walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Sail Mhor to Eighe Main Ridge

Sail Mhor to Eighe Main Ridge

Postby LobeyD » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:56 pm

I did the standard route on Beinn Eighe from Glen Torridon last week. Took a detour over Coinneach Mhor to have a look at the scramble to Sail Mhor. The relatively straightforward initial section petered out to either a dodgy looking loose gulley or an airy rockstep of several metres. I assumed the rockstep was the route but there were a few possible lines. Dan Bailey's 'Big Days' book has this at Grade 1 but I occasionally feel his descriptions miss a 'mostly' :D. Looked doable but probably best done in ascent so I left it for another day.

Anyone been up that way? Thoughts on scrambling grade etc. plus any photos of the step from below would be appreciated.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Sail Mhor to Eighe Main Ridge

Postby malky_c » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:19 pm

I went up Sail Mhor a few months ago, but although I always meant to do the scramble onto Coinneach Mhor, I was short of time so I didn't bother in the end - just went back the way I'd come up.

It is mentioned in a few reports but this one seems to be the only one with any useful detail in:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=93431
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby jmarkb » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:22 pm

It is Grade 2 via the rock step - there are several possible lines, steep but on good holds. Would feel quite commiting in descent. The gully may be easier but looser. Was about to link to my TR, but Malky has got there first!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby ness64 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:40 pm

I have only done this route in ascent which is certainly easier, but it is possible to bypass the rock step. The direct ascent looked impossible to me (I'm not a rock climber!) so I walked around the obstacle on the right hand (south) side and found a bypass path that leads to an easy 'staircase' which is no more than a grade 1 scramble. The sloping rock slabs above the staircase can be avoided by scrambling up a gully to the left.

Photos and description in my trip report:
https://ness64.wordpress.com/2015/01/28/meall-dearg-liathach-beinn-eighe/#Day%202
ness64
Munro compleatist

Munros:211   Corbetts:103
Fionas:38   
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:16

Postby jmarkb » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:00 am

ness64 wrote:I have only done this route in ascent which is certainly easier, but it is possible to bypass the rock step

Ah, that's very useful, thanks for posting! I think that must have been the way I went in winter.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby LobeyD » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:12 am

Thanks folks. Very useful info for (hopefully) future reference.

Looks like my impression from the top was about right. Grade 2 if taken directly but that it was such a jumbled mess of steps and slabs there was probably a meandering Grade 1 if you looked carefully enough.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:54 pm

The 1:25,000 OS map makes it look a lot simpler than it is, it was 'fun' (and fairly straightforward navigationally) in the Sail Mhor to Coinneach Mhor direction and looked impossible from above when I tried it in the other direction (at the end of a long day mopping up Tops), so I turned back and used the conventional descent into CMF.

There was no obvious sign of the 'optimum' route in the west-bound direction (eg no line of cairns, no handy rusty fence, no big sign saying 'Tourist Path to Sail Mhor' etc), so I'm not sure I was looking down the right 'cliff' when I made the decision to turn back.

If you planning to try this in that direction (and have a GPS), it might be worth seeing if you can find a detailed grid reference for the top of the down climb (or relevant gully), as it is obviously not a good place to to start down-climbing the wrong cliff!

Have fun!

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby Driftwood » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:05 pm

I descended from Coinneach Mhor to Sail Mhor, and then returned the same way, in June 2019. After initially looking down a gully on the south side, I took the blocky route, which leads west and more or less directly to the line of the ridge out.

Three others went up that way shortly after I'd descended, though I've only views on it from below:
DSCF0351crop.jpg
Blocky scramble to and from Sail Mhor

And that photo in full, to hopefully help locate it:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cPdQuSG6zoE2Knsa6

I'm quite happy with easier scrambles (grade 1 and probably 2), especially in decent conditions, and found it fine on a clear, dry day. A great bit of a magnificent hill. I kept to the giant blocks, rather than the sloping slabs, but there are plenty of options.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion