walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Creag nan Damh (SGS) Question

Creag nan Damh (SGS) Question

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:48 am

Hi all - first time I did the SGS I followed the traditional east to west route. I'm going back again this coming weekend and considering a West to East walk this time - however I'm wondering if there's a quicker way up Creag nan Damh - my vague recollection is the main descent path being pretty long and tedious. The OS map suggests a couple of possibilities slightly east - following a fenceline up over Sgurr a'Chuillin, or heading up the NE ridge (mentioned as an alternative on here) and for which appears to have a stalkers path at least part of the way up from the bridge on the A87. Anyone been up this way and if so, how was it?
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Creag nan Damh (SGS) Question

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:05 am

I did the west to east about 3 or 4 years ago I think. Followed the route on here pretty much. It seemed fairly quick and half decent path mostly. Maybe after 7 munros it just felt long in descent. :D

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:15 am

I came off Creag nan Damh and just went to the bealach leading to Sgurr a Chuilinn and followed roughly the river down till i picked up the wee path it was ok but rather wet at the time i would imagine at this time of year it would be slighly overgrown.
There was a bit of bobbing and weaving at the forest avoiding bog at the time from what i can remember.
I camped at the bridge and then done the Brothers back to Cluanie to avoid the road.

Looking back to the bealach
106.JPG
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby prog99 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:25 am

As per Giant StoneEater. We’ve gone up roughly this way before. Don’t remember any real obstacles. From memory we may have cut eastwards up a small tributary onto the ridge and actually go over the 755m spot height.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:18 pm

I have been up from the bridge via the stalker’s path and the NE ridge, which was fine. The initial route finding wasn’t completely obvious: start right next to the bridge down a steep bank through the undergrowth and follow a boggy path between the trees and the burn until you reach a fence. Follow this uphill on the forestry side to a gate/gap where you pick up the stalker’s path proper.

The NE ridge is quite steep but there is a path of sorts which makes a rising traverse leftwards at the top.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:33 pm

I've been down the NE ridge and the path was only really obvious from 500m but in ascent it will be obvious where you are going after that.

Bit of bushwhacking through the forest to begin with as there is no path through the trees. Although every chance there is and I lost it.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:24 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. We'll have a look once we're down there and decide. It looks like being absolutely roasting so fighting high vegetation might be off the agenda :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion