walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Scottish Hills

Scottish Hills

Postby Coulags » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:39 am

It appears that the other channel is no more . I’ve been trying to access the Scottish Hills website .
A shame as it was a really good forum .
Coulags
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:154   Donalds:7
Islands:28

Re: Scottish Hills

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:10 am

Hopefully a temporary thing. It was a great site at one time with some great info in its archives too.
Walkhighlands is unrivalled for walking guides now though.
Sunset tripper

Postby Steve B » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:09 pm

A real shame if that is the case.
Was a great source of alternates to the usual way of doing things.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:50 pm

Am afraid that will be the end of Scottish Hills from what i am led to believe, sad but in the days of Facebook, Instagram,Tik Tok and nobody really wanting to post time consuming trip reports, things move on, but not always for the better.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:06 pm

Chris is aware of it, but isn't hopeful of sorting it either. :( It was a great vibrant forum, just couldn't compete with FB groups and Instagram.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:46 pm

I had over 330 trip reports there (as Squiz). I've got them all in my computer, but I don't suppose Paul & Helen would welcome everything back to 2008 suddenly being plastered all over WH. Some people have websites ( Kinley and goth_angel) , but I really miss being able to refer to Scottishhills.com , and don't feel like learning how to do my own website just yet.....anyway, nobody would come. . R always did his own separate reports in much better style than mine on paper, and I have just moved them all into my new flat, am not moving self until mid October.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby rockhopper » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:26 pm

Would agree with WWW - there were some great threads and it's a shame if it disappears but, perhaps regrettably, times move on. Even here on WH it does look as though there are fewer comments on many walk reports than say 5 - 10 years ago although reports do attract likes instead. Maybe that's the way of things and people prefer clicking a tag instead of typing something. I still use a desktop PC so preparing reports and photos isn't that tricky but I guess many (younger ?) people may focus on using their phones for much of their online interactions - I'm not sure how I'd prepare a report using a phone.
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:02 am

rockhopper wrote:Would agree with WWW - there were some great threads and it's a shame if it disappears but, perhaps regrettably, times move on. Even here on WH it does look as though there are fewer comments on many walk reports than say 5 - 10 years ago although reports do attract likes instead. Maybe that's the way of things and people prefer clicking a tag instead of typing something. I still use a desktop PC so preparing reports and photos isn't that tricky but I guess many (younger ?) people may focus on using their phones for much of their online interactions - I'm not sure how I'd prepare a report using a phone.

Indeed. Now, have you all received my messenger pigeons?

296200136_753201599276670_5962460663821857372_n.jpg
Speckled Jim sets off on a courageous mission.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:58 am

I haven't seen your delicious pigeon (burp) but I'm willing to ignite the Warning Beacons of Gondor.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby goth_angel » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:46 pm

It's a real shame if it has finally gone.

I haven't been on there as much as I used to since I set up my own blog (Mountains and Malbec) and started to focus more on the Wainwrights, having given up on the idea of ever doing the Munros, but it was a great source of information and there were some great social meets too.

I have over a hundred trip reports on there and although all my Wainwright walks are on my own website I've lost access to the records of the majority of my Scottish trips. :(
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby prog99 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:53 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:Chris is aware of it, but isn't hopeful of sorting it either. :( It was a great vibrant forum, just couldn't compete with FB groups and Instagram.

If Chris needs a hand I may be able to assist. Can pm my contact details if you don’t have them.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Booga » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:37 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:Am afraid that will be the end of Scottish Hills from what i am led to believe, sad but in the days of Facebook, Instagram,Tik Tok and nobody really wanting to post time consuming trip reports, things move on, but not always for the better.

Sad to hear but I've seen a lot of forums and online communities go this way. The trouble with facebook groups etc is you get different people asking the same questions week after week when forums would have had a useful thread that could be searched for.
Th UK bothies forum went this way. Now that there are about 4 facebook bothy groups it only gets a few posts a year although it still makes good reading with plenty of stories that don't get posted up on social media as much.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby Jan Pawlowski » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:02 pm

You guys talking about the Scottish Hills makes me think that I was really missing out.
Jan Pawlowski
Walker

Postby cruachan06 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:05 pm

Marty_JG wrote:I haven't seen your delicious pigeon (burp) but I'm willing to ignite the Warning Beacons of Gondor.

Are we going to have to start referring to you as the Gondor Pigeon Murderer? (In best General Melchett voice). :D
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby gman » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:25 pm

I suppose that's the nature of web forums, there'll be something around in the future with current info so long as there's a demand for it but a lot of stuff is obviously going to be lost.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion