walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

newbie question???

newbie question???

Postby boabie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:49 pm

hey folks, i have a little query... dont slaughter me please :lol:

relatively new to this walking caper, and im getting really in to it! great way to keep fit and see some of the greatest scenery in the world.. but i'm kinda stumped when it comes to the difference between all the peaks...

i know that munro's are peaks at 3000ft and above
i know that corbetts are between 2500 and 3000ft
i know that grahams are between 2000 and 2500ft
and the marilyns are below 2000ft

but i've noticed on maps there are peaks that are of certain hights that are not classed in either category! for example, Glen Doll has the two munro's of mayar and driesh at 928 and 947 meters respectively, but theres hunt hill to the south of driesh at 734 meters, hill of strone at 850 meters, bassies at 822 meters, etc.. but none are classed in any of the category's above.

is there a reason for this?

thanks for helping out a novice :D
boabie
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: newbie question???

Postby Derek T » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:49 am

HI boabie,

Each of the hill lists has its own set of criteria. A common factor for inclusion in the list is whether or not a particular summit has a prominence of so many feet above the highest ridge from which you can ascend it. I'm not sure what all the relevant prominences are but I think all the rules of classification of the various hill lists are explained on www.wikipedia.org

Some of the lists are quite random, such as the Wainwrights in the Lake District, which don't seem to have much logic to them at all apart from they are all above 1,000ft (apart from the one that isn't!) :smile:

Derek
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby Derek T » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:58 am

Here is the page explaining Munro classification: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munro
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby Alastair S » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:21 am

This site has the definition of each category - just click on each of the menu items below the "Munro" one on the top of the page.

A Marilyn is "a hill of any height with a drop of 150 metres (nearly 500 ft) or more on all sides". So it is a hill which is relatively high compared to its surroundings. As all of the Corbetts and Grahams and the majority of the Munros are also Marilyns this site only lists the sub 2,000ft ones rather than duplicate all of the above 2,000ft ones.

There are a panoply of different lists. hill-bagging.co.uk covers most (if not all) of them.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby boabie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:39 pm

thanks guys, those links explain it a bit better... i was only wondering why there were certain hills not listed in the bagging maps. cheers :D
boabie
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi boabie - I had the same question when I started this lark :lol: Hunt hill is listed in the Grahams though here
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/grahams/hunt-hill and a fine walk it is too :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby boabie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 pm

:? ok, now it gets more confusing! :lol:

the 'hunt hill' i was talking about is just south of little driesh... how many hills have the same name? :lol:

and the hunt hill at glen doll is bigger than the hunt hill in the list :? :lol:
boabie
Mountaineer

Postby Kevin29035 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:40 am

http://www.westcoastpeaks.com/hordaland/pf.html

That also explains prominence. I remember getting into it and finding it really awkward to get my head around prominence. Once I got it, it made perfect sense.

And about multiple hill-names, look no further than around Glen Roy (Fort William) where there are three Carn Dearg's and two Leana Mhor's all right beside one another.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion