walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Topped but not bagged

Topped but not bagged

Postby MikeyD70 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:54 pm

Hi all
well thats another Munro topped (Ben MacDui) but not bagged as we could not find the triggpoint for the clouds :?
MikeyD70

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Topped but not bagged

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:10 am

Claim it anyway and say the Grey Man nicked it;-)
mountain coward

Postby Myth » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:51 am

MikeyD70 wrote:Hi all
well thats another Munro topped (Ben MacDui) but not bagged as we could not find the triggpoint for the clouds :?

That's well clever - MacDui is a fairly clear rise on all sides to the trig/shelter... very, very unlucky!

I have been most fortunate on that hill, and have (I think) always seen a clear view from the top. Michael and John were both calling me their good luck charm in Cairngorms, as (apart from cairngorm itself - no loss) we had clear views from all the hills on our jaunt last month - in stark contrast to both their recent experiences!
Myth

Postby sloosh » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:46 am

Trig points aren't always at the very, very top.

I can't recall if the one on Ben McDui is or is not but if you didn't find the shelter cairn either then you're probably correct as I think the trig point is next to it.

Having said that my own view is 'close enough'. When you drag yourself up a mountain and get there then you've bagged the munro. Doesn't matter if you didn't 'lay hands' on the trig point or the cairn. If you were on the top you did the munro.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby susanmyatt » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:33 pm

We struggled to find the Moel Siabod top/trig point last Saturday and it took gps/map/compass and several minutes to find it through the mist. As it has been said the actual tops vary from trigs and in Wainwrights case not all his are the highest point, we recently climbed Graystones which is a point in case.As you climbed the bulk less a few inches I would say you have bagged it :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:13 pm

No, no, no, and NO! You must claim to have deliberately NOT bagged it. This will drive pedantic baggers mental.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby John Burgess » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:09 pm

:lol: You've almost convinced me to go back and 'non bag' the whole lot!
Mind you, that would mean climbing (or should that be non-climbing) Macdui again and, as Myth mentioned, it hasn't been my luckiest peak. 5 ascents before I got any view at all and I reckon it's only his continued good luck that got me a second view in 9 ascents. I think he's related to the Sun God Ra in some way :shock:

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby kinley » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:36 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:No, no, no, and NO! You must claim to have deliberately NOT bagged it. This will drive pedantic baggers mental.

No, no, no.

Deliberate non-baggers have as many screws loose as obsessive summit baggers. The 2 groups recognise each other as fellow travellers.

If stressing these folks out is your aim then a lackadaisical approach is required......."I was about 75m from the summit...good enough for me....I've ticked it off and it's in the bag" :lol:
kinley

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:06 pm

I've said it before but I'll say it again here - being an obsessive bagger isn't necessarily a bad thing. If I wasn't, I would be bothered to go up anything apart from my favourites in the much easier Lake District as I would be too lazy. If I didn't bag the Munros I would have missed an awful lot of parts of Scotland to which I'd never have gone if there hadn't been a bagging to be done! :)
mountain coward

Postby Can 0f Airy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:53 pm

Some years ago I walked out from Cairn Gorm in the mist and there was a continuous line of cairns along the path to Ben MacDui. Has Cameron McNeish been along there since? I wonder... if I see him on the hill and I disagree with him, is it acceptable to kick him over?
Can 0f Airy

Munros:197   Corbetts:13

Postby sloosh » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:32 am

Can 0f Airy wrote:... if I see him on the hill and I disagree with him, is it acceptable to kick him over?

NO! That wouldn't be very sporting at all. It is acceptable however, to bash him over the head with a sheep so long as you have a copy of 'The Wilderness World' in your backpack. It says so in the small print at the front of the book.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Myth » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:07 am

Can 0f Airy wrote:Some years ago I walked out from Cairn Gorm in the mist and there was a continuous line of cairns along the path to Ben MacDui....

Continuous is stretching a bit, and the path is well less than arrow like! There are still some cairns, but smaller than twenty years ago, and over the rock fields, only three or four, too widely spaced for clear navigation IMO.
Myth

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion