walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Tips for a Corbett Bagger!

Re: Tips for a Corbett Bagger!

Postby IamAJMiller » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:47 pm

This is all really great advice, thanks so much for adding to the thread.

I wonder if there was a general consensus for the 1) Most technically challenging Corbett & 2) Most remote Corbett; assuming that the Munro equivalents would be Inaccessible Pinnacle and A'Mhaighdean (arguably) respectively? Would The Cobbler's Central top be regarded as the most technically difficult because of the airy scramble, or is there something else awaiting me?
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:16 pm

IamAJMiller wrote:This is all really great advice, thanks so much for adding to the thread.

I wonder if there was a general consensus for the 1) Most technically challenging Corbett & 2) Most remote Corbett; assuming that the Munro equivalents would be Inaccessible Pinnacle and A'Mhaighdean (arguably) respectively? Would The Cobbler's Central top be regarded as the most technically difficult because of the airy scramble, or is there something else awaiting me?

I always worried about The Cobbler, but friends form the north came down to do it with us, and I was so worried about making a fool of myself in front of them that husband and I did it as soon as we arrived rather than wait for them . I worried about it in advance far more than the In pinn, as I only intended to go and watch husband compleat on the latter, but guide seemed to think I was coming too, and had clapped a hard hat on me and told me to follow him before I had time to think again. I don't know if Ben Aden is the most remote Corbett, but there seem to be so many approaches that it feels like it.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby IamAJMiller » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:03 pm

Sgurr wrote:
IamAJMiller wrote:This is all really great advice, thanks so much for adding to the thread.

I always worried about The Cobbler, but friends form the north came down to do it with us, and I was so worried about making a fool of myself in front of them that husband and I did it as soon as we arrived rather than wait for them . I worried about it in advance far more than the In pinn, as I only intended to go and watch husband compleat on the latter, but guide seemed to think I was coming too, and had clapped a hard hat on me and told me to follow him before I had time to think again. I don't know if Ben Aden is the most remote Corbett, but there seem to be so many approaches that it feels like it.

Luckily The Cobbler is one that I did listen to the advice "Do your Corbetts at the same time as your Munros" and I did it, along with Ben Ime & Narnain. I enjoyed the scramble, but even at the time wondered if it was the most technical Corbett.

Ben Aden is a good shout for the most remote. I was in Knoydart last weekend and got a great look at it from Meall Buidhe; a cracking looking mountain, excited to go back!
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:04 pm

Most remote mainland Corbett would be Beinn a' Chasgein Mor or the Beinn Deargs in Fisherfield. That's if you use distance as the crow flies from roads as your criteria for "remote".

I've not really experienced anything technically difficult on the Corbetts so far, though I've still a fair few to do. Beinn Dearg in Torridon has some tricky down climbs if you go west to east along the ridge. The difficulty in the Corbetts, in my opinion, is the terrain and re-ascents rather than being difficult for route finding or scrambling, unless you go out of your way looking for scrambling.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:16 pm

Just put up my old Ben Aden report from Scottishhills which has gone kaput https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=113999
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby al78 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:48 am

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:Most remote mainland Corbett would be Beinn a' Chasgein Mor or the Beinn Deargs in Fisherfield. That's if you use distance as the crow flies from roads as your criteria for "remote".

As far as distance from a road is concerned, I'd have thought Beinn Bhreac in the Forest of Atholl was up there. This corbett may not feel as remote as some others because much of the walk in can be done by bike.

I still fancy doing a traverse from glen Tilt to glen Geldie across the munros and corbetts, but I am not confident in my ability to do the ascent required with a heavy backpack, never mind the possibility of poor weather.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby prog99 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:12 pm

al78 wrote:As far as distance from a road is concerned, I'd have thought Beinn Bhreac in the Forest of Atholl was up there. This corbett may not feel as remote as some others because much of the walk in can be done by bike.

I still fancy doing a traverse from glen Tilt to glen Geldie across the munros and corbetts, but I am not confident in my ability to do the ascent required with a heavy backpack, never mind the possibility of poor weather.

It does feel remote, certainly from the summit. However I’ve only done it once and that was as a day trip from Edinburgh on the train and then biked in and out with time left for a few pints in the pub before the train home.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:54 pm

al78 wrote:
iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:Most remote mainland Corbett would be Beinn a' Chasgein Mor or the Beinn Deargs in Fisherfield. That's if you use distance as the crow flies from roads as your criteria for "remote".

As far as distance from a road is concerned, I'd have thought Beinn Bhreac in the Forest of Atholl was up there. This corbett may not feel as remote as some others because much of the walk in can be done by bike.

I did a loop of the four Munros and two Corbetts around the Tarff. 27 miles from Blair Atholl to Tarff Hotel on day 1 which was about as big a day as I'd do but I wasn't absolutely destroyed. The next day was just Carn a' Chlamain and then the walk out along Glen Tilt. Would highly recommend as the terrain is all easy going, if a bit tedious coming down An Sgarsoch.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion