walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Sugar Bowl Car Park to Lairig Ghru Path

Sugar Bowl Car Park to Lairig Ghru Path

Postby dazza4994 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Hello,

Was thinking of doing the Cairn Toul - Braeriach Traverse and was wondering if anybody knew if you can take a MTB from the Sugar Bowl Car Park to Lairig Ghru? What's the path like?

Cheers,
Daz
dazza4994
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   Donalds:18+0
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:38   Islands:12

Re: Sugar Bowl Car Park to Lairig Ghru Path

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:54 am

You could easily take it for a mile or so, but the Chalamain pass is full of giant boulders that are difficult to even walk over, then the path back from the Lairig Ghru to the pass would be a carry as well. If it were me, I wouldn't bother, some would do it though.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby monty » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:22 am

Hi Dazza, As BR has said you could cycle to the Chalamain Gap. This is about 3km on good path so it is a goer. Then its a great fast 3km back to the car. I walked when i done it but you can see the path in the photos.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5683 (I walk quite fast so my time is quite quick)
monty

Postby kinley » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Personally, if I was on a MTB I'd cycle from the west end of Loch Morlich up past Rothiemurchus Lodge.

I've walked out this way - this starts at 320m the Sugar Bowl is 460m. But you have to go through Chalamain from Sugar Bowl and drop 100m to the Lairig which negates the minor height advantage. It's only about 1.4km further from Morlich - with no Chalamain Gap boulders.

I've never been quite sure why the Sugar Bowl-Chalamain route is popular.
kinley

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:45 pm

kinley wrote:Personally, if I was on a MTB I'd cycle from the west end of Loch Morlich up past Rothiemurchus Lodge.

I've walked out this way - this starts at 320m the Sugar Bowl is 460m. But you have to go through Chalamain from Sugar Bowl and drop 100m to the Lairig which negates the minor height advantage. It's only about 1.4km further from Morlich - with no Chalamain Gap boulders.

I've never been quite sure why the Sugar Bowl-Chalamain route is popular.

That's a good suggestion, I was on that path again a few weeks ago and it's much easier overall than Chalamain Gap. The return back to the car would be pretty much downhill all the way.

I think the poularity of routes is very dependent on whatever is written in guide books and outdoor magazines and the Chalamain Gap is the route opted for in many publications. I have to admit to following guide books for quite a few years, but eventually I became confident enough to decide for myself which route to take. I reckon if Trail or TGO recommended starting at say Loch an Eilean and going by Glen Einich as the preferred route to Braeriach, rather than from Sugar Bowl, enough walkers would religiously follow that route to make it popular. It is a better route in my opinion.
I also believe that big estates influence walkers with the information boards and maps they produce, recommending certain routes to hills, to manage the flow of human traffic around the estate.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby kinley » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:39 pm

I guess my favourite route would be to head out from Coylumbridge into Gleann Einich and take the 1920's trade route up Beanaidh Beag and ascending the Braeriach N ridge between Coire an Lochain and Coire Ruadh - then carry on out to Cairn Toul and return via the excellent stalkers path in Coire Dhondail.

The N ridge approach is excellent - a bike could be dropped at Beanaidh Beag.

19km distance 1400m climb walking. 17km 350m cycling (or walking).

If I was walking I'd probably just do Braeriach and as far on as I fancied nowadays. :lol:

Braeriach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

kinley

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion