walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Scottish Hills

Re: Scottish Hills

Postby JWCW2014 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:01 am

As part of the first generation that had regular internet access before turning 18 (just..) I’ve noticed a trend amongst my peers away from social media and more disposable/instant forms of communication.

The forums here and trip reports are an excellent resource and I regularly read user posts from 10+ years ago that contain some excellent advice/views or a cautionary tale about a route or area.

Unfortunately most platforms prioritise quantity of traffic whereas the quality is key - but I’m aware that ad revenue is mostly about ‘hits and clicks’
JWCW2014
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1+0
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:11

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:53 pm

gman wrote:It maybe highlights a couple of things - if there are any posts, trip reports etc on WH that you have a sentimental attachment to it might be worth taking a back up copy.

I've been doing this in an extremely laborious manner ever since flickr suddenly started charging.

Does anyone know a reasonably straighforward way of taking backups of WH reports???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby prog99 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:57 pm

Alteknacker wrote:
gman wrote:It maybe highlights a couple of things - if there are any posts, trip reports etc on WH that you have a sentimental attachment to it might be worth taking a back up copy.

I've been doing this in an extremely laborious manner ever since flickr suddenly started charging.

Does anyone know a reasonably straighforward way of taking backups of WH reports???

You could export them as pdfs by entering each one and save as pdf(or whatever command your browser offers)
Or with a bit of scripting trickery it’d be possible to extract out the html version for each one.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby aliwood » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:29 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:Stop the bus, can you compare your friend's hill logs on here? Loved that function on SH for planning trips. 8)

I really liked this feature too on SH, using it to keep track and plan walks based on what hills we had walked. Liked the fact that you could display the hill counts side by side.

Is this something that can be done on WH too?
aliwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:27   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:37 pm

aliwood wrote:
WalkWithWallace wrote:Stop the bus, can you compare your friend's hill logs on here? Loved that function on SH for planning trips. 8)

I really liked this feature too on SH, using it to keep track and plan walks based on what hills we had walked. Liked the fact that you could display the hill counts side by side.

Is this something that can be done on WH too?

Quite possibly, I might ask Paul if he doesn't see this comment. It was good fun if there was a bit of competitiveness too. :lol:
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Lewton » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:28 pm

Hi Paul. Sorry to elbow in on this thread. Wasn't sure how else to contact you.

I've sent a p.m. to you and it's stuck in the Outbox. Not sure why. Anyway, it's a personal hiking gear question. Hope that's okay. Please let me know how to get it to 'sent' status if there's something I need to do. Thanks Paul.

Wayne

[quote="Paul Webster"][quote] At what pace can you ..............
Last edited by Lewton on Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:29 pm

Lewton wrote:Hi Paul. Sorry to elbow in on this thread. Wasn't sure how else to contact you.

I've sent a p.m. to you and it's stuck in the Outbox. Not sure why. Anyway, it's a persoanl hiking gear question. Hope that's okay. Please let me know how to get it to 'sent' status if there's something I need to do. Thanks Paul.

Wayne

Paul Webster wrote:
At what pace can you ..............

I think they may stay in the outbox until read. Weird, I know! Or is that another forum?
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Lewton » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:32 pm

Ah! Okay. Thanks Mal. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:20 pm

prog99 wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:

You could export them as pdfs by entering each one and save as pdf(or whatever command your browser offers)
Or with a bit of scripting trickery it’d be possible to extract out the html version for each one.

Thanks for the reply, but...

Sorry to be extremely dumb in matters IT...

How does one "enter" a report such that one can get to an option of saving it? I've tried in both view and edit modes, without any success.

Do you know where I can find out how to do the scripting trickery you refer to?? I have no experience whatever in this sphere :roll:

Many thanks.

AK
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby kev_russ » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:37 am

jupe1407 wrote:
matt_outandabout wrote:I do wonder.

I had the misfortune of joining a couple of groups - a bothy one and a Scottish hills/walking/Highlands one.

The bothy group was dominated by 'loud' members who's sole intention was to post in 'fake' old Scots and party at every bothy they went to - the final straw was someone wanting to buy a scrambler motorbike and trailer to carry in enough supplies for the night....

The walking group was huge, huge numbers of inexperienced walkers and the only reply to 'what hill?' question became Ben Aan and make sure you've got your yoga pants on for the summit selfie.

FB and Twitter are in my view dominated by the bits, the gobby and the scammers now. The marketplace is worthless. The group's generally poor. There only good thing is being and to keep up with some wider friends. Twitter is just an argument.

I don't need that negativity.

I had to opposite experience on the bothy page I joined a few years back. It was dominated by a guy called Hollis (long since banned i assume) who was permanently raging at the author of the Bothy Bible to weirdly obsessive lengths. There was certainly a vibe of "its our ball and you're not playing with it" towards newcomers there. To be fair it doesn't seem quite as bad now.

The hillwalking FB pages are pretty much as you describe, with a stunning combination of stupid questions (what hill should I climb, I live in Glasgow),attention-seeking Instabores and guys who think climbing Ben Lomond once in 1984 makes them Reinhold Meissner when it comes to telling off newbies who ask GPS questions.

Still, you do get the odd useful snippet of route info and some of the arguments are tremendous entertainment.

Spot on... That Hollis was a nightmare. There were a few that you could feel the rage of the bothy Bible bursting through the screen :D
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Craiging619 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:22 pm

That's a shame. I never joined Scottish Hills but the "Can you see Norway from the Cairngorms?" thread was the stuff of legend. Would be great if that one popped up somewhere in some form or other.

prog99 wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:

That's a great idea, I might well end up PDF'ing every one of my reports (could just go through the lot one day). If they all disappeared one morning I'd be having a faint.
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:33
Fionas:40   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:04 pm

⚡ Hi folks, for those who used the ScottishHills website over the last 17 years, Chris has asked me to post this announcement on his behalf regarding the mother site:

I'm very sorry to say that the ScottishHills main website will not be
returning. The website was started in 2005 and I wrote it using the
technology of the time. Unfortunately web technology has been advancing
quicker than I've been able to keep up with it and the old code is no
longer supported by today's web hosting companies. We got an extra few
years out of it by hopping web hosting to sites where they still made
the old tech available but it's now caught up with us. I'm afraid I
neither have the time nor the technical knowledge any more to get it
back up and running.

For those of you that had your hill logs on the site - I should be able
to retrieve them for you. Just send an email to admin@scottishhills.com
stating your username from the main page and I'll get it sent to you.
Please be patient. I'll try to do them in the evenings.

As far as trip reports go - it's harder for me to get them off the site
in a format that works well. I'll try to figure something out and if I
can make it possible I'll let you know via the facebook page.

Thank you to all the users and friends who have used the website over
the years. It was only successful because of all your input which never
ceased to impress with your brilliantly written trip reports, fantastic
photographs and great humour. Many thanks too to the admins and
moderators who have been invaluable in helping me out over the years.
(Too many to mention but you all know who you are!!!)

Thanks again and happy hillwalking.

Chris
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:52 pm

I had over 300 reports up there. I don't mind the Corbetts and the Grahams going so much as there are plenty of reports and books available for them, but the Marilyn reports were helpful to the increasing number of people doing them. We REALLY missed Anne Bowker's reports when "Mad About Mountains" went because she got dementia. The alternative way finding out how other people had done them was going to the geograph site where Richard Webb was prolific, clicking on a summit photo and then going in all directions until we found which way he had gone up. Sorry that old coding has deprived Marilyn baggers of a few helpful hints.

Being so much smaller than Walk Highlands it was easier for Scottishills to become a real community (though I am sure many Walk Highlanders have met people through this site). It was a shiller who booked Carn Mor Lodge so that I could climb A'Mhaigdean for my 80th, and I have gone to 2 Full House Completions through people that I met through Scottish Hills. Shillers offered to climb the Corbetts I still had to do, that R had done already, and he REALLY didn't want to repeat. A shiller noted that I had a solitary unclimbed Marilyn in a sea of climbed ones, correctly guessed that R didn't want to repeat the 6 mile walk through the forest before getting to the hill, told me he was working in there with his digger and offered me a lift (YES TREKPETE Recognise yourself?) . We seldom went to meets, or, too our shame, compleations, but many people made contacts like that.

I had been gradually double posting, so some of my stuff is here, and I am afraid that more will be coming as I have versions and photos, but 45 reports (here) is small compared to 300+ there.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Senja » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:58 pm

"site where Richard Webb was prolific, "

Still is - although possibly laid low by a tick right now.
Senja

Munros:132   Corbetts:27
Fionas:189   Donalds:58
Sub 2000:479   Hewitts:298
Wainwrights:97   Islands:64

Postby Walks with dog » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:16 pm

Late to all this but did Chris ever post anything about retireving old TRs? I had just over 100 there, posted as Ouakha.

Most of those reports were walks with my old dog, Flint, and I'd like to be able to get them back, and perhaps post some here if they make sense in the context - a lot of the jokes / references were very 'in' to the Shills crowd and wouldn't translate outside that site.

God damn FB!

BTW did anyone ever set up a Scottishhills Instagram account? That's the only social media I use now - my FB page is intentionally sparse, misleading and nigh dormant!
Walks with dog
Wanderer

Munros:90   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion