walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wild Camping - Gas Stoves

Wild Camping - Gas Stoves

Postby dazza4994 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Hiya,

Away to wild camp this weekend in Glen Lui and I know they have signs up stating 'no fires' but I'm presuming it's still okay to use gas stoves. They just don't want people making loads of bonfires, right?
dazza4994
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   Donalds:18+0
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:38   Islands:12

Re: Wild Camping - Gas Stoves

Postby tango » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:30 am

Yeah no problems there,just use your gas cooker out of sight!! Sometimes if you are cooking at night the flames will get you noticed, so i like to just hide the cooker some what!! Better of nobody knows you are there! you get a better nights sleep.. :) Enjoy....
tango

Re: Wild Camping - Gas Stoves

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:29 pm

We've just come through the area (Tilt & Lairig Ghru) and used gas stoves. Stoves, if used away from grass or bushes and not tipped over are pretty safe, but at present, the Cairngorms are in transition from Winter dead grass to Spring fresh green grass and are also tinder-dry from a lack of decent rainfall. It would only take one stray spark from a fire to see a repeat of the events on the West coast recently. Much of the peaty ground is also dry, and once burning, it can burn and spread underground. It's not really about trying to spoil peoples enjoyment, or about trying to be clever and hide fires from the owners, it's about being sensible and avoiding damage to the mountains we all like to enjoy.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion