walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Sugar Bowl Carpark

Sugar Bowl Carpark

Postby DavidShepherd » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:23 am

So, nice looking weather this weekend. Might finally try and do the Cairntoul - Braeriach traverse with an overnight camp.
Can anyone advise on what the sugar bowl car park is like for availability say early afternoon on a Friday? And is anyone aware of any alternatives nearby cause lets be honest, it feels unlikely there will be space at that point of the day!
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Re: Sugar Bowl Carpark

Postby JWCW2014 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:55 pm

Considering the same route so might see you out there David though I’m likely starting on Saturday early morning.
JWCW2014
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1+0
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:11

Postby Fairweather Softie » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:43 pm

DavidShepherd wrote:So, nice looking weather this weekend. Might finally try and do the Cairntoul - Braeriach traverse with an overnight camp.
Can anyone advise on what the sugar bowl car park is like for availability say early afternoon on a Friday? And is anyone aware of any alternatives nearby cause lets be honest, it feels unlikely there will be space at that point of the day!

Hi David,

Used car park a week ago, arrived early so no issues with space, even got it for free at the machine was broken. I did the traverse in single day, it was a long day, just under 13hrs from car to car. Great walk
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby DavidShepherd » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:24 pm

JWCW2014 wrote:Considering the same route so might see you out there David though I’m likely starting on Saturday early morning.

You never know! Hope you enjoy yourself if you get out!
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Postby DavidShepherd » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:25 pm

Fairweather Softie wrote:
DavidShepherd wrote:So, nice looking weather this weekend. Might finally try and do the Cairntoul - Braeriach traverse with an overnight camp.

Hi David,

Used car park a week ago, arrived early so no issues with space, even got it for free at the machine was broken. I did the traverse in single day, it was a long day, just under 13hrs from car to car. Great walk

Thanks! Its just over a 3hr drive for me to get there so arriving v early is something I am not planning on doing :)
Considered getting it all done in a day, but thought it would be nicer to try and get a summit camp.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Postby ScotFinn65 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:40 pm

I parked further down on the bus route and just got the bus to drop me off at the Sugar Bowl. Then again, that you mean your timing tying up with the bus schedule.

On the way back l took the Rothimurcus Lodge road directly back to the car. No need to do the "Gap" twice 😉
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby mproudfoot » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:12 pm

It’s a big day for sure - I did this one last year from Sugar Bowl, 4:45am start, back at the car by 3:15pm (10.5h total time) where the ranger was ticketing cars without parking tickets. Lots of fluids and walking poles got me through that one. You are right though, parking spaces are at a premium later in the day - I’d be tempted to camp nearby and drive to the sugar bowl early in the morning.
mproudfoot
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:21   Donalds:28+11
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:10

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:31 pm

You shouldn't have any problem parking at the Sugarbowl on a Friday afternoon. I wouldn't worry about parking tickets either. Officially nowadays you are not allowed to park there overnight but its not enforceable. If you are worried about parking tickets just do what others do and park on the verge nearby.
Also there is the big carpark further up the hill and the ski car park where you can take a short cut across towards the Chalamain Gap.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby DavidShepherd » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:24 pm

Thanks all, very helpful info!
I had found a potential parking spot before the sugar bowl car park on the side of the road (a big open area on the verge, not right on the verge, i hate that) that gave about a .5 mile extension to the walk to hit the same path.

Also never even thought about the cairngorms ski centre car park! Was trying to limit the length of the walk, its long enough but I am planning on splitting it over two days so I could just suck it up lol
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion