walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wild camping near Rannoch Station

Wild camping near Rannoch Station

Postby Pixiedog » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:21 am

I'm planning a trip in September. Earlier this year I walked the WHW with my dog and loved in particular the Rannoch Moor/Glencoe area so I want to return and explore more around there. I'm starting from Tyndrum and walking to Bridge of Orchy (wild camp there) then on to Glencoe mountain resort.

The next day I am walking from Glencoe mountain resort, past Kingshouse and across Rannoch Moor to Rannoch Station.
I plan to stay overnight in that area, before walking up to Corrour Station the next day (where I'll spend the night by Loch Ossian then catch a train to my next destination)

Does anyone know if it's easy to find good camping spots close-ish to Rannoch Station? I was looking at maybe the banks of Loch Laidon or otherwise the ruins of Doire na h-Innes? The reason for being near the station: I'm trying to do approx 12-13 miles/day because I have my dog with me and that's what she copes with. This is a convenient place for us to stop as I can also get food there.

I'm new to wild camping so I thought I'd ask advice in case anyone else has stayed around Rannoch station.

Many thanks in advance.
Pixiedog
Walker

Re: Wild camping near Rannoch Station

Postby Holly » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:05 pm

Hi there,
Any time I have gone to Rannoch Station it has been to get the train to Corrour , a camp then back again. Rannoch Station as I am aware has a tearoom but not to my knowledge anywhere to stock up on food? Maybe thats what you mean tho ? In which case thats fine ! Be worth checking their opening times tho. There are a few spots to camp not far from the road coming up to the Station and water shouldn’t be an issue either. Just to be mindful (I have a couple of dogs hence this is what I look for!) there are often fairly tame small herds of red deer around the station and the vicinity so just in case your dog is interested in them its something to be mindful of. Sounds like a great wee trip :-)
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby BigTed » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:52 pm

The bridge over the river at NN443578 just before the turn off for Corrour looks a good possibility. I was along that road on my bike last year and didn't see too many other spots. I noticed most of the laybys were blocked off (presumably to prevent overnight car camping). THis can be ignored if you are walking.

This google image is from 2011 before the laybys were blocked.

https://goo.gl/maps/hbnL3xuwmsof59CM9

PS - the path across the moor from Black Corrie Lodge gets pretty faint in places but it follows a line of telegraph posts so you can't go wrong.

Lovely spot crossing the moor there.

rannochmoor.jpg
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby malolis » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:01 am

Hi, I live in the area round there. The beach at Loch Laidon is a feasilble spot, I've seen people camping there. Very easy short walk from Rannoch station.
malolis
Walker

Munros:63   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Islands:2

Postby davekeiller » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:25 am

@ Holly I assume the OP is proposing to get an evening meal at the Moor of Rannoch hotel, which is near the station.
Sounds like a good plan, but remember that it's not open every night, and booking is essential.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:26 am

The food in the Moor of Rannoch hotel/restaurant is awesome btw!
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:54 am

Boris_the_Bold wrote:The food in the Moor of Rannoch hotel/restaurant is awesome btw!

At those prices it had [expletive deleted] well better be! :shock:

https://www.moorofrannoch.co.uk/drinks/
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Pixiedog » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:52 pm

Thank you all very much for the very helpful info! That's given my a few options to check out :D also good tip to know about the telegraph poles to follow if needed!

I unfortunately don't have the budget for the Moor of Rannoch (looks amazing though) but I've booked a table at the tearoom to stuff myself with as many calories as possible in the late afternoon! And also plan to buy a packed lunch there and potentially breakfast the next day. I have dehydrated camping meals as well but nice to supplement them with something tastier. :lol:
Pixiedog
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion