walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Some advice, please

Some advice, please

Postby affric1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi

I will be staying just outside Inverness next week and would like to attempt my first Munro. I have my own transport, am reasonably fit and own maps and a compass - which I can use! I also have walking experience and can comfortably do about 12 miles in a day. Since it will be my first Munro does anyone have any suggestions. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks
affric1

Munros:4   

Re: Some advice, please

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:34 pm

It has to be Ben Wyvis - a great wee Munro - quite steep up An Cabar but then a nice plateau walk for about 1 mile - great wee shelter at the end - if cloudy, it'll test your compass work. Look for a car park on the right, not long after Contin. The path is excellent. Enjoy.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:265   Corbetts:122
Grahams:76   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

Postby jim.mackintosh » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Yep Ben Wyvis, would be a good opener to the munro's. Not to far from Inverness, and the path they have laid makes the route alot clearer.Hope you enjoy.
jim.mackintosh

Munros:209   Corbetts:15
Grahams:10   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:52   

Postby Myth » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:02 pm

Yep - Wyvis is probably the most straight forward walk nearest Inverness... and the views can be lovely.

It's a good climb, but simples (as Alexander would say).
Myth

Postby alanm » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:58 pm

Hey there I'm from Inverness. Wyvis is to Inverness what Ben Lomond is to Glasgow...ie the tourist hill. So for a first Munro its perfect as you will probably not be alone. I agree with all the above advice- if you get a clear day you can see loads and it will definatly wet your appetite for more, if its not clear theres a path to almost the top and then you can practice your map and compass navigation on the last bit to the summit.

(As an alternative check out Glen Affric, its a nice drive and if you get there and the mist is down a walk round the loch is a good wee expedition. The walks on here are medium/long routes but I'd recomend Mam Sodhail or Toll Creagach on their own for a beginner(good views on a clear day), bit more strenous than Wyvis though. :)
alanm

Munros:234   Corbetts:64
Grahams:47   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:60   Islands:39

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion