walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Which summits are the Five Sisters?

Which summits are the Five Sisters?

Postby Allan 601 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:02 pm

I'm struggling to find a definitive answer to this, but which 5 summits make up the Five Sisters of Kintail?

The best I can find is:

Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe
Sgurr na Carnach
Sgurr Fhuaran
Sgurr nan Saighead
Sgurr na Moraich

But I've heard some people say that Sgurr nan Spainteach is the first of the sisters!

Any enlightenment would be very welcome!
Allan 601
Stravaiging

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:223
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Which summits are the Five Sisters?

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:35 pm

AS I understand it, the name comes from the classic view from the pass over Ratagan.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/kintail/2_6/2_6_1l.JPG

That means your list is spot on, though backwards if left to right!

The name has nothing to do with Munros/Tops etc.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby simon-b » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:16 pm

Allan 601 wrote:I'm struggling to find a definitive answer to this, but which 5 summits make up the Five Sisters of Kintail?

The best I can find is:

Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe
Sgurr na Carnach
Sgurr Fhuaran
Sgurr nan Saighead
Sgurr na Moraich

But I've heard some people say that Sgurr nan Spainteach is the first of the sisters!

Any enlightenment would be very welcome!

Yes, I too agree with this list. It fits with the idea, as Mal says, that they were named the Five Sisters due to the view of them, rather than by people walking on them. So, like the Three Sisters of Glen Coe, probably named a long time before challenge names like Yorkshire 3 Peaks, National 3 Peaks, 10 Tors etc. The idea that that Sgurr na Spainteach might be one of the Sisters would seem to come from walkers 'doing' the Five Sisters, who are more likely to traverse that one than Sgurr na Moraich.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby weedavie » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:03 am

simon-b wrote:
Allan 601 wrote: The idea that that Sgurr na Spainteach might be one of the Sisters would seem to come from walkers 'doing' the Five Sisters, who are more likely to traverse that one than Sgurr na Moraich.

People who don't do Sgurr na Moraich lack integrity, but the descent NNE off that fecker has to be one of the most knee-shattering, demoralising drops ever.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby Allan 601 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:34 am

Mal and Simon, thanks very much - I knew it was about the view but hadn't heard that it was from the Ratagan pass which would justify excluding Spainteach in the list.

Weedavie - I've seen plenty of walk reports and videos titled "Five Sisters" that go nowhere near Sgurr na Moraich. Each to their own I suppose but I wouldn't claim the route had been done without it, wrecked knees or not!

Cheers all.
Allan 601
Stravaiging

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:223
Wainwrights:214   

Postby simon-b » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:24 pm

weedavie wrote:
simon-b wrote:
Allan 601 wrote: The idea that that Sgurr na Spainteach might be one of the Sisters would seem to come from walkers 'doing' the Five Sisters, who are more likely to traverse that one than Sgurr na Moraich.

People who don't do Sgurr na Moraich lack integrity, but the descent NNE off that fecker has to be one of the most knee-shattering, demoralising drops ever.

Ha ha I remember that descent well! It was satisfying to have done all five, but as the name didn't start out as a challenge, people who just want to do the ridge for enjoyment and/or Munro bagging are quite justified in descending earlier as per WH route if that's their preference. As we were justified in our preference, despite that fecker! Nice view from Moraich's summit down to the glen and Innis a' Chroe too.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Lournieloon » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:26 pm

Having five sisters and two brothers I have of course completed my family in Kintail. I did not do the Spaniards as I found I had started at the wrong place so continued up a fairly good track before heading to the pass between the Spaniards and the Ciste.
At the other end I did Moraich(my sister Kathleen) and doubled back then took the track down, following the Alt a Chruinn. Altogether possibly one of the best hikes in the world.
Screenshot_2022-08-15-20-04-39-27_4b0ff7d1a999f4a94efeb3d52293553d.jpg
Attachments
Screenshot_2022-08-15-20-02-44-15_4b0ff7d1a999f4a94efeb3d52293553d.jpg
Lournieloon
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion