walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Scrambles in the Lawers area

Scrambles in the Lawers area

Postby MartinMeredith » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:34 pm

Let's face it, the prospect of a scramble is enough to send a frisson of excitement/dread through the average walker -- well, me at least. Even the slog up from sea-level to a Munro summit seems like just the prelude if there's some hands-on bits to be tackled later in the day.

There are (at least) 3 recognised scrambles in the Loch Tay region, 2 of which form part of normal Munro routes, while the other is also frequently tackled along with a Munro. Having done all 3 within a few days earlier this month, and as a relative newcomer to this sort of thing, I thought I'd share some of my experiences. All seem to be graded 1 in various guides, yet there are big differences between them.

Scramble 1: west 'face' of Meall Garbh on the Tarmachan Ridge
Scramble 2: east face of An Stuc
Scramble 3: north face of Stuc a' Chroin

My experiences would suggest the grading 0.5 (Meall Garbh), 1.0 (An Stuc) and 1.5 (Stuc a Chroin). However, I (perhaps foolishly) did them in the order 3, 1, 2 and this probably influenced how difficult I found them.

While many of the popular Munro books devote only a few lines to these scrambles by saying: there are no real technical problems here, my opinion is that while it is undoubtably true that (in summer) there are no technical difficulties, for many walkers the real issue is a lack of confidence mixed with some uncertainty about what lies ahead. The writers of these guides may well have forgotten (or never experienced) the lack of confidence. I find it helpful to at least try to overcome the what lies ahead point before setting out and hope that the confidence comes with exposure, as it were...

Starting with Meall Garbh (which is a great little mountain with a strange deeply-grooved path running along a surprisingly narrow ridge), this is the part requiring some hand contact. This is a zoom taken from part way up the slope to Beinn nan Eachan. Note the two walkers about to descend (I also descended, because it seems natural to start this circuit with the Munro Meall nan Tarmachan). You can probably make out an alternative path which starts some metres before the top of the scramble to the left (north) which rejoins the scramble just at its base. The photo doesn't really give a good impression of steepness, but suffice to say that at the top looking down even the alternative path seems quite steep. The photo makes it seem all very gentle. Actually, the scramble is quite easy although the rocks are large slabs and I can imagine would be slippy in the wet.

mg_closeup.jpg

Here's a long-range shot from the north, from the single-track road linking Loch Tay and Glen Lyon, just to give an idea of the slope.

mg_north.jpg

Here's the view looking back up from the base (sorry about the sun...)

mg_base.jpg

In summary, this would be a great little scramble to limber up for ...

An Stuc. A lot has been written about this, and I benefited a lot from reading various lists including this one before setting off. I ascended it on a wet (well, variously sun, rain, snow, hail -- the usual mix) Saturday, so there were plenty of people to watch, which is what I did to get some idea of the line. The path is a little difficult to make out in this shot, but you should be able to follow it from the base of the photo, about 25% away from the left edge, snaking up the steep grassy slope until it gets lost in a rocky cleft for some tens of metres before emerging on the slightly less steep grassy bit near the top (but always to the left of the main body of rocks).

anstuc_large.jpg

This is the line most people were taking (there may be others...)

anstuc_path.jpg

Here's a close-up of the scrambly part with some walkers to give a sense of scale. Here the problem is one of erosion underfoot and some loose rock at hand level. The stiff bit doesn't last long -- perhaps 10 minutes if you're taking it very carefully. The route is very obvious as is the point at which to join the grass at the top (not visible on this photo). At no point did it feel too difficult to back-track, which is an important consideration I think. I imagine this route would be equally-difficult/easy ascending or descending because the line is so clear and the hill is not so convex that you can't see where to head. Still, definitely a step up from Meall Garbh.

anstuc.jpg

This shot, taken from some distance away in the south-east half way up to Meall Greigh, gives an idea of the steepness.

anstuc_distant2.jpg

and with a rough tracing of the path

anstuc_path_side.jpg

Finally, we come to the prow of Stuc a Chroin, which seems to have been a bit of jinxed mountain for some on this list. This was Munro #2 for me after Ben Vorlich, and perhaps I was trying to get this one out of the way early on. This is the view that greets you from Ben Vorlich on a good day. From here, the path across the bealach gets lost in the boulder field but then is quite clear rising up right of centre.

Stuc_from_Vorlich.jpg

Here's a closeup of the same shot and the path is pretty obvious ...

stuc_detail.jpg

... although on the ground I managed to lose it on exiting the boulder field (too much time watching the hares and gazing up at the scramble). This shot is from the base of the rocks and gives a realistic impression of the slope. Having lost the path, I suppose I followed the principle of least ascent without actually descending, doubting whether I was doing the right thing, until I fortunately happened upon a path about half way up. The thing which made this scramble trickier than An Stuc, for me at least, was the absence of other walkers, the length of the hands-on part (by my reckoning, at least half as much again that of An Stuc), not being able to see the top until just past those vertical bits about 2/3rds of the way up and the steepness and exposure seemed a little worse than An Stuc. I suppose it is all relative, and had I done these scrambles in a different order than perhaps I'd rate them a bit differently. Perhaps I'll tackle Stuc a Chroin again one day and see things in another light.

stuc_base.jpg

Later in the day, descending to the west, you get this view of the prow, which probably would have put me off climbing it so early on in my Munro days had I seen it first from this angle rather than the somewhat flat end on view from Vorlich.

stuc_from_west.jpg

Here's a detail of that shot. I find it difficult to trace out the path from this angle.

stuc_from_west_detail.jpg

Finally, the view from the top of the scramble over to Ben Vorlich makes it worthwhile.

stuc_from_top.jpg

Well, I hope I haven't put anybody off -- quite the reverse. There's nothing like scrambling for gaining confidence and at the same time respect for the hills.

Martin
MartinMeredith

Munros:161   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Scrambles in the Lawers area

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:59 pm

That's probably the most helpful post I've ever read (all respect to everyone else) as it has really good detail for me, including angles of slope, length of scramble, comments like whether it's easy to reverse etc. While you seem to have much more confidence than me, you seem to really understand what the cowards among us are thinking! Thanks for the time you've spent putting that together. Strangely, I'm reassured about the Tarmachan scramble - looks a piece of cake and great fun and is in a groove so I'll be fine (no exposure), and I'm more reassured about Stuc a' Chroin but really worried about An Stuc now! I think the Stuc a' Chroin scramble looks like you have plenty of good rock around to grab onto whereas to me, the An Stuc scramble looks like, if you slip, oo-errr!

Thanks again - I'll be studying this post a lot more as the various walks approach!
mountain coward

Postby Freewheelin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:15 am

mc - I did mention a different route for SoC not long ago - if you look at Martin's 'Stuc_from_Vorlich.jpg' pic, you can see boulders going off to the left at the base of the scramble. Follow them round and you will find a reasonable path up that grassy gully you can see. Looks steep, but it's easy and no scrambling involved. :)
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:34 am

Thanks. I did actually see that gully in the pic and wondered - now I know. Looks like I can go either side. I'm gonna have a look at the little path which goes across the buttress to the right of the actual scramble up it - if I hate it, looks like I've a choice of either side now :D
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:40 pm

Great post.

Mountain Coward, there is yet another way on Stuc a'Chroin, much further to the right. This is a steep but easy (not in winter!) path with no scrambling and is only a little further than going head on up the scramble.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Yeah thanks - someone's put that in another post for me, complete with diagrams;-) I'm hard work aren't I?;-)
mountain coward

Postby sloosh » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:55 pm

Yep. You've captured the 'Wall of Death' on the Tarmachan ridge well. Dunno what it's really called but that's the name me and my buddy gave it after forgetting it was there. Thankfully no-one was around to see us go white as a sheet and start looking around for ropes (we would've known by the peels of laughter). We got down eventually but it wasn't graceful. :lol:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:37 pm

I always try to go up things like that - if I know about them in advance (and that's one of the reasons I come on here!) - I just hate the lack of traction and the fact that you have to look at a big drop going down!
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:41 pm

You can go down using your bum alot though :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby sloosh » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Paul Webster wrote:You can go down using your bum alot though :D

I know. :lol:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Glad I found this fantastic post, as I'm heading to Vorlich & Stuc on Sunday. Now I have a better idea what I'll be facing, dunno if that a good thing or not tho :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby TheOldCodger » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Fantastic post, Martin!
The Tarmachan downclimb is getting worse every year, isn't. I first did it many years ago, MC, early in my Munro-bagging career and we were a bit spooked by the exposure (the fact there was a fair bit of ice on the bare rock didnae help!). If you do it descending, I'd suggest the by-pass path. You can always walk round afterwards to take a look from below! :D

At about the same time we tried the An Stuc face and turned back!

It's the looseness of the rock and grass that can be unsettling. We did find the Torridon scrambling a lot easier than the Lawers stuff!

Stuc a' Chroin: so the path is to the left of the prow, but what about the prow itself? Is that doable? I think the old Storer book gave the direct route up the buttress as the same as the Aonach Eagach.

The picture of the buttress from the West reminds me of the Lochnagar Stuic, which I did without bother (the hardest line) and much enjoyed. So I'd be tempted to go up the buttress, to the right of the path. But I remember reading the Chroin buttress is one of the worst accident spots in Breadalbane...

Thanks for all the info, Martin, it's really useful.
TheOldCodger
Munro compleatist

Postby adamarchie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Thanks for a well-put-together article, Martin.

I, like you (and most people I suspect) descended the Tarmachan bit. In my case it was on a bone dry summer's day, so it didn't give any problems. In fact, ascending it would have been good fun; descending, on the other hand, was a nuisance. Next time I do the ridge, I'm definitely doing it clockwise. A scramble up the south-facing crags of Creag na Caillich would be a fine way to start the day.

I've just come back from a fine winter's day out round the Lawers four (Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh, An Stuc, Ben Lawers). Interesting to find out where the An Stuc "path" is when visible! I've attached a jpeg of the route I roughly ended up taking: essentially the east ridge/face direct. Conditions were a bit nasty and mixed: loose snow, rock, heather/grass, with the odd bit of reasonable neve, which I attempted to locate where possible. Only one axe and I was climbing solo, so the exposure was certainly thought-provoking: in winter, you're guaranteed to go straight to the bottom, i.e. the bealach at a minimum and Lochan nan Cat on a bad day! Ice axe buried in tufts of heather = never a good thing!

Cheers,
Adam
Attachments
An Stuc east face.jpg
My route, roughly.
adamarchie
Hill Bagger

Munros:259   Corbetts:40
Fionas:17   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:21   

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Really helpful post for those of us who haven't yet scrambled but are hoping to in the near future. I guess that you'll never know until you go but reading articles like this certainly helps reassure the mind - thank you! :D
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby ScotFinn65 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks Martin.

This article is simply fantastic.

It is a few years since you posted this but it has captured the exact hopes and fears of a novice planning these hills, in such a way to answer the questions in my mind but not being able to put them into words.

You have filled me with a sense of belief and ignited a passion to go out and do it.

Thanks for taking the time to write this.

Well written and brilliant perspective.

:clap:
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion