of the way up Mullach Sithidh for a high camp with water. Much easier on the legs next morning. Did it over two and a half days, which seamed very relaxed compared to previous two day rounds in Summer and Winter.

Water picked up on the south side below Beleach Ghadialh (N side) and then below Garbo Bealach (S side) where I camped on night two,
Scraggygoat

Postby joreidy » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:11 pm

I'm with 3 mobile network and had zero signal on any of the summits and connecting ridges of An Socach, Mullach na Dheiragain and Sgurr Nan Ceathreamhnan earlier this year. Other networks like EE are generally better in the Highlands although I don't know what the signal would be like in the mullardoch /affric area as the signal in general there isn't great. The last point I had phone signal before entering Glen affric was at Cannich. I ended up buying a garmin in reach mini as a precaution and to give my other half some piece of mind in areas out of reach of phone signal.
joreidy
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:44
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:8

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:27 am

I'm not too bothered about having a phone signal in the hills but was on Sgurr na Lapaich North Mullardoch (the munro) recently and had a full signal 4G on o2 - I received a call on WhatsApp so remember it.
Sunset tripper

Postby Kenny Raeside » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:08 am

Good information re the water and signal, I’m with EE so potentially some signal.
I’ve had a message from a fellow Walkhighlander and we’re going to try and do it together some time in September, so lack of signal isn’t too much of an issue now. My wife would have worried constantly if I was out of reach for a few days and on my own.

Thanks for your input.

Kenny.
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Postby prog99 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:16 am

Had to make a very rare walking phone call on an socach years ago and had full signal on o2. It’s only going to have improved since.
Another sneaky water source is at the foot of Beinn Fhionnlaidh just as it flattens out at Bealach Beag. There is a small spring that I’ve always found to be reliable(it’s just to the east and not out of your way)
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby kevsbald » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:16 pm

Be up for a Winter round….
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:20 am

We were up recently. EE signal is good on the majority of the summits. You'll need to take stalking into account if you are going in September - suggest phoning the stalker just before you go for any route advice - if its still the same bloke who was there 8 years ago, he was very friendly and helpful
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:13 pm

weaselmaster wrote:We were up recently. EE signal is good on the majority of the summits. You'll need to take stalking into account if you are going in September - suggest phoning the stalker just before you go for any route advice - if its still the same bloke who was there 8 years ago, he was very friendly and helpful

Sticking to the paths and high ridges will be fine according to the stalking site for the area.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:36 pm

Sorry for hijacking the OP's post but has anyone continued on past the usual descent from Toll Creagach and gone down Doire Tana instead? Just wondering if it will be any better (particularly carrying a heavy backback) than the reputedly miserable pathless hell down Toll's NE ridge. TIA
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Kirsty_T » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:44 am

Hi OP.

Did I similar expedition couple years ago. Camped after Sgurr na Lapaich and then on the summit of Mullach - meant a very big final day but fitted with our schedule of a 6pm start on day 1 and the weather coming in overnight on day 3. I didn’t really check for signal much but had 4G on Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan on the 3 network much to my surprise. Water was scarce on the southern 8 but we found a source after An Socach and again between Beinn Fhionndlaidh and Carn Eige on the bealach. Used a filter mind as they were basically bogs at that time of year. Once the snow has gone there isn’t really running water up there.

Super hills, good luck.
Kirsty_T
Rock-climber

Munros:72   Corbetts:15
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Kirsty_T » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:58 am

Hi OP

Did a similar expedition to this a couple of years ago. Owing to time constraints and weather we started at 6pm and camped after Sgurr na Lapaich, then on the summit of Mullach, meaning a mammoth 3rd day. I had signal with 3 on the summit of Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan much to my surprise but wasn’t really checking apart from that. We found water after An Socach (Affric side) and between Beinn Fhionnlaidh and Carn Eige on the bealach but it was bog water (we took a filter) - once the snow has gone I don’t think there’s much else.

My wife lost her sense of humour somewhere in the heathery corrie as we descended to the dam in the dark at about 1am after a 16 hour day but she has since found it again - these are super hills, hope you have a great trip.
Kirsty_T
Rock-climber

Munros:72   Corbetts:15
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:19   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion