walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

walking and fishing

Re: walking and fishing

Postby monty » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:39 am

HI Myth,
Thanks for that info. (I also had a reply to a private message to Caberfeidh) We have decided to leave the campervan at home and camp wild. We hope to walk Blaven and fish in loch Slapin if the weather is good. We then may move back to the mainland and do the ring of steal or brothers ridge. :D
monty

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:50 am

On the subject of weird things caught while fishing - I once saw a bloke catch a lobster on a rod and line from a pier. On being landed on terra firma the irate crustacean started chasing the fisherman, snapping at his feet - and he was only wearing trainers (the fisherman, not the lobster, obviously - he was wearing an exoskeleton).
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Myth » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:07 pm

monty wrote:HI Myth,
Thanks for that info. (I also had a reply to a private message to Caberfeidh) We have decided to leave the campervan at home and camp wild. We hope to walk Blaven and fish in loch Slapin if the weather is good. We then may move back to the mainland and do the ring of steal or brothers ridge. :D

Wild camps are not a bad decision at all, and the Steall meadows are a FANTASTIC place to wild camp if you do head that way!

Have to take exception to your fishing plans tho'. A "nice" day is not a "good" day for fishing on Scottish lochs. You need a good breeze to provide a ripple, overcast to stop rod/line flash and shadows on the water, and ideally I find, a light drizzle to bring the fish up (or a hatch of some kind).

I'd say all my best wild fishing has been in terrible weather (according to the non-fishers in the family)!
Myth

Postby monty » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi M..,
I camped alone in Steall meadows last week when I done the eastern 4 munros. I leave the fishing to my nephew. We were up Loch Quoich, Garry, Cluanne and others last month and he caught some excellent Pike and some lovely trout. No doubt he will agree with your comments but he just seems to be able to eek them out when i catch nothing hahahahha
monty

Postby francesis » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:44 am

Okay, I live in West Des Moines, IA and lately I have been fishing with some of my friends. Obviously the ice melted about a month ago and I need to know, What is the best way to catch big fishing or catfish in a local pond?????
francesis

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:55 am

Erm, I think you may be on the wrong forum. It's not obvious to us your ice has melted!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:27 am

An' we b'aint got no catfish, boy !
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion