walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Liathach

Liathach

Postby KC Pendragon » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:35 am

It’s not by chance that Liathach is on my “still to do list”. Although I’m excited by the walk, I’m not that comfortable with exposure. I think I’ll opt for the route over the pinnacles rather than the bypass path and wondering how the scrambling/ exposure compares to the Aonach Eagach ridge?
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:135
Fionas:12   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:7

Re: Liathach

Postby jmarkb » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:15 am

I wouldn't say there is a big difference - Liathach is perhaps slightly easier: it is only exposed in a few places and the difficulties are shorter-lived.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby 9queens » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:26 pm

Still on my list too.
I will have no embarrassment at hiring a guide when the time comes to remove most of the stress and make the experience more enjoyable.

I did the Aonoch Eagach myself when I was younger and nearly made a pig's ear of it.
9queens
Munro compleatist

Munros:244   Corbetts:54
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Kenny Raeside » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:36 pm

9queens wrote:Still on my list too.
I will have no embarrassment at hiring a guide when the time comes to remove most of the stress and make the experience more enjoyable.

I did the Aonoch Eagach myself when I was younger and nearly made a pig's ear of it.

If you’re hiring a guide and don’t mind company, bung a post on here or drop me a message , we could split or reduce the guide cost 🤔
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Postby simon-b » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:09 pm

Hi KC
I've done both Aonach Eagach and Liathach by the crests of the ridges. I'd say the greatest feeling of exposure on either was on the Crazy Pinnacles on AE. I'd also agree with JMB that the scrambling on Liathach is perhaps easier. I seem to remember there were more technical down climbing sections on AE.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:30 pm

Agree with the above, the grade is probably very similar, but I think Aonach Eagach felt slightly more exposed and insecure at times. Been a while though, glad I did these while I was young, fit and regularly scrambling and climbing as I'd be a bit wobbly now!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:50 pm

Very similar, perhaps Liathach was slightly less involved. The one caveat is the crumbly sandstone can come away in your hand or under a foothold, so (like all scrambles) make sure your hold is solid before committing your move.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:53 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:Very similar, perhaps Liathach was slightly less involved. The one caveat is the crumbly sandstone can come away in your hand or under a foothold, so (like all scrambles) make sure your hold is solid before committing your move.

Sound advice, and where possible three points of contact on the rock.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby KC Pendragon » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:18 pm

jmarkb wrote:I wouldn't say there is a big difference - Liathach is perhaps slightly easier: it is only exposed in a few places and the difficulties are shorter-lived.

Cheers, I was hoping this to be the case
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Postby KC Pendragon » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:19 pm

simon-b wrote:Hi KC
I've done both Aonach Eagach and Liathach by the crests of the ridges. I'd say the greatest feeling of exposure on either was on the Crazy Pinnacles on AE. I'd also agree with JMB that the scrambling on Liathach is perhaps easier. I seem to remember there were more technical down climbing sections on AE.

Thanks Simon, this is a little reassuring
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Postby KC Pendragon » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:22 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Agree with the above, the grade is probably very similar, but I think Aonach Eagach felt slightly more exposed and insecure at times. Been a while though, glad I did these while I was young, fit and regularly scrambling and climbing as I'd be a bit wobbly now!

Haha, I swore I’d never do AE again! It was quite early in my walking days so hoping I’m more confident now although as you say, the body may not feel that way!
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Postby KC Pendragon » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:23 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:Very similar, perhaps Liathach was slightly less involved. The one caveat is the crumbly sandstone can come away in your hand or under a foothold, so (like all scrambles) make sure your hold is solid before committing your move.

Thanks Robin, good advice.
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Postby prog99 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:23 pm

As per the other comments with the addition of -
The approach and descent are longer but it’s much easier to return to the start at the end of the day.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Alex W » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:30 pm

I hired a guide for Liathach. AE I did when I was young, fit and no sense of self preservation. I was also rock climbing at the time.

Having a guide and being roped up took the fear out of it and made it a hassle free, thoroughly enjoyable, absolute delight of a day. The first roped up move was a fairly easy waist high mantelshelf move which was a doddle except for a couple of thousand feet of air under your heels. A guide and a rope made all the difference. I can recommend it.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:14 am

I used Jim Sutherland (aka ‘Nineonesix’ ) based in Shieldaig’) to help get me and my teenage children up Mullach an Rathain from the back (ie over the Northern Pinnacles) a few years ago -not sure if he is still operating, but he certainly knows the Torridon hills well, if you do decide you need some moral support

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion