walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Memory Map

Memory Map

Postby Eskimo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi,

I just got a copy of Memory Map. Does anyone know if there is a way to include the grid co-ordinates when printing even if the area you are printing doesn't show them?

Cheers
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Re: Memory Map

Postby jester » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:37 am

Click print, then check the GRID OVERLAY box. (I think, I'd have to check on my home PC).
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Eskimo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Ye that certainly puts the grid lines back on but not the co-ordinates. Any other ideas?

Cheers!
Eskimo

Postby colgregg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Im assuming you mean the northings and eastings. Seems the easiest way is to pencil the numbers in round the margin.
After spending a fortune on M.M. it's rather depressing to read this piece of advice in their help section.

"Given the vagaries of windows printer drivers, it is not a good idea to use the printed maps for navigation. There is no guarantee that the aspect ratio is correct, and this affects the accuracy of plotted bearings. It is possible that the ink may run when a few drops of water get on the page, making the map unusable just when you need it most. Always carry a proper printed map designed for the activity you are undertaking."

colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby monty » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi Eskimo,
Once you have ticked the "Draw Grid" box you then have to tick one or all of the boxes of the "Labels"

This will then print the northings and eastings on the grid. Play about with it. :D
monty

Postby jester » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:13 am

Eskimo wrote:Ye that certainly puts the grid lines back on but not the co-ordinates. Any other ideas?

Cheers!

I take it that when you did that the numbers didn't appear in small print around the edge of the map? Are you leaving a white margin around the edge?
jester
Mountain Walker

Postby jester » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:27 am

monty wrote:Hi Eskimo,
Once you have ticked the "Draw Grid" box you then have to tick one or all of the boxes of the "Labels"

This will then print the northings and eastings on the grid. Play about with it. :D

Doh, didn't notice this post, you are entirely correct. There are 4 'labels' boxes corresponding to the N, S, W and E sides of the map. Checking a box causes grid numbers to be printed along that side of the page. Similarly you can adjust the size of the margins around the map by changing the value in each of the four margins boxes. An increased margin means less map shown, and less ink used. If you want a small section of map printed at 1:50,000, select print at a fixed scale, select 1:50,000, increase the margin size, then print preview to see if it's suitable. If it is, print, if not close the preview and readjust until you are happy with it.
jester
Mountain Walker

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:35 pm

colgregg wrote:Im assuming you mean the northings and eastings. Seems the easiest way is to pencil the numbers in round the margin.
After spending a fortune on M.M. it's rather depressing to read this piece of advice in their help section.

"Given the vagaries of windows printer drivers, it is not a good idea to use the printed maps for navigation. There is no guarantee that the aspect ratio is correct, and this affects the accuracy of plotted bearings. It is possible that the ink may run when a few drops of water get on the page, making the map unusable just when you need it most. Always carry a proper printed map designed for the activity you are undertaking."

Sounds like a heavily over the top disclaimer to me! Haven't noticed that with Quo and maps always print to scale. I'm sure they are probably to scale most of the time in MM too....but don't blame them if not! :lol:
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby colgregg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:55 pm

jester wrote:

Doh, didn't notice this post, you are entirely correct. There are 4 'labels' boxes corresponding to the N, S, W and E sides of the map. Checking a box causes grid numbers to be printed along that side of the page. Similarly you can adjust the size of the margins around the map by changing the value in each of the four margins boxes. An increased margin means less map shown, and less ink used. If you want a small section of map printed at 1:50,000, select print at a fixed scale, select 1:50,000, increase the margin size, then print preview to see if it's suitable. If it is, print, if not close the preview and readjust until you are happy with it.

I Have only been able to put the long/lats on the map margin. If anyone can tell me how to get the UK grid numbers on the margins then I'd be grateful.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby boabness » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:15 pm

colgregg wrote:
jester wrote:

I Have only been able to put the long/lats on the map margin. If anyone can tell me how to get the UK grid numbers on the margins then I'd be grateful.

change your positione format in memory map to british grid,you will find that in the mode tab. then do as above
boabness
Hill Bagger

Postby colgregg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:34 pm

I Have only been able to put the long/lats on the map margin. If anyone can tell me how to get the UK grid numbers on the margins then I'd be grateful.[/quote]
Boabness wrote; change your positione format in memory map to british grid,you will find that in the mode tab. then do as above

Done that. but it still only does lat/long. I've only got MM 2003 so i dont know whether that makes a difference
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby Slogger » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:30 pm

colgregg wrote:I Have only been able to put the long/lats on the map margin. If anyone can tell me how to get the UK grid numbers on the margins then I'd be grateful.

Boabness wrote; change your positione format in memory map to british grid,you will find that in the mode tab. then do as above

Done that. but it still only does lat/long. I've only got MM 2003 so i dont know whether that makes a difference[/quote]

I have MM 2004 and the upgrade V5 version of the Lake District.
The option to print Nat Grid instead of Long/Lat is only available on the V5.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:141   

Postby colgregg » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:10 am

I'll just resort to writing numbers in the margin. Not worth upgrading really. Thanks Dave.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby Eskimo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks for the info - works a treat.
Eskimo

Postby malky_c » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:27 pm

HighlandSC wrote:
colgregg wrote:Im assuming you mean the northings and eastings. Seems the easiest way is to pencil the numbers in round the margin.

Sounds like a heavily over the top disclaimer to me! Haven't noticed that with Quo and maps always print to scale. I'm sure they are probably to scale most of the time in MM too....but don't blame them if not! :lol:

As you say, an over the top disclaimer designed to shift the problem onto you. Most construction drawings we and other designers issue have big labels on them saying 'DO NOT SCALE' these days. They are generally fine, and why else would we have issued them at A1size if you can't scale from them? :crazy:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion