walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Charged by a red deer

Charged by a red deer

Postby Highlander » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi Folks,

Just back from a BTO breeding bird survey in the Invernenty Burn/Beinn Bhreac area just south of Inverlochlarig. Whilst in the corrie between Beinn Bhreac and Meall Gaothach I saw three red deer hinds when one of them (could have been a stag, visibility was poor) decided to charge towards me. I was ready to let the dog go when fortunately it suddenly changed direction and rejoined the other hinds before heading away. I can only assume that there was a young calve nearby. Has anybody else experienced this?

H
Highlander
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:11   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:2   Islands:17

Re: Charged by a red deer

Postby steven671 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:38 pm

it`s the dog they fear,natural instinct of hunter predator and protection,one get`s it all the time with cattle,highland cow`s with calves are killer`s and horse`s as it`s getting dark will charge.i have had roe deer buck`s coming right close and barking at my dog
steven671
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Highlander » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks Steven. I was talking to the farmer at Ballimore recently and he said that he has seen cows kill ewes and lambs. Its certainly the time of year to be weary of any large animal! Link to a related story below.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/3755572.stm
Highlander
Munro compleatist

Postby Steve Dee » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:52 pm

I accidentally disturbed a nest of grouse coming down off Beinn Iutharn Mhor on Saturday and the grouse chased me and made a sort of devilish, hissing growl ! It then feigned injury to try and lead me away from its nest of chicks/cheepers. Felt very guilty as the cheepers scattered in all directions.

I also avoid cattle at any cost as my father was a butcher and I'm sure they smell the butcher's son on me!! :D . Seriously, cattle are big, stupid and some can be very dangerous.
Steve Dee
Hill Bagger

Munros:249   Corbetts:1

Postby skuk007 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:34 am

Was walking through a local route (Cheddar Gorge) recently when a goat, with it's kid, went out of it's way to chase me down the hill. :lol:
It seen me approaching and wandered off, I was going the opposite direction but it turned round and deliberatly chased me.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Salahuddin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:58 pm

I went up Beinn Fhada a few years ago passing the Dorusdain (spelling?) woodland, the route up was fine. I noticed a few gates that would suggest cattle roam the area but there were no sign of them in the morning, however later that day on the return (came back the same way) about a dozen of them decided to blockade my exit at one of the gates. with one large cow staring straight at me.

I didnt fancy my chances and after about a 15min stand-off i realised i was wearing a bright red top so i took it off thinking it would help a few minutes later the cow watching me lost interest and i sneaked past them all. Near Morvich i spoke to who i guess was a local and told him of the 'incident' and he laughed and mentioned how cows are in fact colour blind and they would have probably charged me if i made any sudden movements towards them or if i had a dog with me! (apparently the title "man's best friend" does not extend to cows)

Since then i have a new found respect for cows...(of the bovine variety)
Salahuddin
Munro compleatist

Munros:21   Corbetts:8
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:2

Postby RicKamila » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:26 pm

Cows, Deer, Goats... thats nothing, when I lived in Australia, I disturbed a frilled-neck lizard and this video gives you an idea of what I went through...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yweU3J7Bbw[/youtube]

I've never run so fast in my life. :lol:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Salahuddin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:01 pm

LOL! :lol:

Quick get Doug McClure on the case! we need to stop that thing!
Salahuddin
Munro compleatist

Munros:21   Corbetts:8
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:2

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:50 pm

It's possible you might get attacked by a stag in the rutting season if you were too close, but I did hear of a walker that was
attacked by a reindeer.
http://outdoors.caledonianmercury.com/2010/11/23/hillwalker-fights-off-reindeer-attack-with-walking-pole/001335
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:19 pm

To date, my experience is that deer always run away from myself with dog.
However, I suppose if startled or worried about their young it is perfectly feasible.

Can't say the same for cattle - definitely avoid them with a dog especially if they are with calves.
I have been attacked by a cow, within a couple of feet of being hit.

In 2009, I came over a rise to be confronted with >100 stags. Myself, with dog, actually ran towards them to get a good photo and they all ran away from us. If they had run towards us, we would have been in real trouble.

foggieclimber

Postby Highlander » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks guys, some interesting stories and warnings to us all there. Foggie - that's a great picture, thanks for sharing it with us! h
Highlander
Munro compleatist

Postby mojomcl » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:40 am

I'd have needed a change of pants :shock: :lol:

I must say, the cattle around me have been VERY intimidating over the last couple of weeks. My regular 5/6 mile dog walks around local farmland have become a rather bum-clenching adventure - and after being stalked by some very angry mama moos last week, I've gone back to pavements and streets! lol
mojomcl
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion