walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Hope - Summer Solstice

Ben Hope - Summer Solstice

Postby alanm » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:57 pm

I've been told that due to its latitude and with the added altitude that on a clear day/night the sun can be seen all night at the summit of Ben Hope on the 21st June. Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction? and secondly has anyone done it..got any pictures? (Was thinking about doing it this year but other commitments got in the way :( )
alanm

Munros:242   Corbetts:75
Fionas:50   Donalds:26+7
Sub 2000:98   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:60   Islands:40

Re: Ben Hope - Summer Solstice

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:56 pm

I wouldn't be surprised - I've lived in the Outer Hebrides which aren't as far north and sometimes we had midnight sun and it virtually never got dark in mid summer. Also, just got back from Ullapool and that's pretty similar, although we didn't see the midnight sun. People were driving and cycling around at 11pm with no lights on though - and no need for them...
mountain coward

Postby kinley » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:04 pm

alanm wrote:I've been told that due to its latitude and with the added altitude that on a clear day/night the sun can be seen all night at the summit of Ben Hope on the 21st June. Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction?

Fiction.

The Arctic Circle is the line of latitude needed for a no-sunset summer solstice (or a no-sunrise winter solstice). The 900m altitude doesn't give you much more than 10mins extra at each end of the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Circle

even the northern-most point of Shetland is a few 100 miles short. The Shetlanders describe "Simmer Dim" as the half-light all night through though.

Shortest day length up there is just under 4hrs, longest day just over 20hrs.

P.S. You can't see Iceland from Ben Hope either :wink:
kinley

Postby alanm » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks Kinley.....might not be able to see the sun but sounds like it wouldnt be that dark....maybe next year!

Alan
alanm

Munros:242   Corbetts:75
Fionas:50   Donalds:26+7
Sub 2000:98   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:60   Islands:40

Postby Wanderlust » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:56 pm

glad you've cleared that up, I thought it sounded a bit dubious, myself.

I once visited the Lofoten Islands, off the coast of Norway. it was the end of July and I missed the midnight sun by about 2 weeks
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:31 pm

If the weather's clear it definitely doesn't get properly dark at all during the night. And we could see Iceland from the Outer Hebrides... by radar!;-)

And what I meant by 'seeing the summer sun' in the Hebrides was, around midnight, if you looked to the north, there was an orange glow on the horizon some nights (definitely wasn't street lights as there was nothing directly north of us). Shame I didn't take piccies!
mountain coward

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion