walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

walk with kids

walk with kids

Postby adamak » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:03 pm

I am visiting Scotland for a couple of weeks in June and will have two kids with me, age 9 and 8. Both very active. We plan on doing some highland walking and would like some recommendations for walks that would be appropriate. I am confidant the length won't be a problem however walks that are too steep may be difficult. We do want to get in some great sights of highlands. Any information would be great. Thanks in advance.
adamak

Re: walk with kids

Postby canisp » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi adamak
I'm sure we can help, but could you give more details of the areas you think you may be going to, Scotland is a big country, knowing this would make it easier to answer.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby adamak » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:36 pm

Our first week we have rented a place in Aberfeldy area, we plan on doing day trips. Second week we are still up in the air, we want to spend a couple of days on Isle of Skye -which I thought there would be great sights to see. I am starting to really do research now so we can set up accomodations soon. All areas will be in the Northern parts of Scotland. Standing stones would be great. I would love to go to Orkney Islands, however we are unsure if we can fit that in as well, that may have to be another trip. It is nothing for us to travel two hours each way for a day trip. Does this help?
adamak

Postby canisp » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:29 pm

Yes, i'll have a think about this, better than trying to work off the top of my head now. I'm sure Paul will help you with the isle of skye, as he lives there.
canisp

Postby bio-man » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:20 am

Hi Adamak

Plenty to do in and around Aberfeldy that involves plenty of exercise for young legs!! For easy to moderate walking, with a summit at the end, you could try Meal Mhor 546m and Craig Formal 511m. Both are reached by tracks from the centre of Aberfoyle, CF is closest, reached by forest walks and MM is furtherest, reached through open country track but passing by the Falls of Moness. There is also the Killin Railway Walk, best place to start is beside the War Memorial and head west. The initial part is on the National Cycle Route 7 and is all easy going. Continue over the A85 and you will eventually turn back on yourself and head to a point further up the A85. Crossing the road, there is an excellent burger van. Vension Burgers his speciality. The chap who owns the van is English but I can't remember his name, nice chap though. The van is closed 1 day in the week, think it's Tuesday! There you can also see the memorial to the RAF pilots who crashed their Tornado close by in 1994 (Glen Ogle). You can return to Killin by heading downhill on cycle route beside A85 or continue through deer gate along obvious track(longer). O.S.Map 41. Bikes are also very suitable for this whole route and you can extend it as much as needed. Killin Outdoor Centre hires bikes and provides routes as does Freespirits in Aberfeldy. The National Kayaking School is in Aberfoyle and you can book half day or full day. There is a guy who hires out his boat for fishing and sailing on Loch Tay but I can't remember his name. But I'm sure the tourist information Centre will have details. There is one in Aberfeldy. The Rob Roy Way stretches from Drymen to Killiecrankie ( long way!!) but the stretch from AB to Strathtay has now been diverted from tarmac to river and country walks. Lastl;y, the Falls of Dochart in Killin are quite spectacular, esp after it's rained heavy!! Oh and the Falls of Dochart Inn for refreshment!! (next to Falls!! and War Memorial).
Enjoy your stay.
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Postby canisp » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:15 pm

When i’m up north i stay at the campsite at Contin 20 miles northwest of Inverness. A good road system in this region allows you to travel in any direction from here. If you get up north a scenic area is sandwood bay, on OS map number 9, Grid reference 220650. From the car park its 6 km to sandwood bay, and you would come back the same way, with about 200 mtrs of ascent. But its way up the northwest too far from Aberfeldy.

If you find yourself near Inverness, you could visit the Culloden Battlefield, and less than 2 km away the Clava stones.

Glen Affric is a popular attraction on OS map number 25, from the car park at Grid ref 200233 a mountain bike can be taken along the south side of the loch. (but not the north side, at least when i was last there). The youth hostel is 13 km down this landrover track, so there is scope for a long or short day.

I don’t want to look on the black side, but i would plan a few trips to indoor attractions just in case the weather does not play ball. I’ll keep your question in mind and post more places when i can.
canisp

Postby adamak » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:24 pm

Thanks for all the advice, will keep checking for more posts.
adamak

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi Adamak

On Skye, there is quite a big range of easier walks on this website (see the Isle of Skye section; it's a great island for moderate walks though many of them are very boggy so bring suitable boots!

The Suisnish - Boreraig circuit (Broadford area) is a bit of a classic amongst low level routes and isn't steep, however it is pretty long and tiring so the kids would have to be very fit! In my opinion everything on Raasay is also very good.

If the ascent of the Storr is a bit too steep, it is still well worth doing the walk just up to the Old Man, the pinnacle below it, and exploring the area around that. This is a pretty unmissable place - one of the most spectacular in Scotland - but also very popular. The Quiraing further north is another really classic short walk; again to make this easier, just follow the main path across the hillside (one awkward rocky step requiring care but you could probably help the kids across it) to see the Prison and the Needle; again you won't lack company.

A personal favourite of mine is Rubha Hunish; again you can omit the trickier part of the walk on this site that descends the cliffs and just visit the old coastguard lookout instead. If you've got binoculars there's no better place to watch for whales and enjoy massive seascapes. Waternish Head is another fairly simple one but good views out to sea.

Shorter, easier walks include the Coral Beaches near Dunvegan (nice n' easy, lovely beach but quite a busy walk), Scorrybreac circuit at Portree etc.

[Time for a shameless plug] My wife and I are just finishing writing a book of moderate walks on Skye which should be out June-ish. [end of shameless plug]. Most of the routes are available on this website though.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby canisp » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:13 pm

If you find yourself on the road to Ullapool, you must visit the Corrieshalloch gorge, OS map number 20 grid reference 203780, you will spend less than 1 hour here, but do not miss it. The dangerous areas are fenced off, but keep the kids in sight.

If you pass through Fort Augustus, OS map number 34 grid reference 379092, you could look at the locks, and walk a few kms along the Caledonian canal and back. I’ve often walked bits of this canal when i want an easy day out.

If you like to visit brochs a scenic drive from Glen Shiel goes to two of these in Gleann Beag, OS map number 33 grid reference 830173.

If you look these places up on the web you will get a better idea than i can give you, also try

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/index.html

There is a lot of information here.
canisp

Postby katyfrank » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:25 pm

Dear Paul
I have been looking at your site as we are visiting Skye with 2 smallish boys next month and would like to do some walking.
I was excited to read your shameless plug about your forthcoming book but haven't been able to find it on the trusty Amazon site - is it out yet?
If not, is there another book you could recommend?

Thanks, Katyfrank
katyfrank

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:52 pm

Hi Katyfrank

Thanks for your post. Yes the book is out - just! Your post has given me a nudge to making it more easily available through the site. You can now order it with a credit/debit card (click to say you don't have a paypal account) directly from us by visiting our Skye bookshop flyer page!

Yes, it's even more shameless now :lol:

Hope you have a great time and especially don't get lost.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Myth » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:29 pm

Canisp has said all I would across his two posts - so big recommendation to re-read them from me :lol:

I've been taking my kids (now 12 and 14) to Glen Affric and Sandwood bay since they were about 4/5 and only now are they starting to tire of the visits (although the addition of fishing kit has re-sparked interest!).

I started them on Munroes at 8/9, and some of the more accessible ones (in terms of simplicity and other folks about) are well worth a visit - Cairngorm and Ben Lawyers for instrance. Neither requires excessive fitness or especially long walks, both are well populated for encouragement, and the views from both are magnificent. And the Cairngorm area has so much to offer, including the walks around Loch Nan Eileen and Loch Morlich should the mountain not appeal.

Good luck!
Myth

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion