walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

What's your favourite circular route near Loch Lomond?

What's your favourite circular route near Loch Lomond?

Postby Man X Dog » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I've managed to wangle a bit of time off Dad duties for my birthday this month so I'm heading to the Loch Lomond area for a nice hike with my dog and a good pal.

I'm looking for suggestions on good circular routes (we're taking one car) with nice views that take in at least one Munro. Ideally something that's on the quieter side if that's possible during the middle of August.

We're happy to be walking all day and a bit of scrambling isn't a problem if necessary. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Will be heading to a pub for a well deserved beer afterwards and pitching a tent. Can't wait!
Man X Dog
Wanderer

Re: What's your favourite circular route near Loch Lomond?

Postby simon-b » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:35 pm

Hi
This might seem obvious, but the regular Walkhighlands route for Ben Lomond would seem to tick your boxes. It's a popular route so is unlikely to be particularly quiet, although the Ptarmigan Ridge section shouldn't be as busy as the Tourist Route section.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby tolkienabouthills » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:43 pm

Man X Dog wrote:Hi everyone,

I've managed to wangle a bit of time off Dad duties for my birthday this month so I'm heading to the Loch Lomond area for a nice hike with my dog and a good pal.

I'm looking for suggestions on good circular routes (we're taking one car) with nice views that take in at least one Munro. Ideally something that's on the quieter side if that's possible during the middle of August.

We're happy to be walking all day and a bit of scrambling isn't a problem if necessary. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Will be heading to a pub for a well deserved beer afterwards and pitching a tent. Can't wait!

I did Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Àrdrain last August and barely saw a soul. Just a couple of lads near the start of the walk and an elderly chap coming off the summit of Beinn Tulaichean. Wonderful mountains with some incredible views in an area that seems to get missed by people who either stop further south, or rush past on their way to glens Coe and Etive.

I did it as part of a walk from Dunblane to Glen Coe, so my route was linear from Inverlochlarig to Glen Falloch but I know the walkhighlands route is mostly circular (just a short stretch of there and back to summit Cruach Àrdrain). The only warning would be that the climb up from the glen to Beinn Tulaichean is unrelentingly steep and mostly pathless. I'm pretty sure with a bit of imagination you could make a circuit out of the Glen Falloch approach too, certainly the approach to the summits from the Grey Height-Meall Damh ridge is more interesting than the climb from Inverlochlarig (not that the latter is dull by any means). If you were feeling really adventurous you could even extend it into a big circuit that includes the three munros to the west.
tolkienabouthills
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   Islands:2

Postby Man X Dog » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:51 pm

simon-b wrote:Hi
This might seem obvious, but the regular Walkhighlands route for Ben Lomond would seem to tick your boxes. It's a popular route so is unlikely to be particularly quiet, although the Ptarmigan Ridge section shouldn't be as busy as the Tourist Route section.

Thanks Simon, I'd actually originally planned to do Ben Lomond but was a bit put off by the potential for traffic on the trail. My dog can be a bit wary of strangers at times so it's more enjoyable to be somewhere quiet. The ridge route could be an option though so I'll look into it.
Man X Dog
Wanderer

Postby Man X Dog » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:01 pm

tolkienabouthills wrote:
Man X Dog wrote:Hi everyone,

I did Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Àrdrain last August and barely saw a soul. Just a couple of lads near the start of the walk and an elderly chap coming off the summit of Beinn Tulaichean. Wonderful mountains with some incredible views in an area that seems to get missed by people who either stop further south, or rush past on their way to glens Coe and Etive.

I did it as part of a walk from Dunblane to Glen Coe, so my route was linear from Inverlochlarig to Glen Falloch but I know the walkhighlands route is mostly circular (just a short stretch of there and back to summit Cruach Àrdrain). The only warning would be that the climb up from the glen to Beinn Tulaichean is unrelentingly steep and mostly pathless. I'm pretty sure with a bit of imagination you could make a circuit out of the Glen Falloch approach too, certainly the approach to the summits from the Grey Height-Meall Damh ridge is more interesting than the climb from Inverlochlarig (not that the latter is dull by any means). If you were feeling really adventurous you could even extend it into a big circuit that includes the three munros to the west.

This sounds really great, thanks for the tip. I've had a quick look at the photos on Google and it certainly fits the bill. Will research the route and see if we can give ourselves a few options.
Man X Dog
Wanderer

Postby BigTed » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:10 am

Another option. From Arrochar. Beinn Narnain and A'Chrois

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20006

Far fewer sheep on that route than Ben Lomond if that matters for your dog. And once you are out the trees and heading for A'Chrois there will be far less people than on Ben Lomond.

The map shows the route striking straight up the hill from the carpark. This used to be the main path. The new path (dotted green line) is far better and I'd probably use it then cut over towards A'Chrois along a level track/path from the small dam at
NN280051

Though perhaps someone here has been up the old track recently and can comment.

PS A good circular route for bad weather is to take the new track. Turn right at the forestry track. Then follow it all the way round to Coire Grogan. From the end of the track, up onto Bealach A Mhaim then down the Cobbler track. Going up towards Bealach A Mhaim there is one point where there is a waist high fence with no gate or stile. So your dog would need lifted over.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:32 am

An Caisteal and Ben a' chroin.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby MRG1 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:01 pm

One that I like is Ben Vorlich.
The one on the western shore of Loch Lomond.
I think Walkhighlands gives the more established "there and back" route from Inveruglas but there is a much quieter option from Ardlui.
That can be made into a circular by including the Little Hills ridge.
I've both ascended and descended from Ardlui and Inveruglas and the Ardlui side has always been far far quieter.
Never done the Little Hills though, they look like an awesome route.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:24   

Postby Man X Dog » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:50 pm

BigTed wrote:Another option. From Arrochar. Beinn Narnain and A'Chrois

Thanks Ted that looks like a great route. Good point about the sheep too. We've come a cropper with that before! As always I'm sure the weather will be unpredictable so good to know about the new track.
Man X Dog
Wanderer

Postby Man X Dog » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:57 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:An Caisteal and Ben a' chroin.

That looks great too. Thanks for the suggestion. I've recently moved to the Glasgow area so I'll be working my way through all of these routes as they're on the doorstep really.
Man X Dog
Wanderer

Postby Man X Dog » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:43 am

MRG1 wrote:One that I like is Ben Vorlich.
The one on the western shore of Loch Lomond.
I think Walkhighlands gives the more established "there and back" route from Inveruglas but there is a much quieter option from Ardlui.
That can be made into a circular by including the Little Hills ridge.
I've both ascended and descended from Ardlui and Inveruglas and the Ardlui side has always been far far quieter.
Never done the Little Hills though, they look like an awesome route.

Thanks MRG, I've been reading through the walk reports for this and it sounds great. Some nice lochans for the dog to have a dip too 👍
Man X Dog
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion